Author Topic: Charles Thomas Donbavand, born 1853, Manchester, Lancashire  (Read 450 times)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Thomas Donbavand, born 1853, Manchester, Lancashire
« on: Monday 18 March 24 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to the excellent researchers looking for my last request, I am now hoping that Charles Thomas Donbavand, born 1853 in Manchester can be found.

There are many ways the enumerators have spelled the name over the years but I still cannot locate him.

Charles was born to George Donbavand and Elizabeth Davies (some records show this as Davis) in 1853 and was baptised in Manchester Cathedral on the 24th April 1853.

He is on the 1861 census living with his father George, siblings and lodgers. His mother had died after her youngest child Annie had been born.

In 1871, Charles is living in Wilfred Street, Salford with his sister Mary Jane and her husband Robert Bingley Crabtree.

In 1874 he is admitted into Manchester Prison for being Drunk and Riotess. His surname is spelled as Dunbain.
He gives his address as Lower ..aughton Road  -  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDG8-1MD         
and his sister’s name Maria Donbavand.

From this I know both Charles and Maria are still alive in 1874 and neither have married.

Whilst his sisters : Mary Jane, 1844 -1887;   Sarah Elizabeth, b.1855 ; Alice, 1858 - 1905 ; Annie, 1860 - 1912 can all be accounted for, Charles, Maria, born 1848 and Hannah born 1857, cannot be found.

Any help in locating would be very much appreciated. I have tried various ways of spelling Donbavand but …….

I joked in my last posting that I hope I don’t find any more ancestors who have broken the law. Charles has had one encounter with the police, has he had more I wonder.

Thank you in anticipation of finding Thomas.
Many thanks
SNG

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Thomas Donbavand, born 1853, Manchester, Lancashire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Born 25.11.1852 per baptismal record.  Baptised 24.4.1853
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 13:02 GMT (UK) »
You mention Hannah b 1857 and Annie b 1860.

In 1861 2923 /69/ 40
I can only see Ann E, 4yrs.

You seem to have Annie 1860 - 1912 so you might have this record
1881 3946 /32/7

Annie E Donbavand, 23 yrs Manchester. She is a servant in Pendleton.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood and CarolW.

Yes Charles was born in November 1852. I just used the BMD index when writing my post, sorry.

Just after Annie was born, her mother died.  In 1871 Alice and Annie were with their mother’s sister - Jane Davies who married Richard Dawson.
Alice went on to marry her sister’s husband after her sister Mary Jane died. Consequently Robert Crabtree married Mary Jane Donbavand and then Alive Donbavand.

Annie married George Slatford in New York and died in 1912 in America, having emigrated there.

Hannah was born 4th August 1857 and baptised 2nd May 1858 in Hulme. I’m now wondering if the Ann E on the 1861 census is Hannah. A case of dropping the “h” when there is an “h” and adding it when there isn’t one.

Thanks
SNG

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 21:35 GMT (UK) »
I can see the death of Elizabeth Donbavand, 39 yrs in March quarter 1860.

Lancashire BMD has these births with mmn Davis
1857 - Hannah in Hulme subdistrict
1859 - Alfred in Hulme

GRO
1857 September quarter Chorlton -- Hannah
1859 September quarter Chorlton - Alice

There is no Alfred in GRO indexes - so perhaps mistranscribed and should be Alice

I don’t see a birth for Annie around mother’s death.
Do you have the details?

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I see there is a bit of a query in your other thread re Annie.
It looks as though Hannah and Annie could be the same person.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 March 24 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood

I did have the birth certificate but goodness only knows where it is. I’ve been researching this family for over 20 years (went to Manchester and Ruabon archives in those days)

I’ve just come back to it because I am trying to find a link to a DNA match and it has to be among this lot somewhere.

Thanks to the researchers on this site, Annie went to America and married George Slatford there.

I don’t think Annie and Hannah are the same people because Hannah was born in 1857 and Annie in 1860.
(Alice Donbavand named her youngest daughter Annie and Alice’s son - my maternal grandfather named his youngest daughter Annie so it was obviously a name that was significant to them.)

I did find a death for a Maria Donbavand in Chorlton in 1872 but the prison record of Charles citing Maria’s name indicated that she was still alive in 1874 or did Charles tell a “porkie”?

I can’t read the name of the road on the prison entry. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDG8-1MD
To check if Charles or Maria or Hannah were living there in 1871.

Elizabeth died on the 12th January 1860 in Chorlton.
George remarried in 1864 and died in 1868.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 03:03 GMT (UK) »
The address listed for his sister Maria on his prison entry looks like  Lower Broughton Road - presumably Salford?  However the date of this admission was on Sept 1872 .   I can't see Lower Broughton Road on the 1871 census :-\

In Feb 1874 he was admitted to Manchester Strangeways as Charles Dumverband age 21 address 23 Prospect Grove, Eccleshall Road, Salford with no relatives listed.  https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KDGZ-M2X

Kay

Added - Sadly I think this Maria Donbavand   who died in 1872. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KD6J-RYJ  The death cert lists the infomant as William Donbavand - machinist address 65 Rosamund St Chorlton

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 March 24 07:49 GMT (UK) »
I don’t think Annie and Hannah are the same people because Hannah was born in 1857 and Annie in 1860.
(Alice Donbavand named her youngest daughter Annie and Alice’s son - my maternal grandfather named his youngest daughter Annie so it was obviously a name that was significant to them.)

Alice was born June 1859 and baptised in August 1859.
If I have the right Elizabeth, she died 11th January, - cause, Bronchitis-  and was buried 15th January 1860.

If there was a birth for Annie, it would be in December quarter 1859 or April quarter 1860 (born before 11 January) and would not be a full term pregnancy.

I have searched births for variants of Donbavand but cannot see anything re Annie.

I only write this because you are trying to find Hannah in later years.

I mentioned queries on your previous thread re Annie https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=881225.0
quotes her marriage - 1890 and her age 32 yrs.
(This would be wrong whichever person she was).

Then the 1900 census is referred to - her birth August 1861.
Hannah Elizabeth was born August 1857.