Author Topic: Seeking Parents of Thomas Frederick William Lewis Hastings born 1864 St Pancras  (Read 4665 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Parents of Thomas Frederick William Lewis Hastings born 1864 St Pancras
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 June 19 09:45 BST (UK) »
I think Mary nee Absolent died in 1951 in Leeds.

("Dec 25 at her daughter's residence. 47 Markham Avenue, Leeds 8, age 87, beloved wife of the late Thomas Frederick Hastings")

Edith having married Herbert Murgatroyd in 1919 and is later to be found in Leeds at that address

anyway that narrows down the death of Thomas to before 1951

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking Parents of Thomas Frederick William Lewis Hastings born 1864 St Pancras
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 June 19 09:59 BST (UK) »
1945 London phone book

T.W. HASTINGS & Co paper agents
329 High Holborn

entry above is
T.W. Hastings 43 Swiss Avenue
  I think this is a red herring. There is a T. W. Hastings at that address as late as 1977.

still not his parents sorry!  but if alive in 1945, should be able to find his actual birth date.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 June 19 10:13 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether you need to re-examine the theory that Harriet was Harriet BURRELL?

I suggest she may in fact be Harriet DACK, baptised 13 Jan 1824 at Tydd St Mary - parents Francis and Sarah.

Marriage 1: Harriette DACK, spinster, to William LEWIS, a silversmith, 20 Feb 1849 St Marylebone.

Marriage 2: Harriette DACK, “spinster”, to Henry HASTINGS, a labourer, 6 Apr 1863 St Luke’s Somers Town (St Pancras)

All parties “full age”.

Her father in each case: Francis DACK, a farmer in 1849, “dead” by 1863.  Was she a bigamist?  Was her first husband’s name the source of “Lewis”, or even “William Lewis”, in Thomas’s given names?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 06 June 19 11:34 BST (UK) »
Just looking at Thomas Frederick William STRIDE, mmn RAFFAN, in case he was adopted by Harriet and Henry Hastings.

Parents presumably are Philip Stride and Louisa Raffan, marr Mar qtr 1847 Marylebone.

Deaths:

Louisa Stride aged 37, Mar qtr 1864 St Pancras
Philip Stride aged 40, Mar qtr 1866 St Pancras
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 June 19 11:40 BST (UK) »
Louisa Stride and her 10 yr old daughter Louisa Sarah Mary Stride were both buried on 3 January 1864, so Thomas F W Stride’s birth (registered the same quarter) must be before that date.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 06 June 19 13:52 BST (UK) »
Just to muddy the waters a bit more, in 1891 with wife Mary there are 2 sons - Thomas Frederick Valentine birth Mar.1886 Shoreditch mmn Absolent, other son Herbert H. 3 born Walthamstow BUT birth entry shows Herbert Henry Hastings birth Dec.1887 West Ham, mmn MacDonald???

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 June 19 15:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether you need to re-examine the theory that Harriet was Harriet BURRELL?

I suggest she may in fact be Harriet DACK, baptised 13 Jan 1824 at Tydd St Mary - parents Francis and Sarah.

Marriage 1: Harriette DACK, spinster, to William LEWIS, a silversmith, 20 Feb 1849 St Marylebone.

Marriage 2: Harriette DACK, “spinster”, to Henry HASTINGS, a labourer, 6 Apr 1863 St Luke’s Somers Town (St Pancras)

All parties “full age”.

Her father in each case: Francis DACK, a farmer in 1849, “dead” by 1863.  Was she a bigamist?  Was her first husband’s name the source of “Lewis”, or even “William Lewis”, in Thomas’s given names?

Another reason to eliminate Harriet nee BURRELL - she's separately traceable in Sculcoates in 1881, when "our" Harriet (Hastings) is in London with Thomas:

35 Bourne St, Sculcoates

Harriet SMITH Lodger wid 49 laundress b Lincoln Tidd St Mary's.

RG11/4757/75/10.

Offline NicolleGoldman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 June 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, that is interesting information on his second (or later) Cope wife and sons.  I will follow up on everything I can find on them (including in India and Curacao!)

And now I am back to Thomas Frederick William Lewis Hastings b 1864 St Pancras OR Thomas William Hastings 1865 Bridgwater.

Can we find his birth registration, parents' names and marriage, and 1871 Census?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 06 June 19 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, that is interesting information on his second (or later) Cope wife and sons.  I will follow up on everything I can find on them (including in India and Curacao!)

And now I am back to Thomas Frederick William Lewis Hastings b 1864 St Pancras OR Thomas William Hastings 1865 Bridgwater.

Can we find his birth registration, parents' names and marriage, and 1871 Census?

As suggested upthread, I suspect he may well be the orphaned Thomas F W STRIDE - adopted (informally) by Harriet HASTINGS nee DACK, with or without her (possibly bigamous) husband Henry.

Harriet, Henry (if still alive) and Thomas remain elusive in 1871.