Author Topic: Small moments of pleasure in isolation  (Read 9311 times)

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Small moments of pleasure in isolation
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 14:55 BST (UK) »
 Nice temperature and clear and still, so better day for gardening here for me Mckha, mosquitoes thought so too though and I did have those little ankle biters around me in the morning, a bit breezy and cooler on Monday. Also had the company of our lovely fantails as I stirred the insects along with chorus of resident tui and a grey warbler sharing my sanctuary  :)
Quite secluded for a residential area with being back a long driveway from the main road and lots of trees on 1/2 acre, I do realise and appreciate that it really is paradise at the moment, so rather guilty pleasure when others are cramped for space.

Grass is beginning to green up a little but not much growth yet after the dry and leaves beginning to fall. For many years we've been getting a garden bag service, which was a good service and price, now the service has deteriorated and price escalated. March pickup was running late ... again, ( they messaged beginning of month before any restrictions ) every time I checked online account they put forward the pickup date by another day until it disappeared mid month and next pick up April ! ... Only online contact and more delay then an unbelievable and poor excuse from a lazy driver who reported no access, however my response was that if that wasn't rectified I'd be an ex customer this time.  I was a bit sceptical that the promise of collection and replacement bag would come within the week ... and lo and behold it did!! On a Sunday as well, 29th.  Very pleased, except now I have to make sure I fill it before the April pickup due 6th  :D Some seedheads and woody stuff and cuttings not going in the compost went in today.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
This brought a smile to my face.

12 year old twins in Sicily play a violin duet while in quarantine  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUzd9PII1ew

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
   The money I am not spending! I usually get £30 cash each week for small expenses; I still have half of what I withdrew nearly 3 weeks ago. ;D
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 22:05 BST (UK) »
Discovering old and new favourites on Mezzo tv channel. (Do you get that in UK?) Currently I'm listening to the LSO playing Beethoven's 9th symphony, while yesterday evening I watched and enjoyed a modern ballet which I would certainly never have seen otherwise!
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
I had a small moment of pleasure today when I opened my back door and I could hear..... nothing.

A welcome respite from the screaming and shouting from the children in two nearby gardens which has been constant since the schools closed.  I realise the kids have to play but it has made my garden a no go area.  I took advantage of the situation and did a bit of tidying around the garden, very relaxing  :)
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 31 March 20 23:30 BST (UK) »
Playing Draughts with Sarah.

She let me win too.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 06:35 BST (UK) »
This made me chuckle

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 08:37 BST (UK) »
The peace and quiet with no cars or motor bikes going through the village has been really noticeable.

The sky has been so blue and cloudless, no planes or vapour trails. It's surprising  how you get used to noise and when it's not there it has a very calming affect. Sitting out in the garden has been a real pleasure.

Like you CF our daughter has sent us numerous pictures of what activities our grandsons ( 4 & 7) have been up to over the last week, they're going to create a photo album of 'their time in isolation' as a reminder of how you can manage!

More gardening today, it's been a joy to be outside, unhurried and enjoying the sunshine.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 April 20 10:53 BST (UK) »
   The money I am not spending! I usually get £30 cash each week for small expenses; I still have half of what I withdrew nearly 3 weeks ago. ;D

That has happened to me too.  I usually have £50 per week.  I withdrew £100 knowing I may need more - that was 3 weeks ago and I still have £130 left.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex