Author Topic: I've Lost Lily!  (Read 1157 times)

Offline rutht22000

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I've Lost Lily!
« on: Sunday 18 February 24 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Lily Speed was born in 1897 in Newcastle, daughter of Walter and Mary Jane (nee Scotter)

She is with her parents and siblings in 1901 at 83 Holly Avenue in Jesmond and then in 1911 at 95 Cambridge Avenue, Whitley Bay.

But then I can't find her marrying, dying or anything...

If anyone can offer up anything I would be grateful :)

Thank you
Jeacock
Colebourne
Shepherd
Scotter
Sievers
Knowles
Pritchard
Lilley
Hart/Hertz
Woodmansey
Monnington
Thomas (South Wales)
John (South Wales)
Pearce (South Wales)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I've Lost Lily!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 24 17:03 GMT (UK) »
No guarantees, but I would be looking to investigate a marriage relatively close to home.  A marriage 26 January 1929 in South Shields to David W. Batey at a non Anglican venue might be worth investigating. 
Date found on South Shields bmdsite:
https://www.southtyneside.gov.uk/article/3044/Search-historical-births-deaths-and-marriages-records

Perhaps you might be able to look for a newspaper report or notice which might link her to the family?
I see her parents and brothers are showing on Find a Grave in the Whitley Bay area.
This may not be her but I would try to rule in or out first because of relatively close location to Whitley Bay.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 24 17:09 GMT (UK) »
Births Dec 1898 
BATEY    David William         Gateshead    10a   935

Death
David William Batey  79  Birth Date    8 Oct 1898
Registration Date Sept qtr 1978  Durham Northern  Volume    1   Page    1208

No Batey/Speed births found
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 24 17:14 GMT (UK) »
You could try contacting the South Shields office by email and ask a direct question - ask if the have marriage cert of Lily Speed 1929 .. Father Walter Speed.
They may either say yes or that the Father is not a person of that name and in which case you can rule this one out.

By the way, do you know iif the family were of a particular religious denomination?  The 1929 Lily may have either married at non Anglican Church or registry office.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/225366887/walter_speed
Added: Actually, I see that family grave at Whitly Bay is in Section C which is a consecrated section - so they may have been Cof E.

https://one-name.org/marriage-locator/

I see from marriage locator that her parents married at a registry office in Newcastle in 1895.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 February 24 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Today, River Tyne Lass said By the way, do you know if the family were of a particular religious denomination? --- baptism of Lily on the 29th July 1897 took place at the Bainbridge Memorial Wesleyan, Heaton, Newcastle. The family were living at 34 Chillingham Rd. Heaton.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 February 24 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Looking at that 1929 marriage in South Shields:

Lily and David W. Batey can be found on the 1939 register. Lily's birth date is given there as 1901. 

There is the death of a Lily Batey in Durham North RD in 1984, birth date 17th January 1901.

So I think she is quite likely the Lily Speed born in Lanchester RD in the 1st quarter of 1901, not the one born in 1897.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 24 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Today, River Tyne Lass said A marriage 26 January 1929 in South Shields to David W. -- the 1939 Register shows David W Batey, born 8/10/1898, along with his wife Lily, born 17/01/1901, living at  51 Rothbury Gardens, Gateshead -- so not the Lily Speed that the OP is looking for.

I see that JenB beat me to it!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 18 February 24 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Okay this one can be ruled out.
I could perhaps see if there might be any clues in the Whitley Seaside Chronicle next time I can get to North Shields local studies.

By the way I can't see full article but there seems to be a mention of a Harry Alcroft eldest Grandson of a Walter Speed, 1st class radio Officer, mentioned in despatches May 1942- online on BNA. (Newcastle Evening Chronicle) Any connection to Lily, I wonder?

Harry Alcraft birth June quarter 1920 Mother's maiden name Speed

..There does seem to have been a marriage but his Mother may have been a Minnie Speed so can rule this out too.

I'll check the Whitley paper for clues when I next can.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 February 24 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Harry Alcraft, born in 1920, was the son of Lily's sister Minnie who married Harry Alcraft (senior) in 1920.

Edit: sorry RTL, I see you’ve edited your post to include this  ;)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk