Author Topic: 1939 Register on Ancestry  (Read 15755 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register on Ancestry
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
Yipppeee!
Found via that entry the birthdate of someone who has been confusing me about that for ever! Gotcha!
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Just when I'd decided to cancel my sub to ancestry - they get the 1939 register.

Decisions, decisions....
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 10 May 18 18:51 BST (UK) »
My late father is redacted although his sister, who is younger and outlived him, isn't.
The opening of people born less than 100 years ago depends on whether the death registration can be found. If either is inaccurate or has been mistranscribed, the chances are slim.

Her sister's married surnames are added but the odd thing is that one who married twice has her 1959 remarriage written in in green ink, well after the registration act was repealed.
Don't forget that the same register was used by the NHS until 1991.  Marriages and deaths until that time would likely be written in. Some are on the right-hand page, where we can't see.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 10 May 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Just been browsing 1939 Register for Hindley, Lancashire, (NVCB) and found a page where every entry is redacted, yes all 44!   ::)
The previous page had only 10 entries visible with the other 34 closed.

Someone is going to be disappointed.  ;D It could even be me as I am struggling to find some relatives even though they were born in late 1800s and were alive in '39.

Added: I earlier found a couple (different area), right names & same address as mine but the birth years are 20 years earlier than the ones I have for them.  ???

Added 2: just found a second 'black' page this time in NVCC.

Is it likely that they were all evacuated children and therefore born well after 1917?

Good point! I found another two such pages in the first seven books relating to Hindley NVCA-G , before I gave up looking, and they were indeed toward the end of each book where late additions were entered according to TNA notes. One page where I could see part of the entries (the redaction had slipped) they were in red ink.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 10 May 18 20:31 BST (UK) »
How can you find a certain street?  I'm looking for Hinstock Road, Birmingham.  On FindMyPast there are loads of houses missing  :-\
Davies in Wales :(

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
Who are you looking for? Looking at FindMyPast there only seem to be even numbers in Hinstock Road. However, if you then click through the pages, there are a few odd ones toward the end. There are also a lot of whole sections which are closed records for some reason.

If you have access to FindMyPast, it is worth contacting them and asking about the odd numbers. I found a whole section of my grandparents' road missing (typically their house was amongst that) so I queried it, they checked  and were able to show it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 10 May 18 22:54 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for No. 26, I did talk to FindMyPast, but they talked a load of turkey  :P

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:26 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for No. 26, I did talk to FindMyPast, but they talked a load of turkey  :P

Are you sure there are people there whose details would not be redacted?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Scrumper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Martin 1886 - 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 10 May 18 23:48 BST (UK) »

Are you sure there are people there whose details would not be redacted?
My gran and gramps are there in the 1939 electoral register, they died in 1972 and 1950.  Can't understand why I can't find them.