Author Topic: Charles Edward MEYERS - death record  (Read 771 times)

Offline Firstcousin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Edward MEYERS - death record
« on: Tuesday 07 February 23 23:49 GMT (UK) »
My great uncle, Charles Edward MEYERS, was born in Sligo, Ireland, in 1885 and migrated to Canada about 1909. In 1910 he married Gertrude Agnes WALKER in Moncton, New Brunswick, and about that time became a Catholic. By 1921 Census they had moved to Montreal. Family stories have it that he worked as an engineer on the railways. The next record I have is electoral rolls for 1963 and 1965, where he is living in Dollard, Montreal, with his wife shown as Anne, an accountant. Family letters show he died before his brother sometime between 1965 and 1968, and I can find no record of that nor of the death of his first wife and remarriage (unless she changed her name, of course). To the best of my knowledge Charles had no children.
I have looked in Ancestry, Family Search and FindmyPast, and the Canadian sources on Cyndi's List. Any help in finding further online records would be much appreciated.

Offline MartinGoyette23

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Edward MEYERS - death record
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 February 23 04:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Firstcousin,

Sadly there isn't much that we can do to help since the records are not public until 100 years after they happened. The only exception is the church records on Ancestry that go up to 1938 to 1942 depending on the church.

You might want to contact the Directeur de l'état civil at this address: https://www.etatcivil.gouv.qc.ca/en/default.html. They might be able to help you, but it isn't free and they might refuse to give it to you if they consider that the request is not legitimate.

I doubt that the Charles Meyers you found in the electoral rolls is the same person because he would be 78 years old and still working which is really unlikely for the time. If he were a retired engineer, it would simply be written "retired" or something similar.

The voters lists start in 1935. You would have better luck finding him in the 1935 list. Ancestry's search engine is not that great, so you would have to look at every page and it is a pretty tedious job especially if you don't know the address where they lived (I did it for some of my ancestors and there are some years that I can't find them). Here is all the information on them (the list of electoral ridings is particularly helpful): https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/census/Pages/voters-lists.aspx.

The 1931 Canadian census should be available at the end of the year or at the beginning of next year because they are only made public after 92 years.

You can also try obituaries and newspapers, but I don't know any good websites and/or databases, so I can't really help you with this.

Best regards,

Martin

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 February 23 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Firstcousin!  :)

There is another candidate with the same name.

I noticed a border crossing (at Tacoma, so the very west side of Canada), for a Charles Meyers (married man), and looking deeper found that this man applied for citizenship to the USA.
His details are

Charles Edward Meyers
Born Bally Mote, Sligo, Ireland
DOB:  12 Jun 1886  (Irish records indicate it should be 1885, father James, Mother Frances Forsythe)
Arrived from Canada via CPR from Moncton (New Brunswick)
Arrived USA on or about 14 June 1910 

I suppose it could be the same man:  a quick marriage, head out west for a job, then reappear back in Montreal 11 years later in the 1921 census?

Were those family letters definitely from Montreal?  Is it a known fact he married a Gertrude?

Will poke around the American records a bit more, in case he is a good fit!

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 February 23 08:10 GMT (UK) »
In the following articles, Meyers is spelled Myers. (It's not my typo!)

The Gazette (Montreal) · Friday, November 23, 1923

The engagement is announced of Miss Madeleine Milcah Walker, daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. James J. Walker, of Moncton N.B., to Mr. Leo Patrick Bradley, of Montreal, son of Mrs. Margaret Bradley of New York, formerly of St. John, N.B.  The marriage will take place in Montreal on December 27.  Miss Walker is spending the winter in town with her sister, Mrs. Charles Edward Myers, Mackay street.

The article describing their marriage, in the Gazette dated  December 27, 1923, it mentions Madeleine's  brother-in-law; and his name is written as C.E.P. Myers.  Gertrude is referred to as Mrs. C.E.P. Myers.
I can find one mention of a Charles E. Patrick Myers in the papers, but nothing solid on the genealogy sites...

P.S.  I realize you are only after Charles' death, but we need to dig around for anyone that may have an obituary/news event,  with him mentioned in it, to really narrow down the where and when for him.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 February 23 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Firstcousin, welcome to RootsChat from me, too.

Filling in details to help us,

New Brunswick Marriages
Charles Edward Meyers of Moncton and [space left blank] Walker of Moncton were married by Banns at the RC Church of St. Bernard(?) Moncton. 2 June 1910.
By me   Edward Savage

Signed by
Charles Edward Meyers
Gertrude Agnes Walker
In the presence of
John ? Walker. [looks like MeS.]
Madeleine Walker

Details from Anc*try.

I’m certainly not a handwriting expert, but if I had to choose, I would suggest that Gertrude was left handed.  It’s not a relevant fact, but being a lefty myself, I thought I would mention it.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 February 23 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Searching for Gertrude, I found another form, on Anc*try

New Brunswick Marriages
Charles Edward Meyers, age 23, born Dublin, Ireland. Batchelor.  Clerk.
Gertrude Agnes Walker, age 22, born Moncton. Spinster.

Both lived in Moncton.  Both were RC.

John’s middle name now looks like McS

Charles was born in Dublin?  ???
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 February 23 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Montreal City Directories are online and searchable at stevemorse.org

1940 shows a C.E.P. Myers, gen. agt., Am Credit Indemnity, 2076 Sherbrooke W., Apt. 7

Same info for 1950.  The intervening years are available as well. 

1960: C.E. Pat Myers, same employer, apt. 6, 2076 Sherbrook W.

If this is not your guy, you can browse through the directories using the various spellings.

1949 Voters' List shows Charles P. Meyers , insurance, living at the Sherbrook Street address (apt. 7) as well as Gertrude Meyers. There is also a L.P.  Bradley, housewife, living at the same address.

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 February 23 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Montreal Gazette, 23 July 1924:

Mr. & Mrs. C.E.P. Myers, St. Mark Street, and Mrs. Myers' sister, Mrs. Leo P. Bradley, University Street, have been spending several weeks in Moncton, the guests of the Misses McSweeney.

Montreal Gazette, 25 December 1923:

Rev. Father Francis Walker, of St. John, NB, who is to officiate at the marriage of his sister, Miss Madeleine Walker, to Mr. Leo P. Bradley on Thursday is arriving in town tomorow and will be a guest at the Archbishop's Palace for a short time and will later visit his sister, Mrs. C.E.P. Myers, Mackay Street.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 February 23 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Interesting about the "Patrick" name addition, and the vast differences in occupation.

The signatures are a match though.  ???