Author Topic: Seaman's Orphanage Hull  (Read 110135 times)

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's Orphanage Hull
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jaqy, but there doesn't seem to be a connection.

Thanks for your quick reply!
Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KiloAlpha

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hull Seamen's & General Orphanage
« Reply #91 on: Sunday 17 January 10 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.  I'm very new to this, and have read with much interest the many postings on this site as I have a particular interest in the Orphanage.  I have quite a lot of information on and many photos of Hesslewood Orphanage, (previously Hull Seamen's and General Orphanage) in the period 1950 to its closing in 1985, and a substantial amount of "folklore" and some history relative to the period prior to that.  I may be able to clarify some of the discussion points on this website.

I wonder what the best way of using this is.  Rather than posting a mass of information that may or may not be relevant or appropriate I would prefer to discuss with someone knowledgeable how best to share this.  Perhaps this period is too recent for this group.
As a new member apparently I cannot PM other contributors to this group, so I am not sure how best to proceed.  Perhaps someone can advise me.
KiloAlpha

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sunday 17 January 10 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi KiloAlpha...welcome to Rootschat....How good of you to offer to share what you have....I suggest that you ask for people send a P.M. to you with their email address....you should get a very good response as it is a subject close the the hearts of many who have contributed to this thread...you only need to have three posts in order to P.M. someone....I only live a short drive from Hessle and was married at St. Nicholas Church 8)
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline KiloAlpha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hull Seamen's & General Orphanage
« Reply #93 on: Monday 18 January 10 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Carol,
Many thanks for the kind words and advice (and my apologies for the unexpectedly large size of the picture).  I will await a few days to see if there are any comments/requests.
K

Offline scissors

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am new to this!

Trying to find any info on Hesslewood Orphange around 1944.

My mother was in the  orphanage at this time and we are trying to find out as much as we can, but are at a loss as where to go and what to do, any help woulr be greatly appreciated.

Regards :P

Offline JoberG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 19 January 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Scissors,

Welcome to the "club".   Like you I wish to get info. re children in the Orphanage, but when it was the Hull Seamen's Orphanage and Schools - between 1900 and 1910 in my case.  I await the opening of the new Hull History Centre.  This was scheduled for 25th January 2010.  I hope that it does get going on time.

Look over my earlier posts (from JoBerG) and those of "Treetotal"

Best regards,
Bernard
Hull>Collins, Gill, Carlile, Duncan, Fry
Bath/Bristol>Brain
Dorset> Collins, Jarman, Robins
Leeds and Lower Wharfedale>Gill, Wall, Procter,Watson,Bramley, Irish, Thackray
Kent>Ford, Duncan
Lincolnshire>Ratten
Selby area>Carlile, Hembrough
Northampton,West Bromwich>Jevons

Offline DAB1958

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Monday 22 February 10 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am interested in discussing the information that you have on Hesslewood,i was at the home between 1960 and 1973, my name is Donald Birkett.
yours
Don Rirkett

Offline gps1954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 12 March 10 19:16 GMT (UK) »
New to site. I remember Donald Birkett. I was there from 1959 - 1975, Gail Horton. I have just started a group on Facebook for Hesslewood Orphanage just to see who joins it.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Friday 12 March 10 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gps...Welcome to Rootschat.....if you post once more you will be able to send a P.M. ( personal message)e to KiloAlpha...you need three posts to send a P.M. he  will be able to assist in the time frame you are looking at...for privacy reason...you musn't post names of people who are still living...it is against the rules on here.
Good luck in your search!
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU