Author Topic: Drayton? in Middlesex?  (Read 12866 times)

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Drayton? in Middlesex?
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 28 January 18 17:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a Sarah Elizabeth Hill born in Islington with the mother's name of "Hill" but not one born with "Webb". I am also wondering if Sarah may actually be the child of one of Daniel and Charlotte's earlier children being raised just as they later raise Caroline's child Thomas.

Sarah's age on the 1861 Census would put her being born in 1837. There was a female "Hill" (no first name) born in Chelsea in  the last quarter of 1837. Mother's name Everett.

I can throw out my "Elizabeth" born in 1839 with the mother's maiden name of "Webb" as evidence is pointing to the father being Henry Hill who married Hannah Webb in Uxbridge in 1838.
Hastings: Essex, Middlesex, Bucks and Berks. Canada too
Bullen: Essex, Canada, Australia

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 28 January 18 22:57 GMT (UK) »
My thinking is that the first four on your list - Harriett, Frederick, Louisa, and Charlotte all  belong to Daniel and Charlotte Louisa and they were all baptized in Hammersmith.

Henry, John, and Daniel were all baptized on Feb. 2, 1821 in Chelsea according to Family Search as if the family had joined the church in Chelsea just recently. They are followed by Eliza in 1828, Caroline Hannah in 1830, Elizabeth in 1832 (died 1834), Jane Elizabeth in 1834. These are most likely all siblings wouldn't you say?

There is also another Elizabeth born in 1839 in Uxbridge with "Webb" as the mother. I do not have a christening date or place for her. Do you?

"My thinking is that the first four on your list - Harriett, Frederick, Louisa, and Charlotte all  belong to Daniel and Charlotte Louisa and they were all baptized in Hammersmith."

I agree that the first three children where the father Daniel is a "Taylor" are children of Daniel Hill and his wife Charlotte Louisa Russell.

As for the fourth child Charlotte born 1824, she was baptised at Hayes, Hillingdon Middlesex so being baptised at Hillingdon and her father Daniel is a Labourer, I suggest she is more Likely to be the daughter of Daniel Hill and his wife Charlotte Webb.  Also bear in mind that Daniel Hill and  Charlotte Webb married at St John the Baptist Hillingdon Middlesex.

The remainder of the children on my list I attribute to Daniel Hill and Charlotte Webb although I'm a little uneasy at the moment with Ellen (bap 1834 in Northolt) being their child.

The Uxbridge Elizabeth hasn't figured in my thoughts as a member of either Daniel Hill family because, off the top of my head, whilst browsing the PRs on Ancestry I noted her with a father's name other than Daniel.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 28 January 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
OK, I am confused as all heck now ;D

What throws me off is that there is Daniel Hill age 50, Harriett Hill age 45, then Charlotte Hill age 15, followed by a bunch of Hill kids the same name and ages as ones I presumed to be correct as Caroline's siblings.

I've seen that 1841 Census, the ages are right to be Daniel Hill and Charlotte Webb but the Wife's name, Harriott, is wrong.  I'm inclined to think the wife's name was misheard by the enumerator who thought he heard Harriott.

The children' ages are not accurate but that is par for the game with the 1841 Census, in the 1841 Census ages were rounded, off hand I forget whether rounded up or down.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 28 January 18 23:26 GMT (UK) »
"Charlotte born 1824, she was baptised at Hayes, Hillingdon Middlesex so being baptised at Hillingdon and her father Daniel is a Labourer, I suggest she is more Likely to be the daughter of Daniel Hill and his wife Charlotte Webb.

What bothers me about that idea is that being born in 1824 you would think she would have been baptized in Chelsea along with Henry, John, and Daniel who were all born earlier and baptized together in Chelsea. She sticks out like a sore thumb for not being baptized in Chelsea.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 29 January 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Ok. I underestand what you are saying now and agree. The name "Harriett" was a misheard or poorly transcribed "Charlotte". The Charlotte born in Hillingdon would indeed be their daughter :)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 02:19 GMT (UK) »
With the 1851 & !861 Censuses and the Drake Family Tree on Ancestry in mind I had a rummage around in Ancestry PRs for the birth or baptism for Charlotte Webb.

The Censuses and the Drake tree would see Charlotte baptised in 1796.
1851 Charlotte born in London.
1861 Charlotte born in Hillingdon Middlesex.
Drake Family tree, Charlotte born 14 May 1796 and baptised 3 Jul 1706 at St Pancras Old Church, Camden, the daughter of James and Sarah Webb.

The Drake tree is correct in everything when compared to the PR entry except the mother's name is Ann.

There is a Charlotte born 2 Aug 1795 and baptised 23 Aug 1795 at St Mary Magdalene, Old fish Street, City of London, the daughter of James and Sarah Webb.  Not a bad match for the 1851 Census I suppose.

Also there is Charlotte baptised 14 Mar 1794 (born 25 days before) at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney, Tower Hamlets, Middlesex, the daughter of James and Ann.

Although the 1861 Census gives Charlotte's birth place as Hillingdon, she was consistent in both Censuses as being born about 1796, the City of London Charlotte is closest to the year 1796.

I would be very grateful for the opinions of others on the matter.

Offline DougTCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 03:29 GMT (UK) »
It looks like back in the 1790's births were not recorded as being in Hillingdon.

So often people's ages /  birthdates vary between census years. 3 to 5 years is not unusual. I would think that when it is consistent it adds great credibility. 1796 would have a high probability of being correct  in my opinion.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 23:05 GMT (UK) »
So often people's ages /  birthdates vary between census years. 3 to 5 years is not unusual. I would think that when it is consistent it adds great credibility. 1796 would have a high probability of being correct  in my opinion.

My thoughts also Doug.

Anyone else care to comment?

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 30 January 18 23:17 GMT (UK) »
I must admit I have only read over this new info quickly but just want to ask a couple of questions;

Do the 2 Daniels have different occp's?
When your direct Ancestor, child of Daniel Hill married if after Sept 1837, what was their Fathers occp?

Apologies Trish, going over some of the posts on this topic I realise that I didn't fully answer your question.

Unfortunately the marriage entry for Daniel Hill to Charlotte Louisa Russell did not mention Daniel's father, it didn't give Daniel's occupation nor that of his father in law James Russell 

It did mention that Daniel was a bachelor of Wandsworth in the County of Surrey and that Charlotte was a spinster and "a minor of this parish" and that she married with the consent of her father James Russell.  They married at St George, Hanover Square by licence, Westminster, Charlotte was baptised at St James. Westminster.