Author Topic: Killegar - Smith - Cullen  (Read 3928 times)

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Killegar - Smith - Cullen
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 15 February 24 22:18 GMT (UK) »

Edited to add: Can't yet find a civil birth registration for Maurice, but he was baptised as Maurice John in Youghal RC parish on 13 April 1887, his sponsors were John Cullen and Ellen Power.
That Maurice Cullen was born in 1883 to John & Ellen Cullen.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 15 February 24 22:45 GMT (UK) »
 Sorry, forgot to say, welcome billcs.  :) 

Is Margaret Killegar named as William’s mother on his marriage certificate? Is that where you have her name?
Where do you have the evidence that she is the daughter of Garrett and Johanna Walsh Killegar?
It is a bit of a puzzle.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 16 February 24 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, forgot to say, welcome billcs.  :) 

Is Margaret Killegar named as William’s mother on his marriage certificate? Is that where you have her name?
Where do you have the evidence that she is the daughter of Garrett and Johanna Walsh Killegar?
It is a bit of a puzzle.
Correct. Garrett and Johanna's names are in her baptism record from 1845.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 February 24 22:00 GMT (UK) »

Yes, we can see that baptism.
I was asking, if you have Margaret’s maiden name in any records you have for William Smith?
For example, there is a published tree for William Smith with parents Michael and Margaret Killochan.
The baptism of Margaret Killegar has been attached to this record and it is a similar name.

William A Smith’s birthplace is recorded as ‘Grenagh’ but a birth  record 1866, Dublin is attached with parents, Michael Smith and Margaret ‘Khehoe’.

The records posted earlier on this thread, indicate that Margaret, daughter of Garrett and Johanna, married Michael Landers.
As I wrote, it is a puzzle.

Offline billcs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 February 24 03:59 GMT (UK) »

Yes, we can see that baptism.
I was asking, if you have Margaret’s maiden name in any records you have for William Smith?
For example, there is a published tree for William Smith with parents Michael and Margaret Killochan.
The baptism of Margaret Killegar has been attached to this record and it is a similar name.

William A Smith’s birthplace is recorded as ‘Grenagh’ but a birth  record 1866, Dublin is attached with parents, Michael Smith and Margaret ‘Khehoe’.

The records posted earlier on this thread, indicate that Margaret, daughter of Garrett and Johanna, married Michael Landers.
As I wrote, it is a puzzle.

Thank you, and welcome to my puzzle!

I don't subscribe to Ancestry but saw that tree on a two-week trial recently. My lead came years ago from another tree on Ancestry which I found when Ancestry was free to use from home during the pandemic. This other tree is more recent and I was surprised to see it. The user name leads me to believe that it was created by a relative I have not seen or heard from in about 30 years.

I'm wondering if Margaret might have married Michael Landers after Michael Smith died but she is listed as a spinster rather than a widow on the marriage certificate, which would mean that this is a mistake. The marriage in 1884 would have put her around 40 or in her 40's at the time of this marriage, which seems old for the times for a first marriage. William had no siblings, so I'm thinking Michael Smith might have died when he was a child.

I believe that Killochan is not the right spelling on the marriage certificate as there are very few people with the name, which is usually associated with a castle in Scotland. I know this is an assumption but I looked for years for anyone with that last name without success, particularly from Ireland.

William did not have a middle name, it is nowhere on census records or his death certificate or any other records that my father has which were passed down from my grandfather. The A comes only from that baptism record, so I ruled it out before in my research. Margaret's last name is misspelled and appears to be a variation of Kehoe, which though it is Irish is even less close to Killochan, and was another reason for me to rule it out as a match.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 February 24 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the quick response.
There are 23 public trees for William.

One has him as William A Smith.
That one and 5 others have Margaret Killochan as his mother but they attach the baptism of Margaret Killegar to her.
17 trees have unknown parents or no publicly available events.

Birth
16 trees show birth as Grenagh, Cork with dates around December 1865 but no record.
Others have the Dublin birth or none.

Would you be able to post a snippet of the marriage record which shows his parents’ names?

Do you have evidence that Bridget Kelligar Cullen is a niece or has that been assumed from the Youghal records?

How do you know that William had no siblings?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 18 February 24 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Back again, with another thought.

Have you got the 1911 census details for William? I just wonder if there is a more detailed birthplace given .

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 18 February 24 09:05 GMT (UK) »
In the 1899 marriage record of William Smith to 'Catherine Madden or Fallan', I don't see a deciphering issue with William's father, it is quite clearly 'Michael Smith. Shoemaker (deceased)'

William's mother is Margaret Smith and her maiden surname looks to me like Killochan or Killuchan.

BTW, there is someone called Kate on the same page with the same unusual form of initial 'K' used, so I'm confident it is indeed a 'K'.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 18 February 24 09:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks gaffy.