Author Topic: John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie
« on: Monday 05 April 21 03:11 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
I have a James Stewart born about 1820 (died 1897) in my tree whose parents on his death cert are listed as John Stewart and Christina Baikie.  I cannot find any marriage between John and Christina and cannot find any births of children.  I realise death cert details are only as good as the person's knowledge giving the information - which was James' son, but I am hoping someone may be able to help as I am hoping maybe John may be a closer relation than presently being shown in my tree.  John's tee name is 'Loll'.  I can find 4 other people with 'Loll' tee names but no-one close to the dates I am looking at and no trees of any help either.
Hoping someone may be able to help.
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Stewart/Stuart and Christina Bakie/Baikie
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 April 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Duplicate post on the Banffshire board

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=847035.msg7141589#msg7141589

No mention of any connection to either county in your posts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 April 21 11:12 BST (UK) »
The first thing to find out is where he was born. Looking for a James Stewart in the census is a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. Whom did James Stewart marry and what were the names of his children in order of birth?

Where did he die?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 April 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp mentions James 'Loll' Stewart and Christian Baikie.

There is a document in the Moray Local Heritage Centre Lossie Fisher Folk by Donald Stewart, published 1996. Part 1 contains information about their descendants.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 April 21 11:28 BST (UK) »
The only James Stewart death in Moray in 1897 was aged 73 so birthyear 1823/24.  A James Stuart aged 70 also died 1897

No death in Banff in 1897
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 April 21 11:36 BST (UK) »
There is an 1891 entry for a James Stewart married to Charlotte & born Knockando 1822.  occ Mason

Is this the person you are researching?  If so - you already have his birthplace

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 April 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
In 1881 there's a James Stewart, 59, fisherman, born Lossiemouth, with wife Margaret and three sons. But I can't find him in 1891.

He sounds more likely to be a descendant of Lossie fisher folk than a mason from Knockando.

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian - thank you for your replies.  Yes I had found that 1881 census too.  Says he was born in Lossie.  He was married to Margaret McLeod.  He died in Seatown, Lossie on 12 March 1897 and that's where his parents are noted.  I opened the Libindx site you attached and saw the reference.  I have tried searching for a Christina Stewart death nee Baikie and a Christina anything really but haven't had much luck.  I know its a bit rich to wish for - but it would be lovely if parents named were both mentioned on deaths etc after 1855.  Mother's maiden names aren't help at all, particularly as you say when you have the likelihood of scores of people with the same name born around the same time in roughly the same area.
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 April 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
I know its a bit rich to wish for - but it would be lovely if parents named were both mentioned on deaths etc after 1855.
Generally speaking the full names of the deceased's parents are included on a post-1855 death certificate, including the mother's maiden surname. Provided, of course, that the informant knew that information.

Mother's maiden names aren't help at all.
I don't understand why you think they are not?