Author Topic: Diary weekend ending 11th February  (Read 2878 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary weekend ending 11th February
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Roobarb for your kind words.  I will just keep hanging on.  Holiday will be in a few weeks. Yippee! :)
I do like Earl Grey, Viktoria! :)

Thought I would just add some more recent happenings ..
Late Sunday night on return home after 12 hour shift, I began the short walk home after getting off second bus.  I was carrying two bags.  I sensed someone too close behind me so I turned and saw a man very close, too close.  We looked at each other and then he stretched out his hands saying, "Can I help you with your bags?"
I thought 'not likely!' It all seemed a bit strange; I am not a spring chicken but I wouldn't say I look at all frail.
I politely declined his help then decided to do a bit of acting .. pretended my phone had gone.  I pulled it out my pocket and said "Hello .. you're waiting on the corner?  Yes, I'm almost there. I'll be with you in less than a minute .. ". Thankfully, I saw the man turn and walk rapidly off.  He might have had good intentions but I wasn't taking chances.
Also, highlight of last week was someone offered to take me to some cottages way out in the countryside in Northumberland where some of my ancestors lived in the mid 1800s.  It was blowing a gale when we went.
I never thought I would ever get to go as it is not on a bus route.  We went down umpteen narrow hedgerow lanes, it seemed.  I said to person that I was amazed that once my ancestors got there that they ever managed to find their way out again to go anywhere else!
We didn't have time to stay long but it did feel thrilling to have visited their long ago abode and have walked a bit in their shoes, so to speak.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 11:19 GMT (UK) »
That was sensible RTL.
I have been known to throw myself at the door barking and growling when the bell rang late at night .
This house has only a small vestibule ,my previous one had vestibule  and a big hall so I felt safer.
One night the bell here rang ,I did not open the door but shouted - who is it.?- “ I need to speak to Jason” was the reply ,I said “well no Jason here but just let me ask my family ,sorry I can’t open
the  door we are decorating and furniture all crammed up .”
Shouted “ do either  of you know a Jason ?”
Then said “ sorry we don’t know anyone of that name”.
I closed the vestibule door and he went away .
I don’t know how the lies tripped off my tongue!

I had to get a spy hole in the door at the other house.An ex pupil with mental health problems would call ,I knew the family well, but he started to bring friends so I got the spy hole and did not open the door when he was accompanied .

I don’t really go,out at night now ,poor night vision and Ramsbottom is over stocked with bars and cafes ,customers spill out on to the pavements and they often are narrow in places so you step in to the road to get past!
Not safe!
Viktoria.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear RTL that wasn’t a very good experience but how quick thinking of you to get your phone out… glad he disappeared.. do you carry any kind of spray to use in case of incidents?

Also sorry to hear you’ve not had much success with your docs either… hopefully time will go quickly and you can have your week off. Hope your family member improves with treatment and you worry less.

Viktoria you never cease to amaze me with your actions!
im thankful we live in a small village and seldom get unwanted visitors… they’d be far too conspicuous here! The worst we get are the Jehovah’s people but they park their cars and wander around the village and stick out like sore thumbs, it’s quite surprising they return as no one answers the door! Less so these days especially after covid but we do get letters hand written and posted to every house from them… must cost them a fortune in postage. Obviously we are all worth it and need saving!

Another blustery day here but not cold, just like some sunshine for more than half an hour! Looks like we’re in for some rain and possible snow on Thursday so won’t be going anywhere… think I might start making Christmas cards 😂😂.

Hope all will be well by Sunday as it’s youngest grandsons birthday - can’t believe he’ll be 8 where has all that time gone… we’re down to Ealing and out for Sunday lunch with them and the other grandparents.

The garden has had a good tidy up cutting back and pruning so hope I haven’t killed anything off! All the beautiful aconites have almost made the full circle round the sycamore tree in the front garden. The snow drops are looking pretty along with the hellebores… I always think it’s a shame they hang their heads when their insides are some pretty…

Well must get on as Viktoria says the vacuuming won’t do itself…. Coffee break over!

Take care all

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Eeh! Viktoria, that really made me laugh! ;D
I think at times it can be necessary to think on your feet to keep safe and do a little pretending as you cleverly have done at the door in the past.

I have tried out a little barking this morning for potential future occasions you understand, but I fear I do a very poor dog impression. 
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iuy-oOJCOoM
I think I might just have play this whilst hurling myself repeatedly against the door shouting "Down boy down!" perhaps adding "I'll never buy a dangerous dog breed ever again!";)  Dog numbers 5 & 6 are good.

Thanks for your kind words Caroline.  I don't carry a spray but thankfully such experiences will hopefully be rare. 
Snowdrops are out here too.  I can't wait for the sight of bluebells to follow. :D
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
A more sober post now,just realised it is the anniversary of The Munich air crash .
6/2/1958.
Just shopped for a few things and got  a Manchester Evening News ,it has some hard brain teasers.

The accident not mentioned  but the family of Eddie Coleman have placed two” In Memoria “ in the page for those.
I remember it so well, I was just getting a bit of shopping  and  a neighbour
told me .
I hurried home and put the radio on.
We must have had a TV because there was much time devoted to the tragedy in the news that evening .Don’t think there was daytime T,V then.
My father in law had bought us a second hand 9” screen,only black and white at that time.
We had a new baby so we would not be going out ,it was wonderful ,we had nothing with which to compare it so we’re very happy with it.

It was a real tragedy ,M/c United were really on the up .

What a dull day, weather wise and torrential  rain forecast for this evening.

Rest of roast ham for tea,broccoli and I might do sliced potatoes in cream  with  a pinch of nutmeg .

Look after yourselves folks. Especially those with health concerns .
Cheerio or wuff wuff wuff wuuuff !
No growling at you folks .
They will come to take me away one day ——
Viktoria.

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 February 24 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Another gloomy and damp day with country roads full of water.  Talk about "February Fill-Dyke"! 
And another funeral to go to added to the gloom.

Last night made use of the half side of smoked salmon that I received at Christmas.  I had portioned it out,  frozen the portions to use as and when, and saw a good recipe for smoked salmon fishcakes.  Very simply, boil and mash potatoes. flake and chop the salmon, finely chop some spring onions and parsley and/or dill.  Mix together with grated lemon rind, add seasoning and form cakes.  Roll them in plain flour and fry in olive oil for 5 minutes on both sides.  Serve with green veg.  It couldn't be simpler, but my husband, who doesn't often comment on my cooking, said these fishcakes were delicious and tucked in heartily.  I'm sure it would work well with ordinary salmon, or even other kinds of fish, but it really was special.  (Viktoria, I'm copying your cookery comments, which I always enjoy! ;) )
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 February 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I love smoked salmon- any kind of salmon.
Thanks for the recipe .

Well —— news just now,Everest —- contaminated by human waste!
What a disgrace,just put the news on whilst I have my brunch ready for Bargain Hunt .

Been tidying my sewing drawers ,tapes, bindings ,cottons ,etcetc,
I keep tiny lengths ,but the minute I throw them away——yes I find I ought to have kept them.
I loved my Mum’s button tin.
She had some unusual ones, cut from clothes many years before so quite a few ArtDeco designs of the 1920’s to 30’s.
She had a story for every one.
My sister claimed them in their oval biscuit tin with Buckingham Palace on the lid ,well she was the eldest .
When bored I used to love rooting through them.
A button tin is quite educational ,sorting , colours, sizes ,number of holes etc .Handy for grandchildren,—— under supervision if very young.

Well ,cheerio.
Hope everyone is alright ,the weather is worrying in places .
Viktoria.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 09 February 24 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Just annoyed!
Watching Richard Osman’s “ House of Games”,question was re the wives of Henry VIII, wel we learn’t at school
Divorced—-Katherine of Aragon
Beheaded —-Anne Boleyn
Died—-Jane Seymour.
Divorced— Anne of Cleaves.
Beheaded — Catherine Howard .
Survived— Katherine Parr.

But the answer today had it different.
I know Katherine of Aragon was not beheaded.
That is really poor !
Viktoria >:(

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 09 February 24 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Very poor Viktoria! Didn't Henry send her off to The Fens where she subsequently died? Certainly not beheaded.
Write to the BBC!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales