Author Topic: Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup  (Read 1509 times)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup
« on: Wednesday 18 October 23 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hello I am new to these forums so sorry if my post is worded a little awkwardly.

I’ve been struggling to locate the birth record or a baptism record of my relative.

Her name is Margaret Rooney and she was born to John Rooney and Ellen Conroy from Jan-Jun 1888. The census says her location of birth was Widdrington, Northumberland.

She does not have any middle names. Rooney is sometimes spelt as Roney. I’ve tried every wildcard on FreeBMD, but no avail. The only hint of a birth I can find is an article from the Morpeth Herald dated 11th May 1888, “Widdrington Middle Stead, 9th inst. the wife of Mr. John Rooney, of a daughter.” However since this doesn’t say her name I cannot completely be sure it’s her.

The parishes her siblings were baptised in are St Bedes Bedlington, St Cuthberts Amble (the siblings born before and after her were baptised here) and St Roberts Morpeth.

I thought there was a possibility she might’ve been born in Lanarkshire as in the 1891 census she’s living in Scotland with her family which would explain the lack of any records. One of her younger siblings was born in Lanarkshire which would suggest they might’ve moved there and back to England a few times (but even then his baptism was in England). Not certain though.

Many thanks.  :)
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Campbell, Myers, Henderson, Ford, Lewis (Durham)
Rooney, Green (Lanarkshire)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Rooney 1888 - Birth/Baptism Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 22:47 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If I have the right person,  on her death records Margaret’s date of birth is given as
20 Sep. 1889
1889 birth also agrees with age on 1901 and 1911 census
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:04 BST (UK) »
I see the family is living in Old Monkland Western District in the 1891 census
There is a birth registration in the same district for a Margaret Rooney in 1890
REFERENCE 652 / 1 / 60
Unfortunately the index does not give mother’s name

Added
If Margaret was born late in 1889, and the family were travelling to Scotland shortly after, it would explain a birth registration in 1890.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:08 BST (UK) »
1891 has a 6yr old son Bernard (Barnard) shown as b England but there is no birth with a mmn of Conroy

There is an 1881 marriage for John Rooney & Helen Conroy 1881 Old Monkland

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:15 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

If I have the right person,  on her death records Margaret’s date of birth is given as
20 Sep. 1889
1889 birth also agrees with age on 1901 and 1911 census

Hello, thank you for the lookup and the welcome.  :)

Unfortunately this is not her. It gets very confusing (and frustrating) on ancestry as many people have made errors regarding her death and birth.

Margaret briefly went by the surname Docherty, and here she has been mistaken by many for another women by the name of Margaret Docherty who was actually born to parents Thomas and Jane in Lancashire.

Instead, Margaret reverted to her maiden name of Rooney (I suspect her two children in 1911 census were illegitimate and she never married anyone named Docherty, only the fathers surname was Docherty).
and married a man named Patrick Green in Jul-Aug-Sep of 1911. His military records show her children in the 1911 census (Ellen and James) as his stepchildren. His records later show his as widowed with three children.

I am certain this cannot be her as she died in childbirth under the surname of Green with my great grandmother in 1914 who was given up for adoption (if she was alive ggrandmother wouldn’t have been given up.)
Bell, Keogh, McIntyre, Muldoon, Rooney, Conroy, Storey, Burrell, Gibson (Northumberland)
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:26 BST (UK) »
1891 has a 6yr old son Bernard (Barnard) shown as b England but there is no birth with a mmn of Conroy

There is an 1881 marriage for John Rooney & Helen Conroy 1881 Old Monkland

Thank you for searching, I did not know that John and Ellen were married in Scotland. Interesting.

She is a mystery. All her siblings have records except for her.
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:27 BST (UK) »
Patrick Green & Margaret Rooney married 1911 - Morpeth

Margaret Green aged 26 died March qtr 1914 Morpeth

Phyllis A Green mmn Rooney birth was registered June qtr 1914
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:31 BST (UK) »
Patrick Green & Margaret Rooney married 1911 - Morpeth

Margaret Green aged 26 died March qtr 1914 Morpeth

Phyllis A Green mmn Rooney birth was registered June qtr 1914

:) Yes this is her.
Carter (Yorkshire)

Offline mulberry-rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 October 23 23:42 BST (UK) »
I see the family is living in Old Monkland Western District in the 1891 census
There is a birth registration in the same district for a Margaret Rooney in 1890
REFERENCE 652 / 1 / 60
Unfortunately the index does not give mother’s name

This is a possible lead, I hope. Shame it doesn’t show the maiden name. I wonder if it got registered late because they moved after her birth (if her).
Carter (Yorkshire)