Author Topic: Death Dennis Hurl, after 1939, in Newcastle  (Read 1064 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Death Dennis Hurl, after 1939, in Newcastle
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:03 GMT (UK) »
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:07 GMT (UK) »
As you mention Proni, I assume that Killygullib is in Ireland?
I think this query would be better posted on the relevant Irish County board, where people will have more local knowledge to help?
You can give links to any related threads if its of help to the particular query.

Boo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:17 GMT (UK) »
I have posted on the Daniel Hurl thread, brother to Dennis. This is on the United States site. Daniel was born in Killygullib, Ireland,in 1865, his parents John and Eliza went to England, John died 1877-1881 in England, Eliza remarried in 1893 to Patrick McIlroy, son Daniel died in Utah in 1941 and is buried in Pocatello, Idaho. I didn't know about Dennis or Mary Elizabeth who married Charles J. Jupe in 1905 in Manhattan when I posted.
Thanks. Maybe I should post on Ireland site as well.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:53 GMT (UK) »
But I gather that English death certificates do no name the parents.
English certificates follow the same layout of English/Welsh ones so parents are not generally on a death certificate unless 1) one of the parents is the informant or sometimes 2) for an infant or young child

I believe Dennis' grandfather Daniel Hurl, widower, died Dec 23, 1891 in Killygullib, with his daughter Mary present to whom he willed everything as per proni. I did not find an obit for Daniel on British Newspaper Archive. Can anyone find his death notice? In all the records that I have found, I do not have a wife for Daniel.
Daniel was a widower so you can search for death of his wife 1891 back to 1864 although 1) she  may have died before 1864 or 2) she may not be the mother of his children
The Will of Daniel Hurl late of Killygullib County Londonderry Farmer who died 23 December 1891 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Charles Quin of Killygullib Grocer one of the Executors.

Maybe I should post on Ireland site as well.
If you do start another thread on the Derry/Londonderry board you need to include a link to this one and any other relevant ones to prevent duplication.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Denis Hurl died Sept 5, 1949 in General Hospital, 418 Westgate Road, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, but his permanent residence was 29 Park Road, Elswick. I received his will today and he willed everything to his sister Mary Elizabeth Jupe but if she were deceased, everything was to be divided amongst her four children, Charles Denis Jupe, Louise Jupe Wagner, Dorothy Jupe Eisler, and Mary Jupe Westerweet.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Looking back at the 1881 census for Eliza and her children Denis and Mary, there is a Patrick Coil age 27, laborer, born Ireland in the household. I don't have the original to see the handwriting but I am thinking it is Patrick McIlroy. He is 45 on the 1901 census.
Peggy

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 06 January 22 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Looking back at the 1881 census for Eliza and her children Denis and Mary, there is a Patrick Coil age 27, laborer, born Ireland in the household. I don't have the original to see the handwriting but I am thinking it is Patrick McIlroy. He is 45 on the 1901 census.
Peggy
Here is a snippet from the 1881 entry from FindmyPast. Intentionally written as Coil, but you are right in concluding Patrick McElroy being on the Census. Although it appears they have his age incorrectly recorded and the spelling of his last name

Findmypast truncates the listing to 5 rows is more are on the Census. Which I previously missed opening up the additional entries. Here's the 1881 Census again with all entries including Patrick McElroy. Plus the 1891 Census listings.

1881 Census
Eliza   Hurl   Head   Widow   Female   34   1847   -   Ireland
Dennis   Hurl   Son   Single   Male   11   1870   -   Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England
Mary   Hurl   Daughter   Single   Female   5   1876   -   Newcastle on Tyne, Northumberland, England
Patrick   Coil   Lodger   Single   Male   27   1854   Laborer   Ireland
Michael   Mc Guign   Lodger   Single   Male   24   1857   Laborer   Ireland
John   Crilly   Lodger   Single   Male   40   1841   Laborer   Ireland
Patrick   Mackleroy   Lodger   Single   Male   39   1842   Laborer   Ireland

1891 Census
Eliza   Hurle   Head   Widow   Female   44   1847   -   Newcastle
Denis   Hurle   Son   Single   Male   21   1870   -   Ireland
Patrick   McIvy   Boarder   Single   Male   34   1857   General laborer   Ireland
John   Dixon   Boarder   Single   Male   40   1851   General laborer   Ireland
John   Smith   Boarder   Single   Male   35   1856   General laborer   Ireland
Peter   Michael   Boarder   Single   Male   24   1867   General laborer   Ireland
Patrick   Inn   Boarder   Single   Male   24   1867   General laborer   Ireland
Charles   Quin   Boarder   Single   Male   24   1867   General labourer   Ireland
Patrick   McBride   Boarder   Single   Male   24   1867   General labourer   Ireland
Michael   Downey   Boarder   Single   Male   19   1872   General labourer   Ireland

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 06 January 22 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, waynenort, for including Patrick in the 1881 census. I wonder if some of the boarders are from Killygullib.
I have written the Newcastle library for obits for Eliza and Patrick.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 January 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Son Daniel Hurl emigrated from Elswick before the 1881 census. If we could find his emigration, it might reveal if his father was alive, depending upon when Daniel emigrated, if it names person at departure end of voyage, and might reveal someone at arrival end of voyage. Just a thought.