Author Topic: stanley marshall lived in Goole about 1918  (Read 6957 times)

Offline trumpet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
stanley marshall lived in Goole about 1918
« on: Tuesday 15 January 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am trying to find out about a Stanley Marshall who was born in North Shields in 1898 but lived most of his life in Goole from about 1918. Do not know the name of his wife have been told he had thirteen children all born around the Goole area.

Regards Trumpet.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: stanley marshall lived in Goole about 1918
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome

Did he marry in Goole as there are no marriages for his name in the Goole Registration district until 1941

Freebmd has some entries in Yorkshire but you need some more info to determine the right bride.  If you know the name of at least one of his children - you can look the birth up on freebmd to get the mothers maiden name.  That info will find you the right marriage - also using freebmd

www.freebmd.org.uk 

This is his death registration

Stanley Marshall born 22 Sept 1897 died aged 81 December qtr 1978  Goole Vol 7 Pge 0310
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi trumpet
I do lookups at Goole library, if he married within the local area they may well have his marriage on fische. Also they have baptism's too. I may also be able to locate his burial place in the cemetery, they have Memorial Inscription records too.

If you send me as much info as you know of, his occupation, names of any children, if not in Goole itself then which of the villages, did Stanley have any brothers/sisters etc., there could be more than one Stanley Marshall and without a wife's name could be difficult, but I will go to the library and look for you.

There are still Marshall living in Goole too, who may well be related to your Marshall.

Regards
bendywendy

HALL     REEPHAM, HACKFORD, GUESTWICK, NFK
HALL     YORK, HOLME ON SPALDING MOOR, E. YKS
HALL     BELBY, Nr HOWDEN, E. YKS
HOUFE   YORK, RICCALL, THIRSK, DURHAM, LANCASHIRE
FEATHERSTONE     KNEDLINGTON, GILBERDYKE, E. YKS
CLAYTON   PATRINGTON, KEYINGHAM, STADDLETHORPE, E. YKS
CAWOOD   RAWCLIFFE, STADDLETHORPE
WALKER     HADDELSEY, EASTRINGTON, SHIPTONTHORPE, E. YKS
BEAN         STILLINGFLEET, ULLESKELF, KIRKBY WHARFE, YKS
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline trumpet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 13:36 GMT (UK) »
hi bendywendy I am bit of novice at the computer but I will send what information as I can. Stanley Marshall died aged 81years December qtr 1978 in Goole vol 7 page 310. His mother was Margaret and father Robert Marshall of North Shields, Stanley was born in 1898 in north shields. His brothers were john robert,albert edward. henry brand.norman,william and a sister margaret laidler brand all of north shields. I am sure he had a daughter called Margaret she used to come and visit my auntie in the 70s 8os. The only memory I have of Stanley was he lived in Goole and had 13 children always told by my father.

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi trumpet
Just got in from being out all day, was at the library this morning, but wait... not for looking up, had to take the grandson to his music club for his mummy, geesh I was peeved that I could not go across the room to do the little deed for you, will be Friday at the earliest now  :(
I have had a look and the only M******t M is to a mother with maiden name Sugden, but I cannot find 13 of them likewise, maybe some were born outside of the Goole registration district or maybe he married more than once, so other mothers maiden names will be different.
Because of data protection issues we cannot put any names etc publicly on RC because they could still be living.
I love challenges and this could be one of them, simply because there is no marriage in Goole until 1941. I am hoping to find a memorial inscription, by 1989 it is hoped he was buried and therefore had a headstone and his wife and children named upon it and if there is I will go and photograph it for you.
I will be back in touch asap.
b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping to find a memorial inscription, by 1989 it is hoped he was buried and therefore had a headstone

He died in 1978
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole W
Blimey got all my 9 n 8's mixed up and missed the 7  ::)
I have got the correct date written down, too much time spent with the grandson.

b.
TAYLES     LINCS.

Offline trumpet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 January 13 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bendy Wendy Thanks for the reply and also Carol W who I did not get back to, computers are still new to me. I have some new information that was sent to me might confuse you more.
Stanley married a lady call Cowling had son John F 1918 Stanley 1922 Richard 1936 I think there were a few  Stanley Marshall in the area at the time.

Regards

Trumpet

Offline bendywendy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 January 13 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi trumpet
Now that maiden surname Cowling does come up on some births for Marshall children.
Cowling is also a well known name to parts of Rawcliffe nr Goole. Rawcliffe registration came under Goole, maybe that is where they may have lived. I know that Rawcliffe records are held at Goole library uptil a certain date, lets hope they go into the early 1900's.
Off to the library on Saturday, was going tomorrow, but I have to await a delivery, but if it arrives early enough I will trot to the library for you tomorrow.

Do you know if Stanley had another forename ???
I cannot find a marriage for a Stanley Marshall to a ?? Cowling, this could be possible that they didn't marry or that their names have not been transcribed correctly etc.. Will have a better look on sites later.
There are 3 births listed for children born to a Marshall father and Cowling mother Annie, John F & Stanley. Hopefully if they were baptised there will be records, just hope the fische covers these dates and gives us the mothers forename.

You are doing well with the comp, at least the messages are being posted and readable, if you get stuck just ask for help.

bendywendy

TAYLES     LINCS.