Author Topic: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC  (Read 1294 times)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 April 22 22:14 BST (UK) »
Forforian, thank you for your clarifications.  I didn't mean for you to spend 6 SP credits but appreciate that.  I have 6 Caroline McLeods but only two that might fit.  Most likely, Caroline Baillie McLeod born 9 Aug 1830 in Tain ROC to William McLeod and Jane Manson.  Less likely, Caroline Ross McLeod born 24 Sep 1818 who married William Munro in Tain ROC 28 Apr 1847.  There is one more from Dingwall but that is a bit of a stretch.  The most likely, Caroline MacLeod, mother MS Manson, died in Tain ROC in 1917 age 86.

I will investigate the other Ann McLeod and her son and post in a few days. 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McLeod (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 April 22 09:42 BST (UK) »
Don't worry, it was my choice - curiosity got the better of me.

I'm afraid I am a bit confused by all these M(a)cLeods so please forgive me while I try to sort them out in my own mind.

Where did you get the information that the birth of Ann McLeod's son Alexander was registered in Tain in 1864? Because it's not in the index at Scotland's People.

Also, which Ann McLeod was that? You said she was born in 1842 but there's no record of a baptism of an Ann* M(a)cLeod in Nigg in 1842, and the only Ann McLeod aged 8 or 9 in Nigg in 1851 is the daughter of John McLeod and Ann Mackenzie, baptised in Logie Easter in 1842.

Or could Alexander's mother be Ann Ross, the illegitimate daughter of Betty McLeod, who was in the 1851 and 1861 census with her mother?

Alexander McLeod, 17, born Spott, is an agricultural labourer in Renton, Berwickshire, in the 1881 census. I have yet to find him in 1871.

I remain completely at a loss as to what connection James Campbell McLeod has to any of the other McLeods in Nigg or anywhere else.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 April 22 23:45 BST (UK) »
The Alexander McLeod born son of Ann McLeod was a red-herring.

Alexander McLeod married Ann Martin in Spott, Haddington (formerly East Lothian), 27 Jan 1857.
There are a number of McLeods living in this area.  I had confused myself over some research I had done into the ancestors of Robert McLeod (1876-1958) The Miners Poet Cowdenbeath, Fife.  His ancestors were from Tranent, East Lothian.  Sorry. 

I am tracing all McLeod with even a slight connection to Easter Ross whether they are miners or gardeners makes no difference to me.

There was an Alexander McLeod b1835 Durness and Ann McLeod b1843 Uist in Whitekirk, Haddington (East Lothian) too.

All the posted information is much appreciated in any event and further clarifies who people were.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 02:11 BST (UK) »
My direct ancestor is Alexander McLeod born in Nigg in 1772.   
He was a 21 year veteran solider in the 71st Highland Foot Reg.,
Besides being a tailor, I have seen some references to him being a 'Writer'.

I have been investigating all McLeods who lived in Easter Ross because his eldest daughter Ann McLeod married Andrew McLeod in Nigg ROC.  The result of this marriage and many others between McLeods means a lot of them are inter-related.

If you're looking for descendants of Alexander b Nigg 1772 would it not be an idea to add the name of his wife?

It amazes me the amount of people who omit the names of wives  ::)

Is this a 'One Name Study'?

Can you add any references to Alexander being a Tailor & a 'Writer'?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 03:18 BST (UK) »
I am not sure how to split this off but here goes:  My ancestor and road block.

Alexander McLeod born 1772 - abt 1825 in Nigg ROC, was married or had a relationship with Christina McCulloch 1779 Nigg ROC - 12 May 1857 Forres, Moray.  Served in military bet 30 Jul 1797 and 15 Apr 1817.  He received a gun shot wound in action on the Heights of LaSarge, Portugal and he served at Battle of Waterloo. Someone wrote me that he was a 'writer' and 'master tailor'.   They had 7 children all born in Nigg ROC except where mentioned: Ann b.1 Jan 1801 married Andrew McLeod; Donald M(a)cLeod 27 Oct 1802 - 29 Mar 1881 Lethenhill married to Elizabeth Phillip; Christian 16 Nov 1804 - 14 Dec 1883 Elgin married James Glass (his 2nd marriage); William MacLeod 1816 - 20 Dec 1896 married to Margaret McKenzie; Williamina McLeod 1817 - 16 Jun 1886; Ann Duff McLeod 1824 - 16 Nov 1889; and Alexander McLeod 1826 Duffus, Moray - 31 Aug 1875.

I don't know his date or location of death.  Alexander, in my line, was born in 1826.

My suspicion is he is a son of Sgt Donald McLeod 1688-1796.  His wife is a daughter of Andrew McCulloch (even though death cert indicates William) and Ann Duff, William McCulloch and Jennet Gallie grandparents.  William Duff being Ann Duff's father.

Ann McLeod's husband Andrew has a brother Donald McLeod married to Christina McLeod; and a sister Margaret McLeod married to Hugh McLeod.  Finlay McLeod and Margaret Ross are this Andrew's grandparents.  So you should be able to tell from this that they account for a lot of McLeods.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 03:42 BST (UK) »
So you should be able to tell from this that they account for a lot of McLeods.

...Who likely originated on Skye.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 03:49 BST (UK) »
Alexander McLeod born 1772 - abt 1825 in Nigg ROC, was married or had a relationship with Christina McCulloch 1779 Nigg ROC - 12 May 1857 Forres, Moray.

What info. is on the DC of Christina & who was the informant?

Is there any info. on the baptisms which lead you to believe they may not have been married?

Do the names of sponsors give any clues to possible family members?

Annie

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 08:03 BST (UK) »
If your subject heading is incorrect you need to change it to be-

Andrew ROSS (1817-) and Ann McLeod (1823-) & family Balnapailing, Nigg ROC

It would be better to work on one family at a time. From reply #1 - this is your family, Census 1861?.

How have you identified Andrew ROSS and Ann McLEOD, married 1840, Nigg to be your ancestors?

Which son or daughter named in this Census, 1861, is your ancestor?

Ancestry Census Scotland 1861  Balnapailing   Ross and Cromarty

ROSS Andrew   44y  fisherman   
ROSS Ann        38y
ROSS Dolina     18y
ROSS James     14y   fisherman
ROSS Duncan   12y
ROSS Ann        10y
ROSS Andrew    8y
ROSS Thomas    6y
ROSS Helen       4y

all born Nigg Rosshire

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 05 April 22 10:05 BST (UK) »
How have you identified Andrew ROSS and Ann McLEOD, married 1840, Nigg to be your ancestors?
I don't think we have got to that point.

Unless Sildeag has already looked at Ann's death certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.