Author Topic: PRESNELL of Tasmania - origins?  (Read 15040 times)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PRESNELL of Tasmania - origins?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 July 13 02:54 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a record of William PRESNELL's age when he was transported?  Is it recorded on his trial or transportation records, musters or any other documents?  I can't see it on any that I have access to, apart from his burial.

Debra  :)

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 July 13 07:01 BST (UK) »
I don't think there was any age mentioned on his records, the closest I have is from his death in 1839 which gave his age as being 74 yrs.  So assuming this is about right, William was probably about 31 when transported. 

Webby
Wing, Isted,Lashmore, - Horsted Keynes
Green, Goldsmith,Mockford,Blackmar,Geer - Falmer & Brighton
Wing, Hack, Gray, Haywood Brighton
White, Vass, Tolhurst, Thatcher Sussex
Attree, Patching, Earle - Barcombe Sussex
Davies, Owen, - Llangrannog, Cardiganshire, Wales
Thomas, Burn - Gwennap,Cornwall
Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re. Presnells tasmania
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the extra information on the black snake inn webby. We have that in common :) i am hoping to visit that area of tasmania next year :) cheers, julie.
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Offline dulcie13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 April 15 01:20 BST (UK) »
I have read through all the material on the Presnells of Tasmania. My 3xgreat grandfather Joseph Blundell was transported in 1826 and his mother was Elizabeth Presnall/Presnell the daughter of Thomas Presnell and Sarah ? She was born in 1771 in Maidstone Kent and married in 1797 to Joseph Blundell and died in 1845.
If my Elizabeth is the sister of William Presnell (who I believe was also born in Kent) and was transported on the "Barwell" (which I am led to believe is correct) that would mean when my gr.gr.gr.grandfather was transported his uncle was already in the colony and later his grandparents also migrated.
Getting slightly confused so can anyone enlighten me on this subject.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 April 15 01:53 BST (UK) »
William Presnell (who I believe was also born in Kent) and was transported on the "Barwell" (which I am led to believe is correct)

Hi dulcie13,

Why do you think William was born in Kent, have you seen that somewhere?

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 07:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, this family is certainly interesting - and very large!. 

William's origins are still relatively unknown excepting that his mother was Sarah (bc: 1737)and arrived from England with some family members on the "Regalia" in 1823. Of course there were also other family members who had arrived 'free' as well. Have no idea how many were left in England.

William had quite a few brothers & sisters!.  To make matters more confusing, the Presnell brothers usually named their children after their siblings as well!.

William was certainly transported on the "Barwell" to NSW then to Norfolk Island then on the "City of Edinburgh" to Hobart in 1808.

I don't have a sister Elizabeth on my data for him - but who knows with this family,  would be great to find the marriage of the Leyton Essex -Thomas & Sarah Presnell, to get an idea of the time frame as William was born c 1765/66 and your Elizabeth in 1771. 

The problem I have with this, is that, although there was a William born to Thomas & Sarah in Leyton in 1776 - so that date probably means that this was not 'my' William - he would have been too young.

George Presnell was baptised in March 1772 in Leyton....looks to be the first of the Leyton Presnell's documented to a Thomas & Sarah Presnell. 

After reading through the thread I had a look for James Presnell & Sarah Presnell nee Tooth in Piddinghoe Sussex. They both died in 1817 in Piddinghoe - James in March  aged 79 yrs and Sarah in July aged 73 years.  So that probably puts to rest the 'Sarah Tooth' saga, as Sarah Presnell was alive and kicking in 1817 and didn't die in Hobart until 1823.

Did Elizabeth Presnell/Blundell & Joseph marry in England? Did Elizabeth come to Australia/Tasmania as well? 

Would like to know a little more about these Presnell/Blundell's.

Cheers

Webby :)

Rice - Portland,Dorset

Offline dulcie13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 April 15 05:40 BST (UK) »
Hello

I was given this information by another Presnell researcher the family as I have it is children of Thomas and Sarah who died in Tasmania:  William born Chelmsford Kent 1765 died Tas 1839, Sarah b 1767, Mary b 1769, Elizabeth (my ancestor) b 1771,Thomas b 1773 in Sussex, Jenny b 1774, James b 1778 in Essex died in Tasmania 1844, Phillis b 1778, Anne b 1780 in Essex,  Sarah born 1782 in Essex, Joseph b 1784 in Essex died West Hampshire UK 1793, John b 1786 Essex died Tasmania 1831 and Lucy b 1789.

If these are all Thomas and Sarah's children she had the last child aged 47/48 not uncommon. How far Essex is from Sussex and Kent I do not know but they often travelled around from village to village.

Joseph Blundell comes from a long line going back to 1540 at this stage and he and Elizabeth were married in Parish Church Kent on 7.11.1797 and both died in Maidstone. They had six children between 1798 and 1814 all born in Kent. Their son Joseph Jnr. was transported in 1826 for life and was already married so co-habited here in the colony and had eleven children.

So that is why I am intrigued by the posting and information given to me that just  maybe Joseph Jnrs uncle and grandparents were already here in Tasmania when he arrived on the "Marquis of Huntley"

Maybe if I keep digging this might be solved.    Regards, Dulcie

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 April 15 07:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulcie,

...children of Thomas and Sarah who died in Tasmania:  William born Chelmsford Kent 1765 died Tas 1839, Sarah b 1767, Mary b 1769, Elizabeth (my ancestor) b 1771,Thomas b 1773 in Sussex, Jenny b 1774, James b 1778 in Essex died in Tasmania 1844, Phillis b 1778, Anne b 1780 in Essex,  Sarah born 1782 in Essex, Joseph b 1784 in Essex died West Hampshire UK 1793, John b 1786 Essex died Tasmania 1831 and Lucy b 1789.

Can you ask the other researcher to give you dates and places of baptism for those children that you have listed?

Offline Webby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 April 15 08:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Dulcie, it looks as though the "Thomas & Sarah Presnell's" may be two quite different families and the children have been added together?. 

Firstly, William bc 1765 is the ancestor I haven't been able to positively identify with any Presnell family. The only thing we know for certain is that his mother's name was Sarah!.

The Piddinghoe Sussex Presnells are as follows - these children born to James (not Thomas) Presnell & Sarah Tooth.

All this family are from Piddinghoe, Sussex and most seemed to have stayed in Piddinghoe.  I think we have discounted this Sarah Presnell/Tooth as not being our William's mother Sarah.  But I do keep records on most of the Presnell's that I have come across whilst researching and I have the following people.

The children born to this couple are:

1. Sarah - bapt 8/3/1767 in Piddinghoe
2. Mary  - 17/5/1769
3. Thomas - 10/5/1772 and buried 16/6/1772
4, Jenny   -  17/4/1774
5,  Elizabeth - 11/8/1776 and buried 10/12/1776
6,  Phillis  - 12/1/1778  and buried 1/2/1779
7.  James  -   11/6/1780 and buried 7/2/1803
8.  Thomas Hugh -  27/10/1782, married (1)  17/4/1801 in Bishopstone, Sussex to Sarah Gorringe and (2) in 1808 in Rodmell, to Charlotte Harris. He died 1/3/1825  in Piddinghoe.

The parents James & Sarah married in Piddinghoe in 1765 and as from my previous post they also died there within months of one another. 

Looks as though there are a couple of families that have been 'put' together.

The other Presnell's I have are the Leyton Essex Presnell's  - these kids born to Thomas Presnell & Sarah (unknown). These are the couple I don't have a marriage date for.

1.  George   - 22/3/1772 in Leyton, Essex
2.  Thomas - 23/1/1774,
3.  William - 9/6/1776
4.  James  - 7/6/1778
5.  Ann - 14/5/1780
6. Sarah - 31/3/1782
7.  Joseph - 20/6/1784
8.  Richard - c 1785 and died Jan 1786
9. John - 25/2/1787
10. Lucy - 24/5/1789
11. Jane - 22/3/1795 and buried 7/2/1796.

So as you can see, two quite different families.  Unfortunately, neither my William or your Elizabeth appear in either (drat!).  At least you can see that these two families are quite separate. 

Cheers

Webby ;D
Rice - Portland,Dorset