Author Topic: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information  (Read 21885 times)

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 15:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you yet again - John and ShaunJ

John - I have emailed you re George - think I went wrong trying to message you so apologies

ShaunJ - So many links to Leslie - wonderful - will follow them up asap.

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Kenya: Sir Gregor Aubrey Graham - Kitale - Planter - Looking for any Information
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 22 June 22 22:31 BST (UK) »
An Update on current situation of my research into the Graham Family, with thanks again for all the help I have received so far and suggestions as to where I might further my investigations.  It reminded me just to google the names concerned and I have made some progress.

Sir Gregor Aubrey or Aubrey Gregor Graham - now checking FindMyPast for any sailings to and from UK and Nigeria before 1913.

His wife - Mabel Fannie - intending to visit Somerset & Devon Archives sometime next month to confirm all records.  None of course between 1939 and her death but that is to be expected.

His elder son - Leslie Aubrey Hammond - Thank you John for all the Links - have added all the records to his profile but still not found evidence of his death.

His daughter - Monica Audrey Freda - not found her marriage yet but have discovered that  she renounced her married name Preddy on 27 May 1952 as per General Notice No 1262 of the Kenyan Gazette which proves that the information of her death under her maiden name and her life back in Somerset is valid.  Still have gaps between 1921 to 1952 and then to 1992.  Will hopefully find more when I visit the relevant Archives.

Monica's husband - Frank Sayer Preddy - found nothing to date but haven't worked on his profile yet as more concerned in completing others in this family so far.

Younger son - George Angus Ian - have discovered (with Rootschat contributors expert assistance) most if not all of his records - so thank you again.

His Father - Aubrey Graham - yet to post a topic on New Zealand section - won't worry too much as really just want some information as to prove birth of Sir GA/Ag in New Zealand - trying to not go down to many rabbit holes.

Mabel's sister - my Great-Aunt Ethel Lillian May - Interested in finding more about her life in Northern Transvaal and South Africa - still to clarify whether she was ever married to a Burroughs.

Her husband - Cyril - have as much information on him as I think is necessary for my Family History research.

Their daughter - Muriel Betty - Don't know when she died as yet but am fairly certain that she never married as my mother's research showed her to be single and I have no reason to doubt this.

I have been delighted to find out so much about my granny's sisters and their families - have made more progress in the past week than I had in 8 years of research - I will certainly use Rootschat more often in the future and recommend this site to members of my u3a Family History Group and other friends as well.

Viv Winterburn

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 23 June 22 07:05 BST (UK) »
Credit must go to ShaunJ for info on Leslie Aubrey, well found

John

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 23 June 22 07:18 BST (UK) »
Another probable hit for Leslie Graham in Uganda:

"After crashing about for another half hour Leslie Graham suggested we should return, as he had left the bottle back at the house ."

https://tinyurl.com/3amrf8mu
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 23 June 22 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you once more ShaunL for this link - added it to my Family History profile of him. 

I have now registered with Google Books so I can hopefully find more information about Leslie - so grateful ShaunL for all your research in this area.

I have also emailed NARSSA about Ethel (as per the Reference No supplied earlier in this topic), Cyril and Muriel's whereabouts and deaths.

I now intend to contact the relevant Archives for Kenya and Uganda in the hope to see if they are willing and able to supply any information relating to Aubrey Gregor, Leslie and Monica.

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 23 June 22 13:30 BST (UK) »
JohnHood - thank you so much for -

setting me on the path of hunting down the newspaper article in the Exeter & Plymouth Gazette in 1940 - obtained it via FindMyPast & have finally finished adding all the information about all of the members of the Graham Family mentioned to their various profiles.

Offline Ili1133

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 23 June 22 18:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for such a comprehensive summary, Viv.

And I agree - well found ShaunJ and johnhood. Using those forgotten skills you’ve prompted here are a few extra details and observations regarding Monica and Leslie:

Monica:
 - address in Kitale on 6 Jan 1948 per Sir Aubrey’s death notice
 - appears in the Kenya Gazette (searchable online) Nov 1949-Jul 1952 regarding at least two land grant applications in Kitale. The first (issues 51/55 and 52/11) for an acre for residential purposes appears to be withdrawn, in the second (issues 52/27 and 54/44) the State appears to refuse a land grant of 321 acres, which was taken to the Court of Appeal.
- There’s also a photo of Monica (sadly not accessible online) at the Kitale Air Show in 1951 (Old Africa Magazine Issues 1-7, p25).

Leslie: nothing more substantive to add, but have you considered contacting Caro Ayre, who holds Peter Ayre’s collection of public and private documents which form the europeansinafrica database? That’s the only place the date of 2000 is mentioned for Leslie’s death (under his father’s entry) and it may be from a notice in the Kenyan press. Caro ‘is willing to answer queries’ and may be able to tell you what sources Peter was using for relatively recent updates to the data. I can’t post the personal email here but you can find it via this link: https://en.gravatar.com/caroayre

Also, although it may not lead directly to Leslie’s death, have you consulted Mabel Fannie and Monica’s wills? They might provide you with an idea of whether he was alive at the time.

Good luck with the next steps,

Helen

Offline samanthator

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 23 June 22 18:42 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ - more thanks for encouraging me to investigate Google Books, europeansineastafrica.co.uk and the Kenyan Gazette issues through the years.

I have now found the dates of Frank's and Monica's divorce and the name and birth of their daughter, Jean thanks to your hints.

Thank you Helen for your comments - and your advice about contacting Caro Ayre and to search all the relevant wills.

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
 samanthator, good morning. The below is for "speculative notes" only.

Frank Sayer Preddy. A slightly unusual second christian name. In 1862 a John Sayer Preddy is born in Somerset UK. He migrates to South Africa and marries as link 1 dies as link 2.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ark:/61903/1:1:CDF4-K46Z

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-6S25-K?i=1540&cc=2517051

Cannot find evidence that he had a son Frank, there is this death that you may have seen.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91V-99TF-V?cc=3732506&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A89FG-912M

John

Added:, just found this, The death of Frank & Monica's daughter Margaret Jean. Note the father is recorded as G Frank Preddy. The G may be an error as was the entry going on to say Monica G and been crossed out.

Timelines, Monica born 1913, Margaret Jean 19.10.1934, so any potential marriage for Monica c 1931-34

confirmation of Margaret Gores  son A C  (see mother's maiden name) + another son Ross Angus J listed with same mmn

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BMD%2FOVS%2FABR1%2F001829&parentid=BMD%2FOVS%2FABR1%2F001829%2F013