Author Topic: Death of Joseph Watterson, Jan 25, 1897, Philadelphia  (Read 2151 times)

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Death of Joseph Watterson, Jan 25, 1897, Philadelphia
« on: Friday 16 July 21 02:43 BST (UK) »
Joseph Watterson was born abt 1860 in Ireland as was his wife Sarah Hurl. They married Nov 9, 1885 in Philadelphia. Then Joseph died Jan 25, 1897 in Philadelphia, age 36, which makes a yob of 1861. I have a Joseph Watterson born Nov 13,1861 to James Watterson and Margaret Hurl. Would there be any way to find out the parents of Joseph either at marriage  or death. Joseph's first son was named James which could indicate that Joseph's father was James, if they followed the naming pattern. If this is the Joseph that I am thinking of, at least 4 of his siblings also emigrated to Philadelphia including Mary Jane Steele, Martha Elizabeth McAleese and the Benjamin that we have researched extensively, married to Lizzie Averill, and Adam.
Thanks for any help
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Joseph Watterson, Jan 25, 1897, Philadelphia
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 21 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
We have not covered this Joseph before. It makes sense to me that Joseph might belong to this family since 4 of his possible siblings went to Philadelphia but then again so did lots of emigrants. If Joseph belongs to this family, his mother was a Hurl so the Hurl connection is there. Also the date of birth is pretty well the same.
His oldest son is James which I took as a clue that Joseph’s father might be James but I have noticed on the links that you sent that Sarah‘s father is also James which could be the reason for naming their oldest son James.
An obit might name his siblings.
By the way Joseph’s date of death was January 22, 1897 and the January 25 date quoted is his burial date.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:09 BST (UK) »

An obit might name his siblings.
By the way Joseph’s date of death was January 22, 1897 and the January 25 date quoted is his burial date.

With the thought that some of the print might be a little messed up and the OCR software might not be able to pick up the name in a search, I checked the death notice section of the Philadelphia Inquirer, issue by issue, from 22 Jan- 30 Jan 1897. He does not appear in any of those issues.

I checked The Philadelphia Record, the other major paper of that time frame for Philadelphia, and found this notice. Unfortunately, it's no help.

The Philadelphia Record
Jan 25, 1897
pg 5

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 July 21 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you RJ137 for working so hard to find Joseph’s obit. It is good to have as verification of his death, with his address and cemetery.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 July 21 04:05 BST (UK) »
Joseph’s wife Sarah Watterson nee Hurl died May 23, 1929. If we could verify the names of her parents that would solve half the puzzle. I Checked all the female and unknown births for Hurl children born between 1864 and 1868 and the only one who had Sarah in her name was Mary Sarah and she was not born to James Hurl and Mary Watterson. However perhaps she was born before 1864.

Online Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 July 21 04:14 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say no females born to James and Mary between 1864-1868.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 July 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Think you have seen the death certificate for Sarah (1929) -  just says James  and Mary.

Interestingly Joseph and Sarah called there daughter Sarah Mary ..........

U.S., Presbyterian Church Records

Sarah Mary Waterson - Birth Date 8 Jul 1886 25 Aug 1886 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Church Richmond Presbyterian Church
Father Joseph Waterson - Mother Sarah Waterson.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 July 21 10:35 BST (UK) »
Grave details of the daughter Sarah Mary Watterson/Raines and family. (7 May 1928)
I wonder if James Hurl could be a brother to Sarah Hurl/Watterson ??

Sandra