Author Topic: Gloucester asylum lookup please 1922  (Read 246 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gloucester asylum lookup please 1922
« on: Sunday 24 December 23 17:06 GMT (UK) »
I'd be very grateful if someone visiting the archives (closed of course at the moment for the break, so no rush) could look up some details for me please of Harold Vernon SMITH in Gloucester asylum.

dob 16 Feb 1898
admitted 23 Jan 1922
death 9 Nov 1922 Death Cert states death at County mental hospital, Wotton Hill, Gloucester, age 24, of The Vicarage, Leighterton, Tetbury, RD. Bank clerk. Died of Diptheria 5 days. No post mortem.

The address tallies with the June 1921 census where he was shown as visitor in that household, unemployed bank clerk.  I have his employment history and he was a bank clerk for Wilts and Dorset Bank, then Lloyds when they took it over, and then abroad at the Bank of British West Africa. He returned to England in May 1921 having left this job, with a Bournemouth address as his destination.

The information I'd like is any family member(s) and address(es) and any other details as I can't find his widowed mother Kate Smith after 1911 in Knole Rd, Bournemouth. Not the easiest surname to research and she could have remarried.  The admission register might show his connection with the vicarage household too because there's no obvious family connection but I need to explore that more thoroughly.  Possibly a Freemasonry connection as H V Smith went to one of their schools?

So any info really from the admissions register if that's possible?  His admission ref no might be useful too, for identifying other records in the system.

Also if they have burial records, that would be of interest.  Would their inmates be buried on site or at at a particular cemetery? It's possible a family member took him to another area though. He had relatives in Bristol (the Butler family), in Nottingham (his birthplace) and wherever his mother was, if still alive.

Thanks in advance.

And Merry Christmas rootschatters!  :)
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Gloucester asylum lookup please 1922
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 December 23 17:26 GMT (UK) »
You may want to take another look at the various dates you have given  :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 December 23 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear!  Tx. Now done.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 16:04 GMT (UK) »
visitor in that household,

Who was head of the household?

Do you have Kate's date of birth?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi

In 1921 Harold Smith was a visitor in the James household.  The rector was a retired major and pops up in various places over the years.  He was also in the Freemason register in India.  Montague Gifford James [edit]. 

I don't have Kate Smith's dob, only year.  1872 in Calne, Wilts.  I did trawl for her in the 1921 census when it first became available with no luck but perhaps any dodgy transcriptions have been corrected by now so I need to check again.  Calne is useful as it does narrow down the search but of course she could have died before this census.  Or remarried.  When the 1921 census came out I was looking for a lot of others as a priority in the limited time I had.  Now the census is available at all public libraries (I hope!) I'll just focus on her and look for any Kate from Calne of the right age.

Her late husband was one of the industrialist/inventor Smith family in Nottingham, and her sister-in-law Rosa was married to Thomas Butler, an industrialist in Bristol. Both wealthy families.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 09:14 GMT (UK) »
I’m compiling the available docs at the archive but looks like the admissions register is closed for a long while yet.  :(

I’ll ask the archivist what’s possible but it looks like case notes only, which’ll probably have his admission no. on but nothing about family.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 23 14:18 GMT (UK) »
The 1921 census doesn't have many Kates born in 1872, and most were complete households with children, and nothing to suggest from an earlier marriage.

So perhaps she'd already died by then?

The only Kate Smith born Calne was in a mental hospital in Salisbury, and recorded as married.  Wonder if widows were recorded as such?  If not, then that could be her, but I have yet to check any other Mrs Kate Smiths who were born in Calne.  If none, then more county archives to search!

Crook, Bannister, Warren