Author Topic: PEARSON Family London, Essex etc  (Read 4922 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PEARSON Family London, Essex etc
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 12:24 BST (UK) »
I'm really hoping OP looks at the 'letters and correspondence'  Can't help thinking John Pearson senior might be an illegitimate son?   Or am I letting too many historical novels influence me!

I did wonder if there might some wrong-side-of-the-blanket shenanigans involved, but it looks rather unlikely that it was a father/son thing given that the 3rd Earl was born in 1761 and John Pearson snr c1772.

So - "faithful steward" to an earl with a childless marriage may just have been an especially close relationship built up over years of working together.

(I still think there was a hint of gossip in that newspaper item, though...).
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 13:14 BST (UK) »
Just catching up with all the good work done since I was last here! Amazing - such an interesting thread.
Only one disappointment - op was online last night and never commented!!!

Yes, excellent work all round on this thread. I think we rather might have swamped the OP with info so hopefully they will be back once they have had a chance to go through it.

I really got caught up last night reading about the history of Bognor and the Earl of Arran - all very fascinating! What a change it makes to research the aristos and gentry rather than my poor Ag Labs  ;D

I must confess my thoughts went to wondering if the Earl wasn't actually 'keen' on women, particularly when I started reading the tragic story of some of the later Earl of Arrans. But I also might be being swayed by his 'elegant taste' and love of his garden  ;D ;D

There is another interesting article 'Taming the Landscape' I read about the Arran Lodge gardens - in which it mentions the Earl's household were involved in their design etc - here:

https://alumni.chi.ac.uk/file/uoc-documents/2015_Chough.pdf

(note: it is a pdf so will download if you click on the link)
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 21 September 18 23:30 BST (UK) »
Just catching up with all the good work done since I was last here! Amazing - such an interesting thread.
Only one disappointment - op was online last night and never commented!!!

Actually I was not online, my wife was, I was indisposed. I have now had a chance to read the replies, many thanks, so will now be able to also reply

Offline sft456

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 22 September 18 00:28 BST (UK) »
Yes, excellent work all round on this thread. I think we rather might have swamped the OP with info so hopefully they will be back once they have had a chance to go through it.

Thanks for this Meriel

Many thanks all for the additional information, couldn't find the additional baps. Interesting connection with the Earl of Arran. I wonder if John snr's father John was also employed by the Earls. John snr's job may well have included collecting rents for the Earl of Arran (as a Land Steward). It is a pity that there is no further information available for Ann Broadhurst or Sarah ? both presumably passing away rather than divorce. I wonder whether Sarah had any children.

I am very surprised that this Tree appears to flounder in the 1700s, despite the supposed wealth that might have existed; I haven't experienced this problem with my own very much poorer families. Mention of John of Norton, must indicate someone knew/knows more (incidentally the statement John of Norton (Herts or Suffolk) meant that it is unclear as to which County Norton village was referring)

It would appear that only John & Arthur's 3 marriages produced children (19 in total) with only 1 grandchild to continue the line (though 3 more may have been born, subject to further research in the US) It would be interesting to know why these 2 brothers became clerics, their children also m clerics - a world away from the landed gentry connection of their father

Edward appears to have got lost

John Pearson (71)   
Steward to the Earl of Arran   
(of Arran Lodge, Bognor, Sussex & 10 Upper Gloucester Place, London)   
(1772 - 23.12.1843) FS Tree on Ancestry   
(bur 29.12.1843 at All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green, London)   
m (1) 8.11.1801 By Licence, St George, Hanover Sq, London    
Ann Broadhurst (   
(178? - )   
(dau of    
he m poss (2)   
Sarah ? (   
( - )   
(dau of    
he m (3) 3.1.1838 St Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex   
Eliza Smith (81?)   
Bognor Regis, Sussex (@1810 - poss 1892) Ringwood, Hants   
(dau of John & ?)   
she m (2) 30.12.1845 Christchurch, Marylebone, London   
Robert Richard Robinson (78)   
They lived in Paddington in 1861   
Surrey (1806 - poss 1878) Christchurch, Hants   

Unless I can find male siblings for John snr or his father, this Tree (as far as extending the line is concerned) is now extinct

sft456

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 22 September 18 07:39 BST (UK) »
But perhaps the Earl of Arran’s  papers may help.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 22 September 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
But perhaps the Earl of Arran’s  papers may help.

Agreed.  I would also be looking to get the 1838 marriage certificate of John Pearson and Eliza in case John’s father’s occupation is mentioned.

What’s the source for his being “of Norton”?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Sunday 23 September 18 12:13 BST (UK) »

What’s the source for his being “of Norton”?

It appears to come from ‘Burke’s genealogical and heraldic history of the peerage, baronetage and knightage, Privy Council and order of precedence’

I found these snippets at https://en.geneanet.org/ but you have to pay for full access:

Page 2062

…182SX had issue, THE REV. ARTHUR PEARSON, rector of Springfield, Essex, 1527-…

Page 2062

…London, 6. 1772, son of John Pearson, of Norton, near Doncaster, Torks, m. 8 Nov. 1501, Anne Broadhurst, who…

Page 2062

…Sir (Cyr M) Arthur Pearson, 1st Bart., G.B.E. of St. Dunsbm. in the o Mi Bty of frffnflmijfounderof St-Dunstans...

[ have quoted exactly what it says, obviously the text scanning software has misread some of the words and dates]

I would love to know what the full text says but cannot find any further info online.
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Sunday 23 September 18 12:15 BST (UK) »
And there is indeed a place called Norton just north of Doncaster, Yorkshire....

From: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-dict/england/pp439-441#p13

Norton

NORTON, a township, in the parish of Campsall, union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 8½ miles (N. by W.) from Doncaster; containing 628 inhabitants, and comprising an area of about 2200 acres. In the winter time a large portion of the township was frequently flooded, but it has been effectually drained within the last fifteen years. The Fellows of Catherine Hall, Cambridge, are lords of the manor, and owners of certain lands which belonged to a priory here. The village is situated in the vale of the river Went, about two miles north of Askerne. The tithes were commuted for land in 1814. Here is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Doesn't look like it has a church though, so Campsall may be the closest church.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 23 September 18 15:17 BST (UK) »
Ah OK - well if it’s from Burke’s I can look it up in hard copy during the week, if sft456 confirms the information is not already known.  I don’t wanting to be duplicating what’s already been done.

It’s always worth bearing in mind a slight caveat re Burke’s - the recorded ancestry of the (few) lines of my own family which are in there hasn’t turned out to be flawless.  I think much of what is in there has been submitted by the families themselves and, as with all family history, errors can creep in.