Author Topic: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige  (Read 27871 times)

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
Re: Turnbull / Bonchesterbrige
« Reply #126 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

My cousin took the photo at my request.  He has the framed copy at his place in Los Angeles.

Tim

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

My cousin took the photo at my request.  He has the framed copy at his place in Los Angeles.

Tim

And so you are effectively saying that  that framed copy includes the hand writing in the lower right hand corner

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Dear Tim,

The family tree that was marked with an X came from my private collection.  It was marked by Aunt Cynthia because the family line did not continue.  There were no fruits from that branch.

Sincerely,

Mike

Mike,

re your Aunt Cynthia, 

Do you know why she did not mark any other apparently non fruiting branches on that tree?   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:33 GMT (UK) »
JM,

Precisely.  It has the handwritten comment "By Lucy Ann Wilson Feb 1890" as well as the "X" previously mentioned.

Tim

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 12 February 21 21:54 GMT (UK) »
JM,

Precisely.  It has the handwritten comment "By Lucy Ann Wilson Feb 1890" as well as the "X" previously mentioned.

Tim

Yes,  and so you need to accept that that handwriting is NOT Lucy's nor was it written on that document in 1890.

There was a discussion about it earlier in this thread, long before you joined.

You could consider  the info on that tree as an AID to help you to do your own research, but you need to recognise it may well contain flaws or may not be fully developed. 

If you are seaching internationally, it can be a good habit to refrain from US date conventions, and  write the letters for the month ... eg 12 Feb 2021 or Feb 12, 2021. 

So if  displaying your work in progress, online, in a public forum like RChat, You will likely need to have confidence in your own research, and have alreadu obtained some official records,  and primary source records, and have become less reliant on secondary sources or on indexes.   

Just my opinion of course, but the handwritten comment on that tree is likely to be a 21st century note by a researcher who is attributing the info on that tree to Lucy, and dating it to Feb 1890. 

JM.

Offline TTLovesKwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Californian
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 12 February 21 22:33 GMT (UK) »
JM,

Thank you for the advice, I mean that sincerely. 

I do not believe that the "Lucy..." handwritten note was done in the 21st century.  I'll go contact my remaining relatives and see if anyone has any insight into the history of how we came into possession of that specific copy.

The mystery continues.

Tim

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Friday 12 February 21 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi TTLovesKwi,

Might you be able to draw a circle around Elizabeth Ann Wilson in the tree, as I am struggling to see her there.

This image of the family tree is one that I scanned from a book called "The Wilson Story" by Cynthia Wierzbicka who was descended from Sir James Glenny Wilson who emigrated to New Zealand from Hawick, Scotland. The book was published in 1973.

The notes on the image are mine, and the X denotes my Great, Great, Great Grandfather's branch "Walter Wilson" 1798-1862 Cabinet Maker of Hawick.

I would be interested in knowing more about your Wilson family TTLovesKwi.

I had some Wilson family that ended up in California.

I also have some Y-DNA connections to male Wilson's in California at present, but they are likely connected to myself from about 400 years ago, so the DNA experts suggest.

Thanks

Brett

Brett says HE wrote those words. 

JM,

Thank you for the advice, I mean that sincerely. 

I do not believe that the "Lucy..." handwritten note was done in the 21st century.  I'll go contact my remaining relatives and see if anyone has any insight into the history of how we came into possession of that specific copy.

The mystery continues.

Tim

I see no mystery, only misunderstanding.

JM

Offline BrettMaximus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Saturday 13 February 21 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Attached is a copy of my email sent to Professor Douglas Scott (Astro Physics) in Canada.

Douglas is from Hawick, Scotland and he is also the author of "A Hawick Word Book" which is a document comprising more than 3,000 pages on the people, the places and words of Hawick and the Scottish Borders in general.

The email I sent, was of a scan or photograph of the tree from the book "The Wilson Story", which I marked an X on my family line and I wrote "By Lucy Ann Wilson 1890".

I sent this email on the 5th of June, 2016 to Douglas Scott. I had not come into contact with E.M Wilson at that point, infact, I believe it was  September 2016 when I was introduced to E.M Wilson via Alastair Redpath of Project Hawick.

The book with the tree inside the front cover, covering the front cover and the first page of the book horizontally (the crease is clearly visible), was kindly sent to me by Karola (daughter of the author, Cynthia Wierzbicka nee Wilson) from New Zealand and my email records show that I emailed Karola on the 16th of Feb, 2015 to thank her and tell her that the book had arrived.

Brett Wilson

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Saturday 13 February 21 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Brett. 

You may need to dedact email addresses from that image.

JM