Author Topic: Islay Ancestors  (Read 21516 times)

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Islay Ancestors
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Ronnie - looks like you've hit the jackpot!  Marlid will be thrilled.  Hello Shauna - you must be a cousin to Marlid who I'm sure will be anxious to talk to you.  We're not cousins - just good friends who took a trip last fall to Islay in search of her ancestors.  I must say I'm beginning to feel like a member of the McArthur family with all the research we've been doing together.  I do have a Katherine McArthur on my tree from Argyll who married a McIntyre.  My line is McIntyres from Kilmartin, Argyll.  I managed to get back to John McIntyre (c.1721) who married Anne Campbell (c.1725) from Rashelly, Kilmartin but then hit a brick wall which I haven't been able to get past. Been trying for ten years now but never find anything new on them. 

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 15:34 BST (UK) »
hi
   i found Shauna and about 6 others researching the mceacherns,
every little bit helps me locate them in what records i have,
now i m of to find mull genealogy,
mulls a great place specially during the music festival,
i worked there for 6 weeks and caused havoc

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 15:54 BST (UK) »
do you have any other info on the Katherine that married the mcintyre
and does the spelling of her name change at any time

Offline Marlid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Shauna and Ronnie
Ronnie thanks a million for this information – I am so happy to receive it.  You are so good at this research.  Shauna – Peter and Flora (nee McEachern) McArthur are my great grandparents and Gilbert McArthur my grandfather.  In 1840 Peter McArthur purchased 92 acres on Concession 5 - Lot 13 - East ˝.  The following year he purchased the remaining 8 acres.  The farm stayed in the family until around 1998.  Peter left it to Flora – as you probably know he died when my grandfather was only 2 years old. I have seen documents showing her having title to the farm.  Gilbert eventually inherited it when he became of age and he left the farm to his eldest son; also named Peter (one of my uncles).  Peter never married.  There was a Gaelic bible in the farm house with all the family information and in the early 1970’s the farm house was broken into and the bible stolen – so all the information on the family was lost.  My father was the youngest of Gilbert’s 5 sons and he purchased the farm from my uncle Peter around 1974.  It was to be a hobby for him in his retirement years.  My late brother purchased it from my father’s estate and he had it until the late 1990’s.  The farm house and farm is now a group home for disadvantaged children.  I live in Barrie so we are not too far from each other.
Knox Presbyterian Church where they are buried is having a Memorial Service June 30th at 2 pm.  I know that is over a 100 KM. for you to travel but just thought I would mention it.
I have some photographs from the farm house that I think are Flora and Peter McArthur with his sister Elispy or Elizabeth and my grandfather.  However, there are no names on the photographs so it is just a guess on my part.  They were taken at a studio in Orillia.  I will send you a private message with my email address and if you would like to contact me please do.
Marlene

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 29 May 19 22:27 BST (UK) »
hi marlid
             your more than welcome i know how good it feels when you find and meet new familly,
shame about the bible we had a similar experience eith one but fortunately it survived and will
shortly be 200 years old,
at present i m checking out genetrix info on Katherine Mcarthur who married a mcintyre,
and have came across some interesting details on islay that could have origonated from mull but will need to go deeper into it,
                                    don t hestitate to ask if theres anythings else i can do i enjoy researching.

Raonull4

Offline Shauna Crouter MacEachern

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Thursday 30 May 19 00:23 BST (UK) »
Catherine McEachern married Archibald McIntyre and those are the correct baptismal records.  Catherine and Archibald were in Scotland during the 1841 and 1851 census and then in Oro, Ontario by 1861.  Archibald died in Barrie, Ontario in 1867 and Catherine in 1876.  They too are buried in the Knox Presbyterian Churchyard along with a number of the McEachern family.  I am so excited to hear about the open house.  I travel routinely to Orillia and Barrie and beyond for work, and for Costco lol.  I will be just back from my trip to England and France on the 26th and would love to attend!  I leave June 6.  Last summer I spent over 2 weeks in Scotland, but unfortunately only a few days on Islay.  I have copies of copious amounts of records from the Bowmore museum and archives, some of which I have not yet tried to sort out.  Lol.  I am utterly addicted to genetic genealogy and before my husband’s grandfather passed in January this year at age 93, I got his DNA tested.  So many wonderful new leads!  The MacEacherns are related to every Scottish family in this area , one way or another - I have McIntyres and McArthurs and a number of Currie and McDuffie/mcPhee/McFee links.  If any of you have done DNA tests we should definitely run a comparison.  My tests are in Ancestry, but also Gedmatch, FTDNA and several other databases.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 30 May 19 01:48 BST (UK) »
the archibald and Catherine i cant be certain yet but i think theres a mcintyre link to the isle of there
all the childrens names match mcintyre famillies on mull around 1722 and later the father being nicol and mother marion, also other mcintyre famillies on islay naming children nicol and marion, more research needs to be done

Offline Genetrix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 30 May 19 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ronnie:  I don't seem to have a connection with Islay.  My Katharine McArthur was baptized on January 1, 1749 in Kilmartin, Argyll.  Father shown as Duncan and mother Katharine McFarlane.  They were married March 17, 1748 in Kilmartin. She had siblings Isabel born Oct.12, 1751 and Malcom born April 20, 1753 all in Kilmartin.

Catharine (with a "C") married Hugh McIntyre on March 12, 1775 in Kilmartin.  Hugh was born September 19, 1749 in Kilmartin. He had a sister Elizabeth born Aug.2, 1747 .  Hugh's parents were John McIntyre and Ann Campbell.  IGI have a Family Group Record which shows John McIntyre's birth about 1721 and Ann Campbell's born about 1725 both of Rashelly, Kilmartin, Argyll.  This is where I hit my brick wall. 

Can't find anything further on them except for two trees on Ancestry which showed Ann Campbell's father as Colin Campbell which then went on to link her up with the Dukes of Argyll.  Quite sure this was rubbish but would have made a very impressive tree for me as it went right back to Cleopatra 1st, Queen of Syria who was born in 210 BC.  Even passed King Arthur and Jesus Christ on the way!!  Made very interesting reading but my tree ends with Ann Campbell of Kilmartin.  I did try to make contact with the two tree owners to ask where they got Ann's parentage from but, of course, they didn't reply.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 30 May 19 14:15 BST (UK) »
i m laffin like hell but don t disegard a campbell link to the duke your in the right area,
here s suggestion find out if theres a book of campbells,
i know there s lots of books that show the descendants of of scottish and irish clans
ie the book of MacKay in our case generally you can read them online,
but save reading them for a long cold winter in fact you might be better hibernating with it if you find one,
i sent the link to the book of Mackay to my wifes cousin and have nt heard from her since think she might trapped under the book,
also try on wiki for the duke of argyll, i know theres a lot of sites that show lairds and such and their lines ie who they succeded and who succeeded them, their children their siblings and who they married, i m attaching a sample from wiki you can click each name and follow them,