Author Topic: Researching a beautiful london Actress... and failing  (Read 8331 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: Researching a beautiful london Actress... and failing
« Reply #45 on: Monday 15 January 24 14:40 GMT (UK) »
If we think Annie James was Annie Josephs then something happened quickly in 1893.
Newspaper report says in January she was living at Aldgate High Street and she was admitted to Whitechapel Workhouse on 16th January.
Yet Annie James is on the electoral role from 1893 to 1897 at 11 Bloomsbury Square.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 15 January 24 18:26 GMT (UK) »
If we think Annie James was Annie Josephs then something happened quickly in 1893.
Newspaper report says in January she was living at Aldgate High Street and she was admitted to Whitechapel Workhouse on 16th January.
Yet Annie James is on the electoral role from 1893 to 1897 at 11 Bloomsbury Square.

Is she? I can only see Annie Joseph at that address

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 15 January 24 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Have been looking at a family for ages tonight feeling sure I am wrong but here we go..

I looked for a Julia and Annie and came up with the Joseph(s)family 1891

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:3T7V-66Z

Looking at the children on this census, Julia and Louis birth as Cannonbury, Elizabeth Aldgate, I think MMN is Levy which could be the marriage of JJ to Hannah Levy Q1 1886 London City

Joseph occ butcher

JJ is still in Middlesex St. to 1892 (electoral reg.) and then JJ and Louis can be found in Liverpool 1901, occ butcher, married

RG13/3417/59/55

1911 JJ is an antiques dealer still with Louis and JJ still married

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWRT-YKX

Meanwhile in the electoral reg. an Annie Joseph(s) appears at 11 Bloomsbury Square from 1893 to 1897, can't find Annie Joseph(s) 1901 and wondered if she became Annie James.

Have absolutely no idea about Maurice but finding an Elizabeth in the household 1891 got me searching!

Just noting also that it looks like JJ died back in Middlesex 1924 from the probate calendar ???

Yes I took it from this post and although she is still using the name Joseph surely in 1893 she would have had to be the owner of Bloomsbury Sq. to be able to vote and from being admitted to the workhouse to owning a property in a few months ( correct me if I am wrong )
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 15 January 24 18:48 GMT (UK) »
It was just that you said she was Annie James at 11 Bloomsbury Square, so I was hoping you had found a double entry of some sort.

But yes. I agree. Someone would have had to swoop in with a lot of money. 

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 15 January 24 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I can't find her death in Paris proper. Her son died in 1968 in Suresnes but his death was transcribed into 16e records.  Possibly she, like him, died in one of the surrounding suburbs of greater Paris.

(source: https://archives.paris.fr/)

It looks like her son Paul (1929-2019) was Ben Paul Mathieu Dollfus (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:CLY5-VFN2 ), born Neuilly-sur-Seine, although he went by Paul Dollfus.

Yes , the couple had 2 boys ( Patrick and Paul );
Here you have an article about the Dollfus family , a wealthy protestant alsacian family, I made a snippet about Maurice and his son Paul:
https://www.sim.asso.fr/famille-dollfus/

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 15 January 24 19:06 GMT (UK) »
and here you have Maurice's birth

https://archives.paris.fr/arkotheque/visionneuse/visionneuse.php?arko=YTo2OntzOjQ6ImRhdGUiO3M6MTA6IjIwMjQtMDEtMTUiO3M6MTA6InR5cGVfZm9uZHMiO3M6MTE6ImFya29fc2VyaWVsIjtzOjQ6InJlZjEiO2k6NDtzOjQ6InJlZjIiO2k6MjM4NDIyO3M6MTY6InZpc2lvbm5ldXNlX2h0bWwiO2I6MTtzOjIxOiJ2aXNpb25uZXVzZV9odG1sX21vZGUiO3M6NDoicHJvZCI7fQ==#uielem_move=207%2C-121&uielem_islocked=0&uielem_zoom=90&uielem_brightness=0&uielem_contrast=0&uielem_isinverted=0&uielem_rotate=F :

page 13 , under the name Bloc

his mother was Lucie Bloc (or Bloch), she was an " artiste lyrique" ,Paul Dollfus attended the birth (or probably was in the next room).
Paul and Lucie married later ( 20 july 1900 11ème arrondissement of Paris , both recognized the child.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 15 January 24 19:26 GMT (UK) »
Here is Paul's obituary , the ceremony took place in St Jean, protestant temple of Mulhouse, and an article about him:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41393-019-0339-4

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 15 January 24 19:31 GMT (UK) »
And here is  his death on matchid with all his names

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 15 January 24 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Before coming back in Mulhouse he was a doctor in the UK ( Stoke Mandeville).