Author Topic: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey  (Read 6919 times)

Offline Sheila Walker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey
« on: Monday 07 April 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hello, my name is Sheila W (nee Roxborough).  amy father James Roxborough youngest of 15 children born to Ellen Bradley.  Ellen a catholic was employed as a servant/domestic by my widowed grandfather William Roxborough on 1911 census had 2 children by him. Another child of Williams from his previous marriage to Elizabeth Roxborough nee McCahon (died 1906 aged 33 yrs) was Sarah Roxborough.  Sarah was Presbyterian like my grandfather. 

The 2 other children Ellen and Annie, born out of wedlock to Ellen and William were listed as Roman Catholic, surname Bradley. Almost every year they had another child surnamed Bradley until 1920 when they married and had  more, Ernest Roxborough Presbyterian and my father James Roxborough a Presbyterian, born 1923.  When he was born his father William was 81 years old, William was 50 years older than Ellen.  He was actually 33 years older than Elizabeth his 2nd wife who was born in 1873.  William died in 1926 at age 84, my father was only 3 yrs old, his mother Ellen died at age 49 in 1939.  They are both buried in Aghadowey Parish Church cemetery. 

After Annie and Ellen their first 2 daughters together were born they then had William who was born in 1910 and only died in 2005 aged 95 years.  He lived in the same place all his life where my father James was born also on Ardreagh Road, a long whitestone building also occupied by Doherty family for many years.  William and Ellens other children were Richard aka Dick, Matt who had a farm at the Island, Nelly, Ethel, Emily, Sadie, Ann, Jane, Lily and Evelyn.  I met them all except Sadie, Annie (not to be confused with Ann) young Ellen and their half sister Sarah who was only 18 months when mother Elizabeth died. William my GF apparently had a first wife he went to America with but she stayed there (not sure about any children or names), he returned to NI.  Apparently a Roxborough became a Rough Rider in Theodore Roosevelt campaign with Spanish/Cuba in late 19th century.  Who he belonged to not sure but would like to know. 

The Simpson sisters who lived not far from my Dad were very fond of him, we used to visit them when we went over the there, also the Jamiesons.  My Dad as a young lad worked at Aghadowey Creamery.  My Dad left Aghadowey when he was 18 years with his brother Ernest (aka Ernie who had a glass eye as Ellen their mother got kicked in the field by a horse or cow when pregnant with him and caused his eye to come out in utero).  Dick went to England, Ann, Lily, Ethel, Nelly, Emily.  Jane married Jim Riley and they had a mushroom farm in NI.  Most Aghadowey people would have known my Uncle Willy, died at 95, he would have been an icon in the community.  He never married like some of the other siblings. 

If anyone there can help me with anything at all I would be so grateful.  I live in Queensland Australia and returning to Aghadowey next year with my brother from the UK, we hope to put any missing pieces together with what we already have.  Matt had our 2 boy cousins, I remember them well and if it were at all possible to meet up with them one day that would be great.  I was last in Aghadowey in mid 60's and it is a place always in my heart.  If anyone can shed any light on our GD William born 1840 and the name of his first wife that would be good too.  Hoping to hear from someone real soon.  It was a great guy called Elwyn Soutter who put me onto this site, he has been a legend in helping me so far.  Thanks to anyone who can help with whatever information you may have.  Cheers, Sheila.         

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGH FAMILY OF AGHADOWEY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 April 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shiela,
I have a Jane Roxborough Aghadowey who married my Great Great Grandfather James Forgrave/Forgrive Aghadowey. I have this information from family.  I know my great grandfather was born 1866 but I am unable to find any marriage for James and Jane around this date.  Can only find one for 1854 which would leave 12 years before their 6 children were born. so cant prove if this is it. Can only guess she may have been born late 1840's.  My grandfather Samuel Forgrave was a foreman in Upperlands mill in the early 1900's.
Do you have any 'Janes' around this date.
Sandra

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Sandra,
          Your 1854 marriage in Coleraine Civil Registrars Office is probably correct.
The registration of births in Ireland did not start until 1864 so the couple probably had other children before this date.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 April 14 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kingskerswell, never thought of that !!  That means I may find others before 1866  :D.  Sandra

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 April 14 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi again Shiela, I have looked through notes again,  Jane's father was John Roxborough born about 1815.
I know this doesn't help you with William.
Sorry

Offline Sheila Walker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 14 02:52 BST (UK) »
A big hello to anyone out there connected to or interested in the Roxborough family.  If anyone connected to or interested in William ROXBOROUGH b 1810 d 1904 married to Mary TORRANCE had James, John, Jennie ? Jane, William my grandfather, Mary Ann, Richard, a daughter born 1852 and Samuel   

William my grandfather went to Allentown, Pennsylvania 1868/9 with wife number 1, Mary Ann KNIGHT who had Martha m William Kelly USA, Mary Ann m Albert Wentzel USA, child buried 6/8/1873, Anna (Annie) m Joseph Cramsey and Jane who married Torrens KNIGHT

William my grandfather returned to N Ireland approx 1893/4 married wife number 2 Elizabeth McCAUGHERN who had Rachel died 1901, Annie died 1904, sister Sarah 1904 (? twin of Annie probably although possible to have 2 children 9 months apart as it happened again with Ellen!)  raised by her mother's brother and sister near Rasharkin.  Mother Elizabeth died of birth complications 1906.

William my grandfather had several children with Ellen BRADLEY his housekeeper, starting with first in 1907.  I have all their names reconfirmed and slightly revised from my previous advertised information.  William and Ellen married in June 1920, had 2 more children including my Dad, James (Jim) Roxborough.  As a child I met nearly all of my uncles and aunties. William died 1924/5/6 can confirm which, my father born 1922 was 3 at time.  Ellen ROXBOROUGH died Feb 1939 aged 49 years from heart complications.

I now have all names of just about everybody including my great grandfathers other childrens childrens names and who they married.  I have all that came after William and Ellen so if anyone wants assistance to put their connections together I am happy to email you what I have as a download, I have gained a lot more information since first joined this site and been able to add to the information I received.  I am still expecting more to come from another source.  A big huge thankyou again to Elwyn for his initial help to make this all possible for me, I am elated, I know who I am now!!!  I even know about the Rough Rider cousin I have!!!! my email is (*)  Cheers, Sheila.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline dinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 14 July 14 22:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Sheila,

Do you have any knowledge of a James Woods and Nancy (nee Rosborough) who lived at Coolhill c. 1836,  or their son John who married a Mary Dempsey d.o. John Dempsey and Peggy (nee McArthur) of Cooliman?  The marriage of John and Mary Woods was at the Kilrea 1str Presbyterian Church c. 1836.   Thanks.  Regards - Dinny. 

Offline GarrettOSullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 November 19 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Sheila. I am researching my wife’s family who is a Forgrave from Aghadowey, Her maternal grandfather is Joseph Forgrave born 1885 to an Elizabeth Forgrave but we cannot find any info on an Elizabeth Forgrave alive in the 1800s and was wondering if you had found any Elizabeth Forgrave’s in your research. 

Regards

Garrett

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ROXBOROUGH family of Aghadowey
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 November 19 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Garrett  :)

Joseph Forgrave born 1885 Moneycarrie & died May 1937.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02628/1969720.pdf
Joseph was baptised 13 June 1886 at St. Guaire's Parish Church, Aghadowey.
In 1911 he was working as a farm labourer for Sam Perry-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Aghadowney/Ballywillin/651844/
Ten years earlier he's in uncle James Forgrave's household- note James' mother Jane also in household-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dunminning/Killycowan/940157/
James Forgrave, son of James, married (1898 Aghadowey Presbyterian Church) Elizabeth Stewart of Keely. Note that the two witnesses were Blakes (Joseph's aunt Rebecca Weir Forgrave later married John Blake).
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1898/10433/5798760.pdf

Joseph's mother, Elizabeth Forgrave, was a servant at Ballygawley at one time. She was the daughter of James Forgrave & Jane Roxborough (married 1854 & had large family).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!