Author Topic: Lady Ann of Clontarf?  (Read 76635 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Ann of Clontarf?
« Reply #306 on: Saturday 03 February 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
 :-\ As always, why is it we can find so much on so much, but not enough on a few key vital facts that we so need  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:30 GMT (UK) »
I'd forgotten that there is a record of a letter dated 1818 in The Irish National Archives in which John Sutherland of Ballinasloe writes to Dublin seeking employment for his two sons in their sixteenth and sevnteenth years.I don't know whether Richard was one of them,but suggests an earlier,or different marriage for him.

Regards
Roger

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: Saturday 03 February 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »

Findmypast show entries/images for John Sutherland 1847 in Galway. One in Wills & Probate and the other in church burials. Without looking at these, impossible to say whether they will have any info of substance.

Monica

PS: We have spent years with more questions than answers  ::)

Is there a Reference No. for it?

It might be online.

Like the sample Marriage Agreement in Wills and Deeds I posted (which is online)...there may be other Marriage Agreements! Has anyone looked??

Has anybody checked these Deeds which are online??

Also the 1768 Will snippet I posted, has anyone looked to see who the Beneficiaries were??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: Saturday 03 February 18 23:13 GMT (UK) »
More examples

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSND-P9RW-2?i=107&cat=185720

I'm looking at a Surname closeby so just flicked a few pages don't have time to study them

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: Sunday 04 February 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
There were no references unfortunately on those two 1847 entries, Hallmark. They simply shows on the main Findmypast results index.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: Sunday 04 February 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »

Anne-Marie      1809
Eleanor            1812
Jesse               1824 (According to Joe,Jessie should be born circa 1828)
David               1827
Jane                 1829(sometimes rendered as Jessie in Scotland?)

From this list of some of the children, looks like the Jane above is mentioned here www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=692607584120494&id=685566558157930 So, she is certainly not Jessie.

Curious about this ref there:

It all starts with Melanie’s great-great-grandmother Jane who, according to several censuses, lived in England but with birthplace Ballinasloe, Ireland....

Jane’s father was said to be John Sutherland, Captain of the Galway Militia...

The other key fact that had me completely convinced of Jane’s link to this aristocratic family was that in old age, perhaps when her mind was becoming addled, she declared on a census that she was born in Caithness. Now, if you look at any website concerning the lords of Duffus, Caithness is peppered all over the pages. Jane, the Irish girl now dying in England, clearly had some association with this place.

If this is Jessie's family, could this be a clue to her birth place in Scotland?

Monica

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:02 GMT (UK) »

Anne-Marie      1809
Eleanor            1812
Jesse               1824 (According to Joe,Jessie should be born circa 1828)
David               1827
Jane                 1829(sometimes rendered as Jessie in Scotland?)

From this list of some of the children, looks like the Jane above is mentioned here www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=692607584120494&id=685566558157930 So, she is certainly not Jessie.

Curious about this ref there:

It all starts with Melanie’s great-great-grandmother Jane who, according to several censuses, lived in England but with birthplace Ballinasloe, Ireland....

Jane’s father was said to be John Sutherland, Captain of the Galway Militia...

The other key fact that had me completely convinced of Jane’s link to this aristocratic family was that in old age, perhaps when her mind was becoming addled, she declared on a census that she was born in Caithness. Now, if you look at any website concerning the lords of Duffus, Caithness is peppered all over the pages. Jane, the Irish girl now dying in England, clearly had some association with this place.

If this is Jessie's family, could this be a clue to her birth place in Scotland?

Monica

Wouldn't pay too much attention to all that waffle!!

"astonished to find birth details on a certain Irish website for Jane Sutherland in this village (population around 2500) in exactly the right year. Jane’s father was said to be John Sutherland, Captain of the Galway Militia. So I went off googling various things around those details, and came across a forum that described how John was one of the ten illegitimate children cited in the will of the 5th Lord Duffus of Scotland, ...."

Why not say where record was found??

Why not name the Forum??

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:19 GMT (UK) »
THE CONNAUGHT JOURNAL  Galway, Thursday, February 5, 1824

MARRIED

At the Collegiate Church of St. Nicholas, Mr. M. Geoghegan of this Town to Miss Sutherland, daughter of Adjutant Sutherland, of the Galway Militia.

Added to previous post....  MARRIED. fn St. Mary’s church, Dublin, Thomas Call an. Esq. Balllnasloe, to Sarah Louisa, daughter of Captain J. Sutherland, Mount Catherine, county Galway, Adjutant ot the Galway Militia18 February 1837 Limerick Chronicle

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: Monday 05 February 18 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I'd forgotten that there is a record of a letter dated 1818 in The Irish National Archives in which John Sutherland of Ballinasloe writes to Dublin seeking employment for his two sons in their sixteenth and sevnteenth years.I don't know whether Richard was one of them,but suggests an earlier,or different marriage for him.

Regards
Roger

...and the Reference for this is????

NAI REFERENCE:    

CSO/RP/1818/581
TITLE:    

John Sutherland, Ballinasloe, County Galway: seeking employment for his two sons
SCOPE & CONTENT:    

Letter from John Sutherland, Ballinasloe, County Galway, to William H Gregory, Under Secretary of Ireland, Dublin Castle, requesting situations of employment for his two sons. Relates that the boys, one in his sixteenth, the other in his seventeenth year, are ‘both good English scholars’.
EXTENT:    

1 item; 3pp  £ pages....has anyone got a copy of it??
DATE(S):    16 Jan 1818
DATE EARLY:    1818
DATE LATE:    1818
ORIGINAL REFERENCE:    CSORP1818/S9