Author Topic: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911  (Read 13943 times)

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: looking for what happened to 2 Graham girls last seen in North Shields 1911
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Just coming back to this "marriage"

Nora Maria Graham
Gender   Female
Marriage Date   28 May 1921
Marriage Place   St. Dominic, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Northumberland, England
Father   Patritii Graham
Mother   Catharinæ Coleman
Spouse   Jacobi Trainor

Is this a possible birth & death record for a son

TRAYNOR, JOHN       mmn GRAHAM 
GRO Reference: 1922  S Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 1903

TRAYNOR, JOHN       aged 0 
GRO Reference: 1922  S Quarter in GATESHEAD  Volume 10A  Page 778

John

That is the marriage in question, I have seen it  and that is the one I have searched in vain for a civil registration for. Given the facts of the Chalmers marriage it is boggling my mind. Did you know that on the actual marriage certificate Mr Chalmers spelled his name as "Cowper Chalmers" not Couper Chalmers. If I could obtain a certificate for the Trainor marriage I would definitely get it.
I can also try to get sight of the 'book" where the marriages were recorded by the priest.
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 21 December 22 23:18 GMT (UK) »
⭐️
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline OurAncestors

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 22 December 22 11:03 GMT (UK) »
⭐️

I’ve searched freebmd with all districts  and just the name Graham in case the Trainor marriage happened elsewhere and she was using a different variety of forenames …
but nothing.
Would it be worth getting that bc, because..
Maybe…
She married Mr Trainor, something didn’t work out, losing an infant for example, then she got to marry again in 1927 using her maiden  name?
A bit of a long shot?
Johnson, Coleman, Graham, Dixon, Thewlis

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 22 December 22 11:20 GMT (UK) »
That bc could hold a few answers. If you do order please let us know the outcome details

John

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 22 December 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
This marriage entry to Jacobi Trainor appears to have come from Family Search.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NN2M-6Z5

The Document Information for that record says it was transcribed from microfilm 1936944 and putting that film no in the catalogue search gives this page:
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/784049?availability=Family%20History%20Library

and 'that' says that film 1936944 only contains baptisms.

I suspect that  she was baptised at St Dominic and when she married there was a note attached to her baptism record - this is common in RC registers. It doesn't mean the marriage took place at St Dominic but the priest there was contacted to verify she had been baptised there. I've got one where the note on the baptism register in Liverpool showed the marriage took place in Canada :-) The fact that there is no mention of the groom's parents  lends a bit more weight to my theory.

You need to see the original (held at Tyne and Wear Archives). These notes are often difficult to read so you'd need to be sure that its been transcribed correctly.

Boo

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 22 December 22 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Boo, would you personally order that birth certificate

John

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 22 December 22 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Boo, would you personally order that birth certificate

John

I've now checked there are 3 instances on FS of a 'marriage' at St Dominic
1 1921 to Jacobi Trainor
2 1924  to Joseph C Chalmers
3 1927 to Joseph C Chalmers

All of which seem to have been sourced from the same film that only contains baptisms, so something is wrong somewhere and I'd make seeing the original register my first step to see what the record actually says.

Options for doing that are
1 - If there is an LDS Family History Centre near you that is open, visit them and view the images on their pcs - Free
2 - Visit Tyne and Wear Archives and view the baptism register on microfilm - Free though the OP may have to factor in travel costs
3 - request a copy from Tyne and Wear Archives - cost is £7 and the image will be from microfilm , the quality of which varies.

That's just what I'd do though, I usually start with a selection of 'possibles' to check out, then move along in baby steps to either confirm or discount them.
Means that my progress is sometimes slow (and comes at a cost to get the records) but its my way of working, not saying its the right or wrong way, just what suits me.

Boo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 22 December 22 15:11 GMT (UK) »
do you have any Todd's in your family
A Kate Annie Graham  from Newcastle, arrived in Canada ,29th May 1926,
described as housewife, sister Mrs Margaret Todd Overhill Terrace Gateshead, it looks like she was on her way to America
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Barley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 22 December 22 15:39 GMT (UK) »
About these marriage notations in RC baptism registers:  My grandmother's baptism record in Liverpool has the note of the wrong marriage. Another woman of the same name was baptised in the parish a few years before my grandmother and when she applied for a baptism cert to marry, the priest wrote the marriage details against the wrong Catherine - against my grandmother. Then, a few years later, my grandmother comes along intending to marry, and there must have been something of a kerfuffle. The incorrect marriage details were crossed out and the newer, correct, details entered. But the "wrong" marriage details were not copied back to the correct Catherine.
You really ought to see this original baptism register with the attached marriage details in case something like this has happened. And bear in mind that this was done some time before the actual marriage, and represents an "intention", but the marriage itself may have fallen through.
Lancashire: Ashton, Johnson, Lee, Slater, Smith, Walmsley, Wearden
Hampshire: Aldred, Boxall, Matthews, Nash
Wiltshire: Bruton, Eyres, Hayter, Holly, Quintin
Glamorgan: Claudy, Richards
Wexford/Waterford: Corbey, Donohoe, Flinn