Author Topic: Robertson family of Perthshire  (Read 1854 times)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robertson family of Perthshire
« on: Monday 26 December 22 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas to all.

Hoping someone can help me find further information on my Robertson family of Perthshire.

So far I have:

Parents Donald Robertson (farmer/carpenter) and Annie Robertson:

- Catherine Robertson b abt 1821 Perthshire. Came out to Australia in 1848 on the "Tasman" and married James Anderson 1849 Geelong who also came out on the "Tasman" born in Perth, Perthshire. They had in order of birth Anne, William, Mary, Alexander, Charles and Laurence before Catherine died in 1868 and James remarried.

- Peter Robertson born abt 1825 Perthshire. Came out to Australia and had a property called "Ballangeugh" near Geelong. In 1861 he sold up and moved to the Riverina area but no further information. A Peter Robertson died 1905 at Narrandera (Riverina area), right age, but parents not listed so unable to confirm.

-Margaret Robertson born abt 1828 Perthshire. Came out to Australia in 1858 on the "John and Lucy" with younger sister Susan. Headed for Bendigo. No further information.

-Susan Robertson born abt 1832 Perthshire. Came out to Australia with Margaret. Noted as youngest daughter of Donald Robertson, Perthshire when she married as a spinster in 1863 in her sisters/brother in laws house "Tasman" at Ceres. She was the second wife of John Cottle Ching (born Devon). They had Annie Robertson Ching, Charles Cottle Ching (my gg grandfather), Laura Sophia Ching and Catherine Amelia Ching. The three sisters never married, and lived in a property called Braeholm in Geelong. No idea if the property was named by them or not, so not sure if it is significant, but trying to include every bit of info I do have.

Approx birth years taken from shipping records.

If anyone can help me find the family in the 1841/1851 Census or any other info, I would be most grateful :)

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robertson family of Perthshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a red herring but when I read Ballengeugh It immediately suggested to me that It was a corruption or alternative spelling of Ballengeich. This is on the north side of Stirling Castle close to what was the boundary with Perthshire.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Maybe a red herring but when I read Ballengeugh It immediately suggested to me that It was a corruption or alternative spelling of Ballengeich. This is on the north side of Stirling Castle close to what was the boundary with Perthshire.

At this stage I'll look into everything - it's been a brick wall for almost 30 years lol. That's why I put everything I know in my post :)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Atworthy
Do you have occupations (on passenger lists) for any of those who emigrated to Australia?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 01:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Atworthy
Do you have occupations (on passenger lists) for any of those who emigrated to Australia?

Hi Neale.

Margaret is a GS (general servant?), Susan a housemaid, Catherine a house servant, and James Anderson a farm labourer.

Just found the Anderson's in the 1841 and 1851 Census. They were living in Kinnoul, Perthshire. Hoping that helps me find my Robertson's if James and Catherine knew each other before leaving for Australia.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 01:16 GMT (UK) »
Here is a previous thread from 2019 in which a good deal research was done re  Susan ROBERTSON.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810374.0

Just to save repeat effort ;D

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Here is a previous thread from 2019 in which a good deal research was done re  Susan ROBERTSON.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=810374.0

Just to save repeat effort ;D

Sue

Thanks Sue. I tried to do a search on posts earlier, but searches weren't available due to a busy server.

I'm still trying to confirm the Robinson's on the Tasman are actually my Robertson's. Have not been able to find anything new to date.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 04:43 GMT (UK) »

"I'm still trying to confirm the Robinson's on the Tasman are actually my Robertson's."

I take you mean ROBERTSON or is there a ROBINSON family in your research.

If you know the marriage, Geelong, 1849, is definitely your family...start with that record.

Can you list all the information on the document.....everything please...and can you note who signs and who is not able to write.

VIC BDM marriage
2323/1850 ANDERSON James   marr.  ROBERTSON, Catherine

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 December 22 06:05 GMT (UK) »
The Robertson/Anderson marriage was recorded as 1850, (as given by wivenhoe0, not 1849 as listed in original post.

Tasman Cottage was more precisely at Barrabool (or Barrabool Hills) than Ceres in 1863. These small things  can make a difference in your searches.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk