Author Topic: Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Somerville / Sommerville  (Read 7062 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandfather Charles Edwin Somerville / Sommerville
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 12 February 22 02:04 GMT (UK) »
The Isle of Man and back is all fairly straight forward.
The problem is getting Charles Edwin of the Isle of Man to Australia and back and there and back a second time.

I do not believe Charles Edwin Somerville born the Isle of Man is the same man who married Hannah Parsons, but Loretta has not yet said why she thinks he might be.  I am willing to be converted.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 12 February 22 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I do not believe Charles Edwin Somerville born the Isle of Man is the same man who married Hannah Parsons, but Loretta has not yet said why she thinks he might be.  I am willing to be converted.

I agree, mckha489 . The evidence presented so far for the Charles Summerville in New South Wales, would suggest his birth was in London, and some years earlier than 1845.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 12 February 22 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Married 15th January 1839

At Lincoln, Mr Henry Somerville, surgeon of Cannock. Eldest son of the late Dr Somerville of Stafford to Frances, youngest daughter of Mr Rogers, artist, of the Hough Cottage.

23 January 1839 - Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser.

Hi baz201, I am not sure how that will advance the quest for the information from the church register for the marriage in New South Wales, Australia NSW BDM REF 2213/1868 registered date of the event - 22 February 1868, registered in the BDM district of Goulburn.   I am presuming it was a church marriage, but it may well have been a civil ceremony only.

I also agree with mchka and Neale,  and it would be great to know from Loretta how the dots do join up.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 12 February 22 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Nov 1871 Henry Somerville married in Kensington (London) to Dora Dobson, and Charles E was a witness

Fanny didn’t marry. She can be followed to 1901 as a school mistress

So allowing for say a minimum of say 90 days sailing time before that Nov 1871 marriage for the possible Charles E's passage from say Sydney to say London, and for at least two days travel from Goulburn to Sydney and time to arrange passage and luggage and then to disembark and arrange luggage back to accommodation in London .... say 100 days from the date of the wedding.... So IF the Charles E in NSW is also the witness in Nov 1871 marriage, he would have quit NSW in say August 1871 at the latest.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 12 February 22 02:40 GMT (UK) »
]

I agree, mckha489 . The evidence presented so far for the Charles Summerville in New South Wales, would suggest his birth was in London, and some years earlier than 1845.

The prison record for Charles SUMMERVILLE (sic) to which we were directed by Debra on the Australian thread, shows the prisoners birthdate as 1845. London.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 12 February 22 03:02 GMT (UK) »
Some conflict, since Charle’s age at death and on birth of daughter, suggest an earlier birth year.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 12 February 22 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Well, rather a lot of conflict all round really.

The 1876 crime was committed with one Ann Simpson, so if it is the man married to Hannah PARSONS, he is apparently no longer with her in 1876.
He is in Molong vicinity assaulting  and thieving ::)

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 12 February 22 03:33 GMT (UK) »
Well,  I am confident that there was at least one family by surname of SIMPSON in the Molong district in the mid 1870s...

Greville PO Directory 1875
MOLONG
Robert SIMPSON, grazier
James SIMPSON, sen., grazier
James SIMPSON, jun.,
none listed for SOMERVILLE or variations
none listed for PARSONS or variations

I note my ancestors were in the Molong district in that decade - Brymedura and thereabouts.

JM

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 12 February 22 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hannah PARSONS on the cert of the birth of her daughter Anna Maria states she was at born Crookwell c. 1847.

This birth perhaps
PARSONS Hannah
48/1847 V184748 66
Parents William & Elizabeth

JM, Do you see anyone of the name PARSONS in that area?