Author Topic: Re: RC Glasgow Meet 13th-14th October 2007 - P & O  (Read 31224 times)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: RC Glasgow Meet - Autumn 2007 - organisation and planning
« Reply #81 on: Saturday 20 January 07 20:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget, looking forward to hearing all about it once you've recovered  :D

Prue

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:29 GMT (UK) »
I'd recommend this meeting place
http://www.cca-glasgow.com/

looking forward rather than back,
non-challenging environment for anyone arriving on their own
something to do until you meet up with the others
good cafe/ place for lunch-good food and newspapers, magazines, soups, juice etc
central
plenty of space for a large group
staff who won't hassle you
easy to chill after a long journey
Monique
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Welcome back Gadget, good to see you enjoyed Glasgow and it all sounds very exciting. 

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:33 GMT (UK) »
There is one little write up that I must share before collapsing  :)

On the previous thread, Ticker referred us Arta somewhere I think he said was his kind of place  :o

This is part of a review of said establishement:

....Although potentially over the top, it nevertheless manages to attract a crowd that is primarily thirtysomething, smartly dressed, beautiful and loaded.....

Gadget  ::) ::) ::)

a bit posy for me-the Metropolitan is a bit more to my taste-but either way, Merchant City is a bit out of it and expensive (two course dinner plus drinks  for two gave little change from £90 last month)
Monique

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:41 GMT (UK) »
I'd recommend this meeting place
http://www.cca-glasgow.com/

looking forward rather than back,
non-challenging environment for anyone arriving on their own
something to do until you meet up with the others
good cafe/ place for lunch-good food and newspapers, magazines, soups, juice etc
central
plenty of space for a large group
staff who won't hassle you
easy to chill after a long journey
Monique

Monique

Thanks for your suggestion. The CCA is OK if you happen to be into contemporary art in Scotland (which I am) but is seen by many as a wee bit pretentious  - full of people like me, no doubt  ;D :o  ;D

It's also not all that easy to find if you've never been to Glasgow before. I think that Central Station might be the best meeting place - althought I wasn't in favour originally.

A further point. The CCA is having budget/funding problems. The Scottish Arts Council has recently had major changes to its funding policy, etc. Also, it must be remembered that this is a Family History/Social History event.

Regards

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline stephen7

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:42 GMT (UK) »

....Although potentially over the top, it nevertheless manages to attract a crowd that is primarily thirtysomething, smartly dressed, beautiful and loaded.....

Gadget  ::) ::) ::)
that sounded like me 20 something years ago. guess i'll give that place a miss
steve
watson,smith,(cambridge)cadle,(gloucester)hutton,utton, phenix,(norfolk)tarleton,paterson,sommerville,stephenson ( lanarkshire) ,walker, lewis, mordecai,sparks,(glamorgan),bolitho. (cornwall)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 20 January 07 21:51 GMT (UK) »

Monique

Thanks for your suggestion. The CCA is OK if you happen to be into contemporary art in Scotland (which I am) but is seen by many as a wee bit pretentious  - full of people like me, no doubt  ;D :o  ;D

It's also not all that easy to find if you've never been to Glasgow before. I think that Central Station might be the best meeting place - althought I wasn't in favour originally.

Also, it must be remembered that this is a Family History/Social History event.

I was only suggesting it as a place to gather-central station is a pain in the arse to get to if you arrive at Queen st station and not a nice place to hang around ( my sister in law threatened with a knife there) . I'd have thought saucihall as central as it gets, but hey.If you decide to meet at the station, let me know where you are going thereafter and I'll try to catch up.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 20 January 07 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Central Station is only about 5 mins walk from Queen Street. Well it was yesterday.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 20 January 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Gadget -

Welcome back and thanks for your travel tips. Seems as if you really enjoyed your trip and appears you had a rather good time.

Did you still have time for retail therapy? .... that is after your Rootschat responsibilities ...

yn9man
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen