Author Topic: Re: RC Glasgow Meet 13th-14th October 2007 - P & O  (Read 31161 times)

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: RC Glasgow Meet - Autumn 2007 - organisation and planning
« Reply #90 on: Sunday 21 January 07 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Central Station is only about 5 mins walk from Queen Street. Well it was yesterday.

I guess it is if you are able bodied. Don't take it as a personal criticism. It wasn't meant that way-I was just offering an alternative place to hang out until everyone arrives by train, plane, car whatever
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 21 January 07 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Monique

The CCA is about the same distance from Queen street as Central Station is, so you perplex me  ???

I'm not sure what your problem is. We have had this thread running for quite a while and tentative arrangements have been made for the Autumn. Julian, a few others and I are looking at various options. You seem to want a meeting in June in the CCA  ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 22 January 07 21:06 GMT (UK) »
 G & J
Still waiting on my Scottish colleagues to come back to me on appropriate venues for the

But we have til the autumn............... they will get back to me before then  ;D

Cal  8)
UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 22 January 07 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Monique

The CCA is about the same distance from Queen street as Central Station is, so you perplex me  ???

I'm not sure what your problem is. We have had this thread running for quite a while and tentative arrangements have been made for the Autumn. Julian, a few others and I are looking at various options. You seem to want a meeting in June in the CCA  ???

Gadget
I don't have a problem
I thought this was a thread where any rootschatter could join in-I'm "perplexed" by the tone of voice which is unusual for this forum
I have never suggested holding a meeting at the CCA-as I imagine you have never suggested holding one at a railway station. Instead, I offered it as a friendly and non-intimidating place to find each other before moving on, since the thread seemed to be asking for opinions
I had thought of making the journey-not so sure now

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Monique

Sorry  if you took offence - Gadget and I discussed what you had posted (and your previous posts) and were not quite clear where you are coming from.

We're very keen on suggestions for the meet, but we also know that we can't please everybody.  It's also incumbent on us to read (and try to remember) all the posts on this (and the previous thread).  We are in danger of knitting fog if we try to take every sugestion on board.

We hope to tie down a date very soon, and then will start filling in the details about what the meet will cover and where we will assemble etc. 

We know that as details firm up, some people who planned to come will start dropping out, eg the date isn't right for them, or the proposed itinerary is not to their taste.  We can't help that - our aim has to be to put a package together that reflects the wants of those people who originally expressed an interest in attending back in last September/October.

I repeat that we are still keen for ideas and various spies have been sent out to do some on the ground research to feed into that planning.

Apologies for the length of this post - but briefer replies can be more easily misunderstood.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline mc8

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:11 GMT (UK) »
As one who an expressed an interest last September, I'll wait to see what has been decided and presented to see if it matches my wants and offers an opportunity to meet a (ususally) friendly group

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:11 GMT (UK) »
A possible meeting up place, which I hope will meet with general approval, is The Lighthouse. It is pretty central, has an observation tower where one can look over Glasgow and a nice cafe.

For general info:
http://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/

For info on how to get there:
http://www.thelighthouse.co.uk/page.php?page=information&sub=in-find

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Monique

As Julian says, we are trying to come up with an itinerary that everyone will be happy with. A number of people had expressed a dislike of the CCA to me via PMs.

Trying to organise this meeting is not an easy task as people have different wishes. We hope to build flexibility into the programme so that people can opt in and out at various points.

I have checked the previous thread and my PMs concerning this meet and cannot find a message from you expressing an interest. Those who have are listed here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0158/

I hope that you will find enough on the final itinerary to interest you.

Gadget

Offline Mrs Teddy Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 23 January 07 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how I missed this thread before - probably because I tend to stick to the areas that I am searching in.

I am very interested in attending this meet -luckily for me it is almost on my home patch.

If I  maybe so bold to suggest a venue,  The City Inn just along from the Scottish exhibition centre station is a superb venue ( I have used this venue for a number of events that I have organised in the past) It is reasonable and the food they serve is good.  It is located on the banks of the clyde underneath the last remaining giant crane in the city.

If I can help in organising anything then I am happy to help.

Mrs T :D
Carnegie, Bushmills County Antrim, McLaughlin Campbell, Ballycastle . Toomey, Limerick, Dolan or Doulan or Doolan. McAlindon