Author Topic: Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 October 23 03:07 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Bothwell, there seems to be only 1 possible Patrick Docherty of the right age.
But I don’t feel confident he is the right one.

The marriage record will give his parents names and his age, etc, so you know who he is.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 October 23 04:19 BST (UK) »
ROONEY, BARNETT
Mother's maiden surname: CONROY     
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 362

ROONEY, ANN
GRO Reference: 1893  D Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 388

RONEY, EDWARD
GRO Reference: 1898  M Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 386
(Died Dec qtr 1898)

RONEY, JOSEPH  CONROY
GRO Reference: 1900  M Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 436

Debra  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 October 23 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Mulberry Rose and welcome to RootsChat,
I think we will be 'cousins' of a degree as I think we have the same bloodline ancestors going way back - James Conroy & Mary Malloy.
I don't know if you might have already come across this but there is an Ellen Rooney of Morpeth mentioned a good few times on lists of outdoor relief in the Tynemouth Workhouse Minutes volumes.  These volumes which are printed out are held at North Shields local studies.

Incidentally, I have a question for you as I think a lot of the Northumberland Conroys were connected.  Ellen's brother Edward Conroy who was killed in WW1 had a daughter Margaret Theresa born 16 January 1900 bapt at St Robert Morpeth 28 March.  Her sponsors were James Conroy and Bridget Gilboy.  I suspect the latter Bridget was nee Conroy - daughter of Peter Conroy and Ann formerly Mackbride nee Miller.  Peter's father was recorded as John Conroy - distiller. I do think that this Peter will tie into the Northumberland Conroy families but I haven't been able to pick up on a connection as yet.  Just on the off chance I wonder if you might know?

You likely know that the above mentioned Edward also had a daughter Ellen/Helena born 3 January 1908 bapt St Robert, Morpeth on 11 January 1908 - sponsor/Godparent 'Helena Rooney'.  Thought I would just mention it in case you might not have this info already.
Best Wishes  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 October 23 13:27 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Bothwell, there seems to be only 1 possible Patrick Docherty of the right age.
But I don’t feel confident he is the right one.

The marriage record will give his parents names and his age, etc, so you know who he is.

There seems to be a lot of Patrick Dochertys! I didn’t even have his first name at the beginning of the year so getting this far is an achievement  :). Hopefully by getting the record it will fill in a lot of details.
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Campbell, Myers, Henderson, Ford, Lewis (Durham)
Rooney, Green (Lanarkshire)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 October 23 13:27 BST (UK) »
ROONEY, BARNETT
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 362

ROONEY, ANN
GRO Reference: 1893  D Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 388

RONEY, EDWARD
GRO Reference: 1898  M Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 386
(Died Dec qtr 1898)

RONEY, JOSEPH  CONROY
GRO Reference: 1900  M Quarter in MORPETH  Volume 10B  Page 436

Debra  :)

Thank you very much for finding the registrations for the siblings.  :)
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 October 23 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Mulberry Rose and welcome to RootsChat,
I think we will be 'cousins' of a degree as I think we have the same bloodline ancestors going way back - James Conroy & Mary Malloy.
I don't know if you might have already come across this but there is an Ellen Rooney of Morpeth mentioned a good few times on lists of outdoor relief in the Tynemouth Workhouse Minutes volumes.  These volumes which are printed out are held at North Shields local studies.

Incidentally, I have a question for you as I think a lot of the Northumberland Conroys were connected.  Ellen's brother Edward Conroy who was killed in WW1 had a daughter Margaret Theresa born 16 January 1900 bapt at St Robert Morpeth 28 March.  Her sponsors were James Conroy and Bridget Gilboy.  I suspect the latter Bridget was nee Conroy - daughter of Peter Conroy and Ann formerly Mackbride nee Miller.  Peter's father was recorded as John Conroy - distiller. I do think that this Peter will tie into the Northumberland Conroy families but I haven't been able to pick up on a connection as yet.  Just on the off chance I wonder if you might know?

You likely know that the above mentioned Edward also had a daughter Ellen/Helena born 3 January 1908 bapt St Robert, Morpeth on 11 January 1908 - sponsor/Godparent 'Helena Rooney'.  Thought I would just mention it in case you might not have this info already.
Best Wishes  :)

Hello, thank you for the welcome.  :)

I agree, Ellen Conroy was the daughter of a Joseph Conroy and Mary Ann Allen. I didn’t know about the workhouse records, that’s very sad. I’ll have to pop up and have a look at them.

Patrick Green used to provide payments for my ggmother to be cared for, but he was unaware that Ellen hadn't taken her in. Ellen took the payments for herself but now that makes me think it was out of desperation.

I briefly remember seeing a baptism record with Ellen as a sponsor.

Unfortunately I don’t know if there was a connection between a Peter Conroy and the Morpeth Conroys. They’re all very confusing.  :P
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 21 October 23 10:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you to those who pointed me in the direction of ScotlandsPeople, I didn’t even think of looking in that direction.  ;D

Unfortunately I did not get a hold of Maggie’s birth but I did get her marriage and some information about Patrick Green.

14th July 1905 at the RC Church Uddington, marriage of Maggie Rooney (18) and Patrick Docherty (28). Both of Newlands Row. Maggie dau of John and Ellen nee Conroy. Patrick son of James and Catherine nee Curran. Witnesses were William Keegan and Catherine Docherty.

Patrick Green born 15 Apr 1876 at 2.45AM at Pound Street, Baillieston. Parents Francis Green (miner) and Annie Dullen. Father Francis absent for birth.

I also managed to confirm my theory of Patrick’s father Francis having been killed in a mining accident.

Francis Green, miner, married to Ann Dillen. Dec 26 1905 at 2.15pm, Calderbank Colliery, aged 55. Parents Patrick and Catherine. Informant Patrick Green, son, of 15 Reids Row Baillieston.  “While the deceased was walking into the cage at the pit a piece of coal accidentally fell down the shaft of the mine and struck him on the head.”
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mulberry Rose,
If you do go to the North Shields local studies one day look in the 1912/13 Workhouse Minutes volume and flicking through you will see Ellen Rooney of Morpeth listed in the outdoor relief columns. 

Also just to let you know I believe your direct ancestors (my indirect) Joseph & Mary Conroy nee Allen/Allan were living in Dipton area at some point in between the 1871/1881 census.
There was a newspaper article about my Great Grandfather Simon Conroy in the Consett Guardian, Saturday 16 June 1877.  This can be seen on British Newspapers Archives.  Someone had attacked him and broken his skull.  In the court case it mentions he had gone to his Uncle's house and a Mary Conroy, wife of 'Jos. Conroy' is a witness giving evidence. Thought it might be useful to know for tracking your ancestors 'paths'.

By the way, I have dna matches with some of Joseph & Mary's descendants although most are from my direct line James/Mary then James Conroy & Elizabeth Fitzpatrick.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 December 23 17:56 GMT (UK) »
River Tyne Lass

Thank you for the details about the volumes, I don’t know when I’ll visit but hopefully soon  :)

Wow, broke his skull!  :o I wasn’t aware they lived in Durham, I’ve only been searching for articles in Northumberland, so now there’s plenty of new paths to be tracing.

There was a Morpeth Gazette article on the 16 Jan 1886, regarding an inquiry into the death of five week old Mary Conroy, daughter of Mary and Joseph. The verdict was that she died of natural causes. Their residence was listed as Bullers Green.
Carter (Yorkshire)