Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 68310 times)

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #153 on: Sunday 23 December 18 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Ask them which US state Springfield is in.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Sunday 23 December 18 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Ask them which US state Springfield is in.

Carol

Isn't that where Homer Simpson lives  ::)   ;D

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, so which state is it in?

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:41 GMT (UK) »
And one in Western Australia

I wonder what they would make of Heathcote in Australia.

There is one in Victoria, not far from Bendigo, about 100 Kms north of Melbourne

There is another in N.S.W., just to the south of Engadine, about 30 Kms south of Sydney CBD.

They are about 800 Kms apart, close to an 8 hour trip by car ;D ;D
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
There are probably about 3 places called "Springfield" or "Springfields" in the majority of US states. I think it is the US equivalent of "Newton" / "Newtown".

Murkans are notoriously bad at geography.

When the Olympics were in Atlanta, they had two phone numbers for tickets - one for USA and the other for everywhere else. People from the state of New Mexico were told that they had to redial and use the international number.

When George Bush senior started the first Gulf War, tourism to Florida suffered, because many resorts are on the Gulf of Mexico.

I think that many of the people involved were actively recruited to handle geography at Ancestry.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Sunday 23 December 18 12:52 GMT (UK) »
There are probably about 3 places called "Springfield" or "Springfields" in the majority of US states. I think it is the US equivalent of "Newton" / "Newtown".

Murkans are notoriously bad at geography.

When the Olympics were in Atlanta, they had two phone numbers for tickets - one for USA and the other for everywhere else. People from the state of New Mexico were told that they had to redial and use the international number.

When George Bush senior started the first Gulf War, tourism to Florida suffered, because many resorts are on the Gulf of Mexico.

I think that many of the people involved were actively recruited to handle geography at Ancestry.

Based on my personal experience of Ancestry's geography skills I would say so.  Interestingly I have no idea where I actually am right now as Ancestry say where I am (well think I am) doesn't actually exist.  Yet when challenged they cannot actually tell me where I am.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
It's easy to poke fun at the Americans and their lack of geographical knowledge, but sometimes the British get it wrong too.
I remember reading an article in the Daily Telegraph which confused Eastbourne, East Sussex with Easebourne, West Sussex. Subtle differences, but not the same place!
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
It's easy to poke fun at the Americans and their lack of geographical knowledge, but sometimes the British get it wrong too.
I remember reading an article in the Daily Telegraph which confused Eastbourne, East Sussex with Easebourne, West Sussex. Subtle differences, but not the same place!

My issue with ancestry's geography is not so much that they make mistakes but that when someone points out their error and provides evidence of said error they not only refuse to change it but tell the customer that it is they who don't understand etc. The errors I'm referring to aren't them remaining true to the original document either, I know the original document has the correct location.  Ancestry have just taken it upon themselves to misattribute it

Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sunday 23 December 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
I have been confused by 1 county having at leats 2 places with the same name. Suffolk has 2 Clopton's. One in West Suffolk and one near Woodbridge. It has 2 Hopton's as well. One near Thetford and one near Gorleston.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain