Author Topic: Possibility/likelihood for DNA match from 1830?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility/likelihood for DNA match from 1830?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 02 September 22 23:37 BST (UK) »
Once things settle down here I will resume following up on suggestions, reading the link, checking matches with Bearkat and lemur41, etc.  Thank you all again for your suggestions and comments.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 02 September 22 23:47 BST (UK) »
One of my parents has very few matches descended from siblings of a gt-grandmother who was born in London in the 1830s (parents from Wiltshire and Sussex), but lots of matches and obvious segments via the Scottish gt-grandfather, her spouse.  The Scottish matches trace back to the gt-grandfather's maternal grandfather who was born in 1774 - he was one of about a dozen children.

It's clear that more DNA from the Scottish ancestors on this branch has been passed down than from the Wiltshire/Syssex branch.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 03 September 22 00:59 BST (UK) »
hurworth, your comment is very interesting.  I wonder if your DNA “results” might be what has happened with my DNA situation.

According to the latest DNA update, the ethnicity estimate is
32% Scottish, 38% Ireland, 15% England & NW Europe for me
38% Scottish, 29% Ireland, 21% England & NW Europe for my brother
   and little bits and pieces equaling 100%.

I know that the estimate covers more than just Scotland, etc., but I have yet to find any Scottish ancestors (one gggmother was born in Belfast, Ireland but I don’t believe my known ancestors lived in the area covered in the Scottish region - that is another thing that I will put on my list of things to check).

Getting to the point, out of my four gggparents, I have several matches with Mumford descendants (Mumford married Vaus) several matches with the other gggfather (Stuart) and at least one match with the other gggmother (Fowley).

I only know for certain that James Stuart was born in Sligo, Ireland, c1815 (Sarah Fowley was born in Sligo, but I don’t know anything about Sarah’s parents). However, we aren’t positive where James’ parents were born.  Perhaps more Scottish DNA was passed down, possibly cancelling out a large percentage of the Vaus DNA and over time, the percentage grew even less.

If I correctly read your comment and correctly applied it to my ancestors, the above could be one reason I have not yet found Vaus descendants.

Thank you for explaining your situation.  It has really made me think!
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 03 September 22 01:09 BST (UK) »
I wasn't thinking of the ethnicity estimates.  My parent tested at FamilyTreeDNA and uploaded to MyHeritage, so we are able to actually see the segments that we think were inherited from various ancestors (based on shared segments with known cousins).

My other parent shares no DNA at all with a 3C1R - there's absolutely nothing amiss in either lineage though.  The uncle (3C) of the person who doesn't match, is a weak weak.  Yet 4th cousins from this line (going back a generation to siblings of the mutual gtgt-grandmother who was born about 1800) share more DNA than the 3C.  It's just the way things DNA is passed down.  A 5C (descends from the gtgt-grandmother's maternal uncle) popped up on the matchlist recently too.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 September 22 03:16 BST (UK) »
Just a quick post to say glad you are safe Lisa, and hopefully conditions will improve there soon.

Will let this thread get back on topic.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 September 22 10:25 BST (UK) »
I wasn't thinking of the ethnicity estimates.  My parent tested at FamilyTreeDNA and uploaded to MyHeritage, so we are able to actually see the segments that we think were inherited from various ancestors (based on shared segments with known cousins)…

Thank you, hurworth for the explanation. After I catch up on things that have been mentioned, I really do need to take time to play with gedmatch and possibly check out other sites.

A few years ago, my sister-in-law and her two sisters had their DNA tested and they received noticeably different results.  It is strange how DNA is passed down but I suppose it is similar to siblings having different hair and eye colour and other visual traits.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 September 22 10:32 BST (UK) »
Just a quick post to say glad you are safe Lisa, and hopefully conditions will improve there soon.

Will let this thread get back on topic.  :)

Thank you, Ruskie.  There is still an active fire but evacuation orders have been lifted so that’s a huge relief for everyone.  Hopefully, the worldwide fire, flood and excessive heat issues will soon diminish.

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 September 22 14:40 BST (UK) »
Not sure yet how far back autosomal DNA can take you but the generations multiply the further back you go, so you will have 64 great, great, great, great grandparents. And 132 5xgreat grandparents, so unless the line is the paternal line or maternal line, inheriting DNA from one of your other 132 5xgreat grandparents is a very small chance. Such as a mother,s mothers, mothers, fathers, mothers, mothers, father's father for example.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 03 September 22 20:27 BST (UK) »
Good point and one that I hadn’t considered prior to this week, Coombs, thank you.  That could explain why I have not yet found Vaus or the parents, grandparents, etc.

Thanks to all of the comments, I now understand more about how DNA works.  In addition to how DNA is inherited, how many descendants have taken tests, etc., I believe there is still a chance to find descendants from this branch.  While scrutinizing my “6” generation chart (I typed my own chart in 1993 and still prefer my tattered pieces of papers to an electronic version)  :o  I realize that I’ve been concentrating (sometimes heavily) on other surnames and DNA matches.  I now consider this to be a challenge and will spend time searching for this branch of my tree.