Author Topic: GenesReunited  (Read 54604 times)

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited
« Reply #45 on: Friday 17 September 04 09:42 BST (UK) »
It makes me think a lot of people see the link on Friends and just put some names on and do no more. >:(

They are not really doing family history. It would be good if they could somehow have a clause making replying part of the terms and conditions. But I can't see a way of enforcing it.

I have had many not reply, one way or the other. Some of my names are not common and still no reply.

Diane :(
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 18 September 04 20:45 BST (UK) »
I think Diane is right - I have e.mailed someone four times in as many months, she has a family on GR who are indirectly related to one of my hubbies rellies.  I have a contact in Australia who has a lot of info on that particular family, at the end of the day it's her loss but as D ap D says if you're not interested in following up, why bother putting your info in  :-\
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline ali

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 19 September 04 15:13 BST (UK) »
I've had some success on GR in particular one cousin who had a mass of information on one side of the family, but am getting pretty fed up with the difficulty in accessing any part of the site save for the home page.

I also don't see the point in people putting no estimated date of birth or area (obviously when the relation is still living that makes a difference) but how the hell are you supposed to know wether a name might link to yours if you don't have a clue where they come from?

Searching for

Woodman (Frocester, Great Rissington, Slimbridge, Aston, Birmingham, Bedford, St Albans)
Phillips (Aston, Birmingham)
Crow (King's Lynn, Hull, East Ham)
Gillett (Moreton in Marsh, East Ham)
Jellyman (Coaley, Birmingham Anywhere in Worcestershire or Staffordshire)
Hopkins (Ashleworth, Westbury on Severn)
Curtis (Gloucester, Aston, Birmingham)
Drinkwater (Castle Moreton, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire)
Jackson (Essex)

Plus many more

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 20 September 04 09:26 BST (UK) »
I also don't see the point in people putting no estimated date of birth or area (obviously when the relation is still living that makes a difference) but how the hell are you supposed to know wether a name might link to yours if you don't have a clue where they come from?

I must admit, some of my "lesser" members of the tree also appear as "not known". However, I am remedying this as I go along. The reason is that I didn't enter a date of birth in my "tree programme" as I only have a date of baptism, so I entered this with location in the relevant place. When the Gedcom exported this, there was obviously not DoB or PoB, as these are in the christening info , which is not generally available to view.

Needless to say, I have also corrected this in my tree.

Another thing that gets on my nerves from time to time is the location. The spelling is atrocious, some people put things like "Wales, England", some use the old counties, some the new, some none at all, some put in the road and house number, so looking for one family in one place involves searching several variations of the one place. I wish GC would introduce a convention that most people could then stick to.

That would save time online and nerves.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline ange

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 20 September 04 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
I payed my fee for Genes and was really excited to find other people searching for the same ancestors as me ;D, but 6 months later and apx 15-20 messages sent to others on the site I have received 1 reply :'(. This reply was from a man who said the person I contacted him about was actually his brother in law (deceased) and he would speak to his sister and get back to me, he never did.
I'm not one of these people who just contact anyone with the same surname, but knowing that you're researching the only family with this name in a place/area its very frustrating >:( >:(.
I would not recomend Genes to anybody, I would agree with Chris this site is a waste of money and webspace.
Sorry, starting to rant
Ange :'(
researching: Evans, Smith, Soundie, Brookfield, Frost, Douglas, Heron, Weaver,Redmond, Blackford, Furmedge & McKittrick

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sadnil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 20 September 04 11:55 BST (UK) »
  >:( I have just been reading through (almost) all the genes connected replies. I joined Genes at the very beginning and for the most part have found it very useful, plenty of feedback etc up until the last few months. The face of the site has changed and the tone of some of the replies is almost rude. I won't be renewing my membership and find this site far friendlier.

Lyn

>:(
Corns/Lenton/Downing in Rugeley Staffs
Winspear/Leadley/Hodgson/McClacklin in Whitby N.Yorks
Corns/Binyon/Crofton/Mason/Smith/Farrol in Sunderland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 20 September 04 12:00 BST (UK) »
Have to agree with you.

I joined about 18 months ago. I renewed in May and wish I hadn't bothered.

Everything has changed for the worse. All the so called improvements have caused hassle. Too much back biting etc., very unpleasant at times. A handful of people seem to think they are in charge.

I've had lots of help in unrelated subjects, re computer etc., but what I went on there for, to connect with other researchers just hasn't happened. :(

Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 20 September 04 14:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I actually wondered the same, but then I was contacted by my cousin whom I hadn't seen for over 30 years. He'd found me on the site so I had to register to get his email address. For me, it was £7.50 well spent.
I also found another possible cousin but have not heard from him yet.
Otherwise I'm not sure that I would spend the money again- you can get a Birth certificate copy for about the same.
Regards ,Olly
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 22 September 04 09:55 BST (UK) »
I signed up and paid my money, but was very disappointed. I think their system is a bit 'hit and miss'. I have made no connections at all. But maybe it is like alot of things, given time and the growing interest in genealogy, the site will improve.
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk