Author Topic: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ymchwilio Hanes Teulu Cymru
    • View Profile
Re: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans
« Reply #63 on: Friday 10 May 24 21:44 BST (UK) »
I spoke to someone tonight about Mary Ann Evans.  Mary Ann lived with him when she was old.  Mary Ann has a sister that lives in Treorchy, Wales.  Don't have a name for them. He said that her family and her mother Jane was from Treorchy.

He remembers taking Mary Ann up to Treorchy so that she could meet her sister in the Cafe.  He does remember a Monnie and Berwyn Hughes up in Treorchy that Mary Ann's sister lived with and they were related, but does not know how.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 10 May 24 22:14 BST (UK) »
There aren’t many Berwyn Hughes around. Could be a red herring but there is Berwyn Hughes born 1937 Pontypridd mmn Morgan

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 10 May 24 22:26 BST (UK) »
IF him, in Ancestry electoral rolls in 1962 he lives in Abertonllwyd Street, Treherbert with a David W Hughes and a Dorothy Hughes presumably his parents. In later electoral roles he is in Cardiff with a Carole Hughes and a Berwyn Hughes and a Carole Rich marry in Cardiff in 1971. A David W Hughes and Mary Morgan marry in Pontypridd in 1936

This tree on Ancestry has more on this family https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/tree/117761763/family?cfpid=192558914306 but, as said earlier it could all be a red herring and I am barking up the wrong tree (enough metaphors for one night!)

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 11 May 24 20:42 BST (UK) »
I spoke to him again today and he said that Mary Ann was related to Berwyn's Wife called Moonie.  He was not sure how it was spelt, but is was pronounced as "Moon E".  Moonie's mother was called Lil, probably short for Lilian but they only referred to her as Lil.

I will ask him if he know what year he went up there or how old he was, also how old this Berwyn, Moonie or Lil was at that time.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 11 May 24 21:36 BST (UK) »
Could also be Mooney (Irish name?)? I don’t think it’s them but the only thing remotely close I can find is the marriage of an Alwyn Berwyn Hughes to a Minnie Quiggin in 1894 in Liverpool. Alywyn was born 30 Dec 1866 (1939 register) and was a shipping director. In 1939 was in Holylake, Cheshire. Census records say he was born in Liverpool and  his birth is registered in W. Derbyshire and Toxteth Park. Alwyn Berwyn does sound Welsh and his father John Hughes was from Denbigh.

Might be worth asking if Moonie could possibly have been Irish. A guesstimate of Berwyn and Moonie’s ages would also be useful and what year(s) are we talking about for these visits

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Sunday 12 May 24 22:27 BST (UK) »
A little bit more information - Moni & Berwyn Hughes.  Moni's mother was Lili Maud (No Surname yet).

Makes me think that Moni is short for Monica. 

The year range they would have met would be 1962 - 1969 - I will try and get a better date and ages.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Monday 13 May 24 06:44 BST (UK) »
I would guess Lili Maud was Lilian Maud. Surnames would be very useful. Berwyn could be a middle name, as could Moni.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 13 May 24 18:40 BST (UK) »
Randomly searching around I found this on Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1731456239:8960?tid=&pid=&queryId=0910b0cb-940f-4209-87b5-306f90dcc650&_phsrc=XQW21&_phstart=successSource . It gives little specific information, but refers to obituaries 2004 onwards. This one specifically for a Monica Rees Hughes of Llannon Road, Pontyberem, husband Berwyn, son Nigel. Perhaps others can find more specific information and/or with your local knowledge it might ring a bell. Certainly I don’t think there are many Monica/Berwyn combinations around.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 13 May 24 18:43 BST (UK) »
Found this funeral notice: Monica ReesHUGHES
Moni Peacefully on Tuesday 6th February 2018 at Glangwili Hospital, Carmarthen; Moni of Llannon Road, Pontyberem. Beloved wife of the late Berwyn, loving mother of Nigel, caring grandmother of Catrin and Simon, proud great grandmother of Holly, Ava and Aidan, dear mother-in-law of the late Susan. Public Funeral Service at Bethel Funeral Home, Pontyberem