Author Topic: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s  (Read 1203 times)

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Judah Cohen from AMSTERDAM in mid 1700s/early 1800s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 17:20 GMT (UK) »
There is quite a big gap between the births of these 2 sons, in 1719 and 1724 - perhaps Jacob was born then:

4) Salomon Levie Cohen, birth 1719 Amsterdam
Married 1745 Amsterdam, dtb 727/465; witn.groom: brother Joel Levie Cohen; witn.bride: cousin Spranke Engeland. to:
Branca Brendele Levie, birth 1720 Maastricht, died 16 Feb 1804 Amsterdam, Muiderberg cemetery: widow of Zalman ben Leib Cohen-Kroit.

5) Vrouwtje Levie Cohen, birth 1724 Amsterdam
Married 1743 Amsterdam, dtb 726/401; witn.groom: f.Zacharias Mozes; witn.bride: guardian MozesGompert. to:
Salomon Zacharias, birth 1720 London

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm ...The 1760 Amsterdam will of Mordechai's grandfather Mozes Gompert (de Jong) mentions all those kids and also that Mordechai and his sister Vrouwtje are both deceased. Mordechai has left minor 1 (!) child and Vrouwtje has left various children

It is clear that something fishy is going on here. Before we were dealing with 2 Judah's, but I think that we might also be dealing with 2 separate Mordechai's

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Great hunting TreeSpirit :) But oh no.. more confusion!!

Also the dates are interesting - their mother Sara Tserle Ephraim Moshe-Gumprich, was born in 1696 in Amsterdam and died in 1734 in Amsterdam.

But husband Levie Judaleib Mordechai Cohen, their father, didn't die until 1739, so maybe he had Jacob with another wife, say in late 1730s, and even maybe also the other 'original' Mordechai. It would make sense then that they were the 2 brothers that went to London as they weren't the full siblings of the rest. However, I had Jacob and Mordechai as born in the 1940s (not proved though).

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I'm still struggling thru this 1742 document but apparently Jacob = Koppel ... i.e. the youngest child

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 18:08 GMT (UK) »
But there is still the issue that this Mordechai dies and leaves one minor child, while we know that the other Mordechai had (at least?)3 sons, so they can't be the same person

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I'm still struggling thru this 1742 document but apparently Jacob = Koppel ... i.e. the youngest child

genius

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 14 November 23 18:55 GMT (UK) »

But "Koppel" is not "Issachar".
The more I'm trying to decipher these old documents the more confused I get. And then there is all the stuff for other people with the same names as well
Currently I'm still very undecided abt everyone's ancestry ...

:-\ :-\ :-\

Offline colee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 November 23 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's very true indeed :( it's all too easy to get carried away and want to fit the info to an emerging narrative. Thank you SO much for your help so far. I'm afraid I haven't been able to crack the Dutch documents yet.. but maybe other records from the wider family will bring more certainty to the inner muddy bit :)

Having said that, on another issue of doubles...

So it turns out that (thank you again for the clipping ciderdrinker) JC Lyons who married Miss Cohen (Judah's daughter) in 1832 was a Joseph Lyons, his wife was Esther Cohen born in 1813 according to census info. Joseph was born in Portsmouth and they had children in Manchester, Liverpool, Hull.

7 children: Theresa 1834, Julius 1838, Elizabeth 1841, Fanny 1842, Laura 1844, Victoria 1846 and Rebecca 1849.

But I suppose there's a problem then in that Esther Cohen born in 1813 would be (if correct) the daughter of 'my' Judah Cohen and Esther which would be unusual as in Jewish tradition a child wouldn't normally be named after a living relative. Esther Lyons was back in London by the 1881 census as a widow, with 2 of her daughters Theresa and Victoria and a grandson.

Offline SteveJaron

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 November 23 03:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is this the Judah Cohen you are looking at? https://www.geni.com/people/Judah-Cohen/6000000032523141928

I am Judah's second cousin 8 times removed. 

I came across this post when I was searching for something related as I am a distant cousin of this particular Judah Cohen. I have not read the whole thread yet but I am wondering if you are also a relative or just a researcher?  On Geni I have come across to other related researchers to Judah and his descendants. I am happy to discuss further as I have been working on his ancestors and their descendants for quite a while now.

-Steve