Author Topic: charles heaton  (Read 14096 times)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: charles heaton
« Reply #36 on: Friday 20 September 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Annie said (passed down) that her brother and sister had died before she was 21, which means that (Elizabeth) Mary would have died c. 1884.  But then she said that her father had died, as well ,before she was 21. 

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
Mary's letter to Ralph, presumably in Australia.

So Mary Allport (daughter of Sarah Hawkins Heaton's brother, cousin of Annie Heaton) wrote to Ralph -- making it before 1894.

Robert Jamison had escaped bankruptcy by having Mary Allport bail him out at Annie's request.
(So the debt-paying was before his death, not after as I had assumed.)
And ... he was living with Annie, who had three daughters at the time.

She refers to Annie's three pretty children: Florence and Dorothy in the 1891, and Eveline born shortly after.

I can't understand the letter fragment that appears before that one, though, from Mary Allport to someone. "Ralph was a bright funny fellow" (despite his bad heart and inability/unwillingness to work, per her letter on his death). So it has to be post 1894. She sends her kind regards to "your husband. I am offering to take care of a few things, when he was going to be sold up". So it is before Jamison's death, whenever his near-bankruptcy was, and before the letter to Ralph talking about bailing Jamison out. Which doesn't make sense.

Eveline's letter says that the birth certificate she finally got as an adult shows her born 10 October 1891, to the former Annie Hawkins and John Richard Heaton. She says that per her birth certificate, he was a journalist. Well, that makes him a perfect match for John R Taylor in Annie Heaton's household in 1891. I suspect that question is settled!

Annie's marriage certificate shows her as Annie Heaton, widow, with father Ralph Hawkins.

Eveline was Annie's third daughter. The birth certificate for the first daughter, Florence, in Deptford in 1888, shows Annie Heaton as the mother and no father.

After those daughters were born, Annie seems to have invented a consistent backstory for herself, as a woman married to and the widow of a Mr Heaton, who was formerly a Miss Hawkins. Her mother's surname was presumably the convenient one to use for the story. Since she was in fact called Annie Heaton all her life until her marriage to Mr Powell, she had to invent the other bits. Including John Richard Heaton.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:18 BST (UK) »
Which is why I find it very interesting that St Mary and St Michael is very near to Commercial Road which is where Annie lived! Did Mary live with her between 1881 and 1891?

Annie also gave Commercial Road as her place of birth, in the 1891 census.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:21 BST (UK) »
The 1912 postcard from Charles Heaton in Quebec to "dear aunt" (a photo postcard of him and son Hamilton, not sent through the mail as a postcard so no addressee's name on it) -- it seems sure that the aunt in question was Annie Heaton, by then Annie Powell?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:28 BST (UK) »
Now, just for curiosity -- Charles Andrew Miller?

Very few of them.

Births 1846, 1857, 1868, 1878, 1881 -- all in Bethnal Green!
And 1902 in Hackney.

One married Jun Q 1881 in Bethnal Green (Louisa Livesey or Emily Searle -- Louisa per 1891).
He might actually be a candidate for having a child with another woman right around that time.

The other marriage is 1868 in Shoreditch on page 344 ... with a missing bride.
But I think that was likely Mary Ann Chadwick, shown in the list for the quarter as on 3[14]4.
(page 314 has its proper complement of spouses)

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:38 BST (UK) »
I assumed that was a continuation of her letter to Annie 'He was a bright, funny fellow' and when she refers to' give my regards to your husband' she must mean John Brown Powell who Annie married in 1893, tying in with her father's death in 1894

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
So, that must mean that either Annie's sister or brother was the father of Charles.  I have trawled the records and can't find any reords of Elizabeth Mary Heaton or of Annie's brother Ralph

Offline xs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 21 September 13 00:59 BST (UK) »
I think it highly unlikely that Charles' father was Ralph (junior), unless Ralph died and Charles was placed in a children's home.  More probable that he was illegitimate.  What do you think?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 21 September 13 01:33 BST (UK) »
I'm still tending toward Elizabeth/Mary Heaton being Charles's mother. Oh, and what I neglected -- in 1871, she is definitely called Mary in the census.

(You need to go around the census records at Ancestry and correct all the mistranscriptions and surname variants, just in case anybody else every looks for them, so they will find you! And add postems to records at FreeBMD with an email address too.)

Brother Ralph was really too young -- born 1866. I mean, it's possible ...

My tummy is rumbling so I am knocking off for this Friday night now, will check in tomorrow!