Author Topic: Elusive g-g-grandfather  (Read 20741 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elusive g-g-grandfather
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 20 January 08 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cas  ;D

here is the link to the Devon boards ... please have a look and see what you think...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,279491.0.html

I am having quite a hard time with all these Welsh names ...I have no idea where they are or how far they are from each other . I wonder if I should post what I find and then everyone 'in the know' will be able to tell me if I am on the right track ..

deb  ;D
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 20 January 08 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again deb..... 8)

Basically....I think Ayashi has just started out taking up research from a family member, anything you can find on NA in relation to her post on the forces board for Theo may help....his records.

Unknown his previous FH, until marriage cert can confirm who is father is/was.  It seems he was born Llanfiangel c1863 Carmarthenshire, all career details can be found on link above.

I suggested she post on Devon board in that there may be parish info from peeps that could help solve some of the puzzles census, freebmd threw up...

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 21 January 08 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I've only just managed to convince my brother to give me his credit card details so I can have a free trial on the census site ;) but I've been making good progress. I've traced the possible father (Walter) back to 1841, where he appears to have a first marriage and a 24 year gap between his two children  ::) I didn't want to go overboard researching him though, not until I can prove that he was the father (although the shared names seem a really good sign). I don't know anything about his own parents and, like Theophilus, he seems to pride himself in being a bit economical with the truth when it comes to his age. I did find a possible death for him though, in 1886 (the year before Theophilus' marriage).

Theophilus died a "Mess Steward" in the Royal Marines, buried with the rank of "Serjeant". My brother and I think that he retired as a sergeant but either couldn't cope in civilian life (he was a labourer before enlisting it seems, so he might not have been able to go back into that line of work) or wanted to do something for the war effort (he died in 1916).

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 02 February 08 11:43 GMT (UK) »
~Update~

In case anyone was interested... I'm back a generation or two on all branches now :) My great aunt supplied some more RICHARDS and a few photos as well, and I've been allocated the GILLs to research since no one else has done it, as well as ending up with JONES, HAMLEY, WOOD, URWIN, HINE and the elusive BRADYs (I think the fella has pulled a Hamley on me and was born under a different name...)

I've still got to confirm them all of course- I'm keeping a track of the unproved ancestors. But hey, it's progress  ;D

Offline canjohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 June 09 23:19 BST (UK) »
That's interesting as I come from Charlotte Northcott. I had stopped at the HAMBLEY.  Charlotte was the daughter of Richard NORTHCOTT b Virginstow abt 1785 d abt dec 1865 AND  Jane SLIMAN b 1792 in Broadwoodwidger d abt Mar 1879 in Broadwodwidger.  There other children were Thomas 1819 Elizabeth 1824 William 1827( I guess he's the lad on the 1841 census.) Jane 1830 Richard 1833 George 1835 and Mary 1839. (I guess she in in the house next door on the 1841 census) The information was supplied by Broadwoodwidger OPL.  I have not been able to find the marriage of Richard and Jane.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 21 June 09 00:13 BST (UK) »
Oh my god  :o

I had Richard and Jane pencilled in as possible parents, but couldn't confirm it. Do you have any linking there, like baptisms? I'd be grateful for anything you have.

I got a transcript of Richard Hamley and Charlotte Northcott's marriage certificate just this morning. One of the witnesses was John Northcott. Any idea where he fits in?

Wow :D If we can prove this, you would be my first Rootschat rellie! :D

Offline canjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 21 June 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
I've a list of Batisims for Richard and Jane in Virginstow and Charlotte is the first in 13/8/1815.  From the same source I got two Batisms for Richard Northcott
Milton Abbott
Richard Northcott
John
Sussanna
I later found the marriage in 3 mar 1783 her name is Headon. 
They had the following children that I could find
Thomas c 18 Nov 1787
Richard c 26 apr 1789
James c 22 Aug 1790
Susanna c 29 July 1792

The second is in Virginstow
Richard NORCOTT
john
Joan
19/8-1790

The first looks most promising as the spelling is correct.  Interestingly both fathers are John.

Does the marriage certificate give the brides fathers name and occupation?

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 21 June 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
The marriage is 11th Dec 1833 (Ashwater), so before the certificates came in with extra information. The cert is Richard HAMLEY of Lifton marrying Charlotte NORTHCOTT of Ashwater, married after banns by Thomas MELHUISH (rector). Richard signed, Charlotte marked with a cross. The witnesses were Richard BEALY and John NORTHCOTT. That's it. I don't have the actual cert, just a transcript from the microfiche.

As you've probably gathered from the thread, I'm descended from their daughter Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter Elizabeth Jane. Can I ask where you come from?

Offline canjohn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 21 June 09 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. The referance to John Northcott is interesting and I will persue it.
I am from Charlotte's brother Richard.  The oldest record I have is Richard1833 son birth which gives the parents as Richard and Jane.  At that time he was a Dock Labourer in Stoke Damerel.

Charlotte's sister Elizabeth married a Joseph Perkin in 8 April 1841 in Lifton.  I have not been able to tie any other of the Northcotts into marriages yet.  Are you interested ?  do you have any information?