Author Topic: Service Records for the Royal Engineers, 1891  (Read 3915 times)

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Service Records for the Royal Engineers, 1891
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 May 24 18:56 BST (UK) »
oh do hope the cert helps do let us know,  I havent been much help lately sorry do ask if I can help you have my email   sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 May 24 19:02 BST (UK) »

I’ll definitely let you know Sandie!

And thanks so much for all of your help, it has been greatly appreciated 😊

Best wishes Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 May 24 11:12 BST (UK) »
Well, it was a waste of time and money ordering that Marriage Certificate from the GRO ☹️

The Certificate was completed by the Registrar Joseph Gorman, and so no signatures from the Bride and Groom. The only signature was from Witness William Henry Gregory and the mark of Witness Agnes McVeigh.

I’m guessing that the Bride and Groom’s signatures would be on the original Church Register? However, St Wilfred’s RC Church closed in 1990. I’ve tried searching on the Lancashire Parish Clerks Website, but can’t find Marriage Records for St Wilfred’s Church. Presumably the Registers were passed to the Lancashire Records Office? I’ve messaged them to ask if they hold them.

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 May 24 11:56 BST (UK) »
I could be very wrong about this, BUT!!  I am sure I was told that RC churches did not have to pass on their registers to the local Records Office like CofE etc, but that they were retained either by the church or by the RC hierarchy in the area.  :-\ 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 12 May 24 12:22 BST (UK) »

BumbleB,

Someone on here, (I can’t remember who) looked up the Marriage Entry for me, some years ago now. And so I had the date of the Marriage and the names of the Witnesses. However, it’s Richard Kean’s signature that I really want!!!

Romilly 😵‍💫
Researching:

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 12 May 24 14:39 BST (UK) »
how disapointing I think the original registers are at Lancaster Archives in Preston
sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 12 May 24 14:49 BST (UK) »

BumbleB,

Someone on here, (I can’t remember who) looked up the Marriage Entry for me, some years ago now. And so I had the date of the Marriage and the names of the Witnesses. However, it’s Richard Kean’s signature that I really want!!!

Romilly 😵‍💫i

GRO certificates do not show signatures. The records they hold  ARE transcriptions made by the local Registrars and sent to the GRO.

You could always try contacting the local Register Office to see if the hold an original entry. If so, ask if they will send a photocopy, not all Registrars are obliging.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline MollyC

• RootsChat Senior
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 12 May 24 14:55 BST (UK) »
I could be very wrong about this, BUT!!  I am sure I was told that RC churches did not have to pass on their registers to the local Records Office like CofE etc, but that they were retained either by the church or by the RC hierarchy in the area.

The C of E rules are in a Church Assembly Measure which has the status of an Act of Parliament (being the established church).  The RC church may have its own rules or not.  However I think many have now designated a Diocesan Record Office in a similar way.  In both, diocesan boundaries may cross local authority boundaries, so registers are not always in the most obvious place.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 12 May 24 15:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all your replies.

Jabber, I’ve messaged the Registration District concerned asking if they can help.
I’ve also emailed the Lancashire Records Office to see if they hold the original Marriage Records.

I’ve been round and round on the National Archives Site, but it seems inconclusive about what is held where…🤔

I do hope that this can be resolved! I’ve been looking for so long…😵‍💫
Romilly
Researching: