Author Topic: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness  (Read 5875 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 October 19 16:10 BST (UK) »
That’s an interesting find, Annette as the only William I could see in that time period was a William Winning Davren who was born in 1945 in Camlachie. As you say, we really need the details off the birth certificate. Maybe someone visiting one of the Scotlandspeople centres would be willing to do a lookup.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 October 19 17:10 BST (UK) »
This is incredible, and Annette7 you are just amazing. Thank you

As I mentioned in a prior post I was only guesstimating the 6 siblings ages but definitely something I can have confirmed properly a few hours.

If, for instance, it was as you suggest and that his parents were a John and Sarah there is only one marriage between a John Davren (indexed on SP as Davrin although quite clearly Davren on marriage certificate (had a few credits left) - however, this John wasn't the son of a John!

I am quite convinced now of the parents being named John and Sarah, My Aunty is adamant that was their names and although I had never had the chance to meet her I do vividly remember hearing a lot about my Grandads sister Sadie.....she was ALWAYS referred to as Sadie because she did not like sharing the same name as her mother.....which was of course Sarah

John Davren, Motor Lorry Driver, 23, son of Arthur Davren and Helen Hosie and Sarah Cunningham Winning, 20, dau. of George Winning and Annie Cunningham, married 12/6/1931 Calton, Glasgow. So, this dispels the belief that you come from a long line of John's and also that your grandfather was the youngest of 6 since he was born 1936 and John and Sarah had only been married 5 years at this point.

This comment is also very interesting and very on point to the stories I have been told over the years about both my Grandad and his Father being lorry drivers.

And I am actually very very excited about the Arthur Davren comment because that is what led me to this forum in the first place "Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness"
over the years though all the dribs and dabs on information I have received or collected I always end with an Arthur Davren....and I can never get any further........I just always end up with an Arthur Davren. My brother could simply be mistaken on the 4 Johns. My grandad was a truely amazing human been but he never liked to talk about his past or upbringing so my family have always had limited information and never much to start with, at times it became a very big guessing game.

I have ordered my Grandads birth certificate just to confirm his parents, words can not even begin to thank you enough. My dad will truly be over the moon with all this new information

ANNETTE7 YOU ARE AN ANGEL 😇 👼
So I actually think you are spot on here

However, the most important thing is to make sure you set off on the right foot and that is by purchasing a copy of your grandfather's 1936 birth certificate to definitely determine who his parents were. (It may indeed have been John and Sarah - who can say at this point - but family beliefs can get confused over the years .   There are, for instance, 3 birth entries for a Helen Hosie Davren - one in 1921 Bridgeton (dau. of Arthur and Helen?), one in 1936 Provan (same year your grandfather born but different place) and the third in 1940 Bridgeton. 

Annette
[/quote]

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 October 19 17:13 BST (UK) »
That’s an interesting find, Annette as the only William I could see in that time period was a William Winning Davren who was born in 1945 in Camlachie. As you say, we really need the details off the birth certificate. Maybe someone visiting one of the Scotlandspeople centres would be willing to do a lookup.

Thank you very much I am in the process of trying to obtain it right now. It could possibly just take a little longer than expected as I have never been on the site before so I am Just navigating my way though it. I'm sorry for the delay

Everybody always called him Billy, I guess it can be more than possible that his birth name may have been Billy. I always believed it was short for William but I could be completely mistaken.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 October 19 17:46 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Arthur Davren births, mainly in Glasgow. They are probably all inter-related in some way ie brothers each calling a son Arthur in each generation. Looking at first names I suspect there is a link to John Davren and Jessie Carruthers who married in Glasgow in 1882. John seems to have been born around 1865 in Perthshire which would tie in with him possibly being the son of Arthur Davren and Agnes Shilland. It looks as if Arthur Davren who married Helen Hosie was the son of John Davren and Jessie Carruthers.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 October 19 19:31 BST (UK) »
Once you get the certificate please post the details on here and we will help you to navigate your way back on this family.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 October 19 20:08 BST (UK) »
Possible births for three of the siblings-
Jessie M born Bridgeton 1937
Sarah born Bridgeton 1932
Helen Hosie born Bridgeton 1940

Valuation Rolls 1935 and 1940 show a John Davren at 192 Dalmarnock Road, Bridgeton. Electoral rolls in that same period show a John and Sarah Davren living at that address.

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 11 October 19 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
thank you so much for all the hard work and the constant updates. It's just amazing.
I know we are all waiting on the birth certificate and I have been trying hard all day.
I am able to order it with out complications but I cannot pay for credits to receive it.

I have tried 4 bank accounts and PayPal but it seems my banks here in Australia keep denying the payments as they see it as an untrusted overseas account.

I have contacted my dad and he is going to see his mum today so has asked her has she still got Grandads birth certificate.....They are looking
It seems very unlikely and if she doesn't I have asked dad to try and buy credits with his bank card. Hopefully that too won't be denied.
I have also sent an email to support to see if there is another payment method but the reply can take 3 days.
Im very sorry for all the delay.

on the upside I have the siblings in order from eldest to youngest: 
Sarah
Arthur
John
Jessie
William AKA Billy
Helen
Alec

My Aunty did tell me today that Alac Spent a good amount of his adult years in jail (possibly for embezzlement, unclear)
My Gran also told me some interesting facts today that I never knew.
My Grandads, Grandmother was married twice. With one of those marriages (more likely second) she took the sir name Wells.
And also I'm sure you counted 7 siblings above not 6, Gran told me today that there was in fact another brother Named Arthur who was a still born. Gran thinks that he may have been born between Sarah and John. So although Arthur was a stillborn, he should still have a registered birth.
And Lastly I did forget to mention earlier that my Grandad did spend many years in the Navy beginning around the age of 18-19 so perhaps about 1954-1955 onwards.
I hope these little details help to join the dots together

Thank you again.
I will keep you updated on Birth certificate, otherwise if anybody can recommend another site I would be able to get it that would be a big help

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 11 October 19 08:16 BST (UK) »
Could the second marriage have been to a Mr Ward (not Wells). There is a marriage in 1940 in Bridgeton between Helen Davren or Hosie to a Thomas Ward. Helen was previously married to Arthur Davren in 1904 and they had a son John in 1907 who I believe to be the person who later married Sarah Cunningham Winning. Arthur Davren  died in 1940 age 52. Helen Davren or Hosie or Ward died in Glasgow in 1965.
I think Arthur may actually have lived for a year. There is a birth in Bridgeton in 1934 followed by a death age 1 in Provan ( Glasgow) in 1935. The only other Arthur birth is in 1947 and I think that is the year Alexander was born ( in Camlachie). William Winning ( Billy) I think was born in 1945 in Camlachie. The other three births as I previously listed above. The only difference from your sequence is Helen but I think she has to be the one born in 1940 as there are no later births in the appropriate time period.
John Davren died in Bridgeton in 1963 age 56  and his wife Sarah died in Paisley in 1988 age 77.

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 11 October 19 13:24 BST (UK) »
Could the second marriage have been to a Mr Ward (not Wells). There is a marriage in 1940 in Bridgeton between Helen Davren or Hosie to a Thomas Ward. Helen was previously married to Arthur Davren in 1904 and they had a son John in 1907 who I believe to be the person who later married Sarah Cunningham Winning. Arthur Davren  died in 1940 age 52. Helen Davren or Hosie or Ward died in Glasgow in 1965.
I think Arthur may actually have lived for a year. There is a birth in Bridgeton in 1934 followed by a death age 1 in Provan ( Glasgow) in 1935. The only other Arthur birth is in 1947 and I think that is the year Alexander was born ( in Camlachie). William Winning ( Billy) I think was born in 1945 in Camlachie. The other three births as I previously listed above. The only difference from your sequence is Helen but I think she has to be the one born in 1940 as there are no later births in the appropriate time period.
John Davren died in Bridgeton in 1963 age 56  and his wife Sarah died in Paisley in 1988 age 77.

Yes I'm sorry I just went back and checked my notes and it was in-fact Webb not Wells. That's my mistake sorry.
Im sorry I still can't get the birth certificate, my dads bank wouldn't let him either. Would you happen to know any Australian sites I could obtain then from at all?