Author Topic: Richard and Phillis HICKMAN went to Tasmania  (Read 11289 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Richard and Phillis HICKMAN went to Tasmania
« on: Monday 16 July 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Found my first ancestors that went to Oz, this is new territory for me!  ;D

Would someone be able to tell me how I can find out when they went, all I know is that I have an 1841 census for them in Hellingly, Sussex and then they disappear off the face of the earth.

On the IGI I have found deaths for them Richard 8 May 1876 at Geeveston, Tasmania and Phillis 6 April 1879, New Town, Tasmania.

Presumably they went between 1841 and 1851 as they don't appear on the 1851 census.

Richard Hickman (sometimes Hickmar or Hickmore) was born 1800, Sussex and Phillis was born 1800 in Chiddingly, Sussex.  They had the following children:

Ellen born 1827, Sussex
Eliza born 1832, Sussex died, 1908 Tasmania
Owen born 1830 Sussex
Lois born 1833, Sussex
Harriett born 1836, Sussex
Henry born 1826, died New Town, Tasmania
Fanny born 1823, Sussex
Richard born 1839, sussex, died 1859 Hobart, Tasmania (So were obviously there by then! so my hunch of 1841 - 51 could be right!)

If anyone could give me some pointers towards the right direction to finding them I would be really grateful.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard and Phillis Hickman went to Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Kerry

Nice to see you visiting Oz  :)  :)

You should find some information at the Tasmanian Archives & perhaps the Southern Cemetery Trust & there are perhaps some more useful links on the Australian Resources board
http://www.archives.tas.gov.au/ - try the name indexes - esp the Colonial data base

http://www.srct.com.au/search.html    Cemeteries

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,399.0.html

I have to go out shortly but there will no doubt be lots of other Tas folks around with information

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 02:16 BST (UK) »
Here are a few probable marriages from the AVRI which covers Tas BDM to 1900
Lois Hickman 18 married 2 Jun 1851 Stephen GEEVES 24
Eliza Hickman 24 married Osborne GREEVES 24 28 Feb 1856
(probably brothers?)
Richard Hickman 20 married Sarah Rowland 20 27 April 1859
Harriett Hickman age 19 married Samuel Cato 23 4 Jan 1855
Henry Hickman 31 married Fanny FREELAND 22 23 Oct 1856
Frances (Fanny?) Hickman A married Joseph Cato A 31 Mar 1846  - If this one is yours it narrows the travel date further.

(Nothing like keeping the marriages in the family/ies  :)  :)

If they went direct to Tasmania, the immigration would probably be at the archives. There are not many Tas immigration indexes online to the best of my knowlege. The family is quite large so there must be Tasmanians researching them. Google may find some?

Not sure if you are interested but you can buy the AVRI in UK (we cannot buy it in Oz  :o  :o ) from the LDS for about 7 pounds

Trish

Offline Cazay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 04:04 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Hickman headstones through State Library of Tasmania

http://eheritage.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/search/search.aspx?KEYWORDS=hickman

Cazay

Essex; Livermore, Barker  Norfolk; Wood, Lack, Spurgeon, Long Wiltshire; Ricketts, Sealey, Dew  Lincs; Drage  Cumberland; McNicol, Bowman  Lancashire; Brogden, Davis

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 07:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your help, that gives me something to work with and I've already confirmed some of the details that I found on the IGI for this family.

Kerry  ;D

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 08:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Have a look at World Connect.
http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

There is a lot of information on your family from other searchers and some of it conflicts with what has come up on this board.
The family appears to have a connection to the Latter Day Saints.

Lois appears born in Tas.  It is interesting that they married people named Geeves and lived and died in Geeveston.
The  information on World Connect is from contributors and subject to error.
Interesting just the same.

Sue

This gives a bit of a clue.  The place was named after an early settler named William Geeves.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Tasmania/Geeveston/2005/02/17/1108500205770.html

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry & Sue

The Geeves connection was slightly unusual. Lois and Steven had many children - only one managed to get registered with a name - which makes it slightly tricky to track them further
Children of Lois Hickman and Stephen Geeves
Female 14 Jul 1855
James Hadley 15 Jun 1857
Male 18 Mar 1859 - could be Joseph who died 17 April
Male 7 July 1861
Male 30 Apr 1863
Female 22 May 1865
Female 10 Jul 1867
Male 20 oct 1869
Female 7 Feb 1871
Female 5 Jul 1873
Male 14 Jun 1875
Female 6 Dec 1877
Female 15 Feb 1880

Trish

Certainly can't find any births to Richard & Phillis on the AVRI - I guess sometimes folks make assumptions when they can't find the answers

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 09:37 BST (UK) »
I have the 1841 census for the family in Hellingly, Sussex and Lois is certainly there age 7 years old. 

In fact the only two children not with them for that census are the two eldest Fanny (frances) and Henry.  Presumably they are living/working elsewhere and I need to do a search for them.

I got a bit side tracked this morning and found lots of information about the Geeves family, do seem quite influential.

My link with Phillis Hickman is that she has an illegitmate son in 1818, John Funnell who was my great great great grandfather. 

Interstingly enough he and his wife had a daughter in 1849 and called her Phillis.  Presumably only a few years after his mother and new family emigrated.

Kerry

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:02 BST (UK) »
I have the 1841 census for the family in Hellingly, Sussex and Lois is certainly there age 7 years old. 

In fact the only two children not with them for that census are the two eldest Fanny (frances) and Henry.  Presumably they are living/working elsewhere and I need to do a search for them.

It did often happen that older children in a family were the first to emigrate & they then encouraged parents and siblings to join them. This happened with one of my Scottish families - so if you don't find Fanny & Henry, they may already be over here  :)  :)

Do you want the BDM records for offspring from the other marriages?

Trish