Author Topic: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911  (Read 13892 times)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 14:11 GMT (UK) »
I still believe that the 'supposed' marriage that was noted on your Mary Nora Graham's baptism was an error by the priest and should have been attached to Mary Norah Milburn's baptism.
Therefore the Milburn-Trainer marriage is a red herring (as indicated by the records Ladyhawk found) and I'd discount it completely as such

You have her birth cert, census for 1901 and 1911 in England , marriage record to James C Chalmers and her death record 1930 in Burntisland, Fife, Scotland which gives her widower as James C Chalmers and Patrick Graham and Catherine (nee Coleman) as her parents.

and I've just looked at the 1921 census for Scotland I searched for Mary N Graham, age 20-22 and got just one result - in Burntisland.
She's a servant (cook) for a family by the name of Ayre who originated in South Shields
Mary Norah Graham age 21 years and 10 months, born Northumberland, Newcastle

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I found a clearer image on F M P for the marriage entry and their Childs name matches that of the entry on FreeBMD

Thanks very much. It seems no doubt that Mary Norah Milburn married James Trainor and that Mary Norah Graham married Joseph cowper Chalmers.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 15:06 GMT (UK) »
I still believe that the 'supposed' marriage that was noted on your Mary Nora Graham's baptism was an error by the priest and should have been attached to Mary Norah Milburn's baptism.
Therefore the Milburn-Trainer marriage is a red herring (as indicated by the records Ladyhawk found) and I'd discount it completely as such

You have her birth cert, census for 1901 and 1911 in England , marriage record to James C Chalmers and her death record 1930 in Burntisland, Fife, Scotland which gives her widower as James C Chalmers and Patrick Graham and Catherine (nee Coleman) as her parents.

and I've just looked at the 1921 census for Scotland I searched for Mary N Graham, age 20-22 and got just one result - in Burntisland.
She's a servant (cook) for a family by the name of Ayre who originated in South Shields
Mary Norah Graham age 21 years and 10 months, born Northumberland, Newcastle

Boo

This looks like my lady. So given that she didn't marry Mr Chalmers until 1927, back in North Shields, she went adventuring up to Scotland  and that's how they met?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday 22 March 23 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Fife Free Press & Kirkcaldy Guardian 24 May 1930
page 7 col 7
DEATHS
CHALMERS - In loving memory of Mary Norah Graham, dearly beloved wife of James Chalmers, 23 High Street, Burntisland, who died on 9th May, aged 30 years R.I.P.

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 29 April 23 12:21 BST (UK) »
I have seen something strange with the 1901 census copies online where it seems Mary at 1 years old is living with her family in  Duke Street, Jarrow, her father is Patrick, a gas works labourer, born Newcastle, her mother is Catherine, her sister is Catherine, 5 weeks old, they are living with a boarder James Coleman. I now know James is Patrick's brother in law.

there is also a separate 1901 record for Patrick Graham, 26 years old, living with his parents Charles and Mary  in Newcastle, also in Duke Street, Civil Parish of Westgate, his sister is Maggie, his brother is Charles. On this census Patrick is listed as a Navvy, as is his father Charles!
My ancestor was definitely born in Jarrow and her father was definitely Patrick Graham.
It seems like a good idea to clarify whether I am looking at 1 family or 2 families because it would be a bit of a game changer for my path if there are 2.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 29 April 23 12:54 BST (UK) »
That image for the entry in Westgate, shows that Patrick was married.
Its certainly not unheard of that a married person was visiting their parents on the night of the census and, though technically they should not have been, they were enumerated twice, once at their own home and once at their parents.

Boo

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Monday 01 May 23 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that was the assumption I had been working on that Patrick had been enumerated twice, because the details of both generations fit the other info I have on them. I wonder if he was actually visiting his parents on census night or did the enumerator just ask someone who they thought lived with the Graham family in Duke Street in Newcastle?  ???
I have been told by another person looking into the Grahams that these 2  census records mean there were 2 Patrick Grahams, obviously only one is my ancestor Patrick! ???

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 01 May 23 12:13 BST (UK) »
did the enumerator just ask someone who they thought lived with the Graham family in Duke Street in Newcastle?  ???

The enumerator simply copied out what the head of household had written on the census form.

There are quite a lot of threads on Rootschat about people who had been enumerated twice.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Monday 01 May 23 12:34 BST (UK) »
According to the GRO Index, there were 6 births registered in England and Wales as Patrick Graham 1876+/- 2 years - though only 1 registered in Newcastle upon Tyne District

Q1 1874 Gateshead mmn Cranney
Q1 1875 Pontefract mmn Hanbury
Q4 1875 Newcastle Upon Tyne mmn McQuire
Q1 1876 Liverpool mmn Power
Q1 1877 Whitehaven mmn Flin
Q1 1878 Leeds mmn McHale

I can't say for definite that he was enumerated twice but given the other occupants in both households, it does seem to be the most likely possibility.

Did your contact give reasons (references/documents) for saying that two entries mean they are definitely not the same person?

If you have doubts then take those births in the GRO, no matter where geographically they were born and using census returns/ deaths for these children prior to 1901, marriages for possible parents using Graham and the relevant mmn - etc etc, to see which if any you can discount.

As a starter
the child registered in Gateshead in Q1 1874
there is a likely death registration  in Q4 1875 Gateshead for a child of this name who was aged 1 year.
and this wee one was buried at GatesheadEast on 5th Oct 1875, his Dad's name was Alexander
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-L95N-S?

I looked for other births in Gateshead surname Graham, mmn Cranney and using those results and searching the 1881 census this looks highly likely to be the family at 37 Salt Meadows Tce, Gateshead
- bless them they had another go at producing a Patrick c1879 after the first one died.
Piece 5038 Folio 82 Page 22

So if your contact can't come up with something specific to back up what they are saying I'd suggest  that you use similar methods to see if any of the others can be discounted. Its time consuming, a real pain sometimes, but firkling like this is my usual last ditch option to try to get to the bottom of a puzzle.

Boo