Author Topic: GenesReunited  (Read 54603 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GenesReunited
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 September 04 16:23 BST (UK) »
I think a site is only as good as its members!

I have 'met' some nice people on this site, on genesconnected/reunited, on Colin's tracingyourfamilyhistory.com, rootsweb mailing lists, 1914-1918.net ... etc!

On GC / now called GR, a nice person has put together a list of useful websites, and it does include this one. Someone called Kelly has advertised her own site on GC / GR which I think is totally unethical. Advertise other people's yes - in fact I have advertised this one on GC - but to advertise your own ain't right! (I think).

Joy

Offline Rosalyn

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 September 04 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've been a member of GC since its inception, with no results at all!

It so annoys me when ppl do not reply to queries, which must have occurred in 50% of the cases, but that is not the fault of GC.

However, 24 hours after joining RootsChat I have already had help in my research.  I rest my case!

I have already recommended this site to a friend.

Rosalyn :)
England: Atkin, Barker, Cohen, Flatau, Gardner, Harradine, Rodway, Tennant, Woolf.

Wales: Morgan, Morris, Phillips, Thomas, Wogan.

Ireland : Dennehy

Scotland: Gardner

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 September 04 17:49 BST (UK) »
I agree totally,

I'm also pretty fed up now they have changed everything. I have not been able to access the site for over 24 hours now, I can't contact somebody I need to as you can now only do this via the site.

Not good enough GC.

Rootschat and other sites will definately flourish, they are more user friendly and don't let a minority of people rule the boards.

Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 September 04 18:01 BST (UK) »
I have to say, in defending the silent ones on GC/GR, I didn't even know I had messages!  I put my tree on it when it first started and the site had been redeveloped and I visited occassionally but I never saw the message centre and there was no messages to me saying I had any contacts waiting. 

A couple of months ago I found the message centre and there were about 20 messages, the shame of it!  I have now replied to them - one was a year old   :-[

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 12 September 04 18:05 BST (UK) »
What a shame you hadn't seen them before, Pam!

Joy

Offline Steve Ley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 12 September 04 18:06 BST (UK) »
Only the first contact is through them after that you can e-mail as you would normally.
That change was bought in because people complained that they were not recieving e-mails.
Talking of success i made contact on my first day which i very surprised to do so, and have made several since then but none on my side of the tree which is a little bit annoying  :(

Steve.
Census images Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

<br /><br /> Researching LEY, MEATS, LEVER (Nottingham)<br /> KERRIAGE/KERRIDGE/CARRIAGE (Norfolk, Cambridge,Lincoln)<br /> WISEMAN (Cambridge)<br /> UNWIN (Staffordshire,Derbyshire)<br /> FRANCES/FRANCIS (Norfolk)<br /> And BELL, McKENZIE and GRAY in Scotland.

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 12 September 04 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I had a similar experience to Pam

Until that fantastic message came through last week - I had not heard anything.
Imagine my surprise to go into the message box and find 30+ messages posted in the last 12 months.
I apologised to them all (luckily non were related - just general enquiries) and I explained to them about rootschat.

Since then 3 of those have replied and said they would definitely log on to this message board.

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline geniedi

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 12 September 04 18:32 BST (UK) »
Thats been the problem many times, you are supposed to receive a notification that somebody has contacted you. These weren't getting through.

Now you get a message somebody has contacted you but you can only access them via the site. You have to physically write your e mail on the reply to get a personal message going as in the terms and conditions it specifies e mail addresses can't be given out over the system.

Diane
Stevenson,Seabrook,Gravestock,Lee - Cambs. Geden and varients -  Warks. Oxf. Green- Beds and London. Foster, Little - Essex. Sheldrick - Surrey and London? Smith - Bucks. Coulling - Oxf.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 17 September 04 09:09 BST (UK) »
I only paid my subscription to GC after I had found 3 or 4 names which tied up with "my" names, dates and places. I have succeeded in making contact with 5 "new" cousins, one of whom we recently visited when we were on holiday in the UK. So it does have its positive side.

On the other hand, what I cannot get my head around, is people who have posted their trees, and then do not bother to follow up contacts. In the last 4 weeks or so I have contacted several people with possible connections. Most of them turn out to be blind alleys, but that is to be expected with names like Williams and Jones in Wales.
However, 2 have responded positively, i.e. that there would appear to be a connection, but its left at that. No attempt at confirming the link at all. No further response to messages.

Why do they bother in the first place?
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II