Author Topic: Possibility/likelihood for DNA match from 1830?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility/likelihood for DNA match from 1830?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 September 22 18:54 BST (UK) »
I’m back.  I inadvertently chose the hottest week of the year to move some garden rocks.  I wanted to finish the project today and finish this morning before temps reached 105° (40 Celsius?).

Bearkat, I definitely will have a look around.  From what I’ve found, my Vaus folks stayed in and around Shipley (c1715-1820s).  No jaunts to Lewes.  ;D

coombs, you brought up a good point.  While I’ve spent an incredible amount of time checking DNA for some of my ancestors, I really haven’t thoroughly checked my Vaus, Cooper, etc. ancestors.  Perhaps if I spend the same amount of time looking for Vaus connections, I might have similar (positive) results, or at least find out that there isn’t a connection.  Thank you for making me think about what I have and haven’t done.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 September 22 19:17 BST (UK) »
Hi coombs.  If you are still here, do you mind if I ask if your Jupp ancestors were from the Shipley area?  Perhaps Jupp was a somewhat common name, but I’m almost positive I’ve run into that name before.  Perhaps during the very early 1800s or late 1700s?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 September 22 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hi coombs.  If you are still here, do you mind if I ask if your Jupp ancestors were from the Shipley area?  Perhaps Jupp was a somewhat common name, but I’m almost positive I’ve run into that name before.  Perhaps during the very early 1800s or late 1700s?

My Jupp family came from Horsham. Timothea Jupp born c1680 to William Jupp.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 02 September 22 00:01 BST (UK) »
I possibly have seen your family then.  I looked through my Vaus binder (contains birth, marriage and burial photocopies that were printed at least 20 years ago) after I wrote my question and there were at least two Jupp births on the same pages as my Vaus folks.

I just looked through the binder again and see:
Baptisms
October 4 1778, Eliz., daughter of Charles and Hannah Morgan
November 29 1778, Henry, son of John and Eliz. Jupp

Sarah Morgan, a daughter of Charles and Hannah, married one of my Vaus ancestors.  William Vaus (born 1761) lived in Horsham at the time of his death. If John and Eliz. were your ancestors or connected to your family, perhaps our ancestors knew each other and possibly attended the same church.

William Vaus’ father, also named William Vaus, was a church warden at St. Mary the Virgin Church in Shipley.  I was told that he and another fellow donated a bell to the church.

It’s been years since I’ve really researched my Vaus’ but I am almost certain that there is a connection to a Jupp person.  Maybe I can find it in my binder.  On the other hand, I suppose there could have been two or more unrelated Jupp families living in and around Horsham. Especially since your Jupps were in Horsham 100 years before the above records.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 02 September 22 05:00 BST (UK) »
I agree with all previous comments and suggestions. Something else you might like to consider is uploading your raw data to FTDNA, Living DNA and My Heritage. This will broaden your Vaus horizons and may pick up matches who have tested with other companies. Some people find Gedmatch useful as well.

With FTDNA and My Heritage there is a fee involved to unlock their useful tools. I recommend you do this.

Nearly all of my matches come through the female lines, so surnames have changed upon marriage, often through several generations.

I believe Ancestry now split matches into maternal and paternal sides. I haven’t tested with Ancestry so don’t know if this is useful or accurate, but I would normally suggest testing another known Vaus descendant or someone from other family lines, so you can compare matches to eliminate matches from other branches and determine which are from the Vaus line.

It is also worth revisiting matches’ trees periodically. I did this a couple of weeks ago and it led to hitting the biggest gold mine imaginable.  ;)

Good luck.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 September 22 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie.  I actually logged in to Gedmatch earlier today and became frustrated with my lack of knowledge regarding moving around the site.

I will read more of your comments later, hopefully.

We live in drought stricken California. We just found out that a fire started near our town.  It is evening here, so aircraft probably won’t be able to help extinguish the flames. I hope to be online again tomorrow.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 02 September 22 05:48 BST (UK) »
That’s very worrying Lisa. Stay safe.

Added: I don’t get along with Gedmatch either but some seem to - they probably have more patience than me.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 02 September 22 06:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Ruskie.  We moved to the “foothills” a couple of years ago.

Sorry, I’ve been pacing and started to reply to give me something to do while we wait for updates.  The fire is spreading a bit so I better stop.

Hopefully, they can contain it tonight.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 September 22 06:12 BST (UK) »
Do you have a plan if the fire spreads? People in the path of bushfires here are generally advised to pack up and be ready to leave.  :(Timing can be crucial.