Author Topic: BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll  (Read 18326 times)

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BBC 1 WDYTYA: Series 11, Episode 4, Brendan O'Carroll
« Reply #45 on: Friday 29 August 14 23:58 BST (UK) »
It's a long time since I heard "Stairheedrammy".  Keep the old expressions alive.

I do agree that in most conflicts use dirty tricks and brutality and that they see it as being part and parcel of their fight and boy are we seeing that today, except that a lot is not hidden.  All dreadfully sad.

Plum vodka made in readiness for Christmas and New Year.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 30 August 14 09:39 BST (UK) »
I know this episode has been controversial due to the political nature of it - but I think sometimes we do need to be reminded of uncomfortable episodes in our history.

The point that quite a few people have made is that the producers of WDYTYA only seem interested in Irish history, when there is a lot of other history out there about England, Scotland and Wales, as well as overseas history - although we've had that with Colin Jackson and a newsreader whose name I can't remember at the moment.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 30 August 14 10:00 BST (UK) »
I know this episode has been controversial due to the political nature of it - but I think sometimes we do need to be reminded of uncomfortable episodes in our history.

The point that quite a few people have made is that the producers of WDYTYA only seem interested in Irish history, when there is a lot of other history out there about England, Scotland and Wales, as well as overseas history - although we've had that with Colin Jackson and a newsreader whose name I can't remember at the moment.

I tried to recall how many Irish history I.e. With a political slant - Dervla Kerwan; Julie Walters and this  latest one comes to mind.
There have been several subjects with Jewish heritage and as you say overseas.
What about Jeremy Clarkson,Jane Horrocks, Robert Lindsay, Lesley Garrett for example. I'm not entirely sure but I think these were British and some working class or industrial areas.
Irish political history often seems to be controversial on these boards.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 30 August 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
Just found a list of subjects here
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 30 August 14 10:08 BST (UK) »
Many of us have a mystery in our family lines that we would like clearing up and I believe Brendon took this opportunity to find some answers to who shot is Grandfather and why...I don't blame him for that and he now has a clearer picture of the circumstances surrounding the events.
It just didn't hold my interest but I'm sure there are a lot of people who learnt something from the programme.
You can't please everyone.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 30 August 14 10:25 BST (UK) »
Treetotal - I think the point is that he could have found out any of that information just by looking on line.  It wasn't a random murder that he was trying to solve, his family were well known in the IRA at the time.  I just don't think it was WDYTYA material, a one off programme maybe or as the BBC like Irish history they could have done a series on that including Brendan O'Carroll.

Next week Sheridan Smith.  The write up says it will be a happier show, if only because Sheridan Smith is such a happy personality  ::)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 30 August 14 10:28 BST (UK) »
Many of us have a mystery in our family lines that we would like clearing up and I believe Brendon took this opportunity to find some answers to who shot is Grandfather and why...I don't blame him for that and he now has a clearer picture of the circumstances surrounding the events.
It just didn't hold my interest but I'm sure there are a lot of people who learnt something from the programme.
You can't please everyone.
Carol
He was on the Late Late Show a few hours after the filming for WDYTYA finished so spoke a little about it, I could be wrong, it was a while ago, but I think he kept saying 'they' as in it wasn't his idea to focus on that particular man, obviously he couldn't say much at the time.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 30 August 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
The Jane Horrocks episode is one I'd really like to watch again; can't find it online anywhere.

Most looking forward to the upcoming Billy Connolly and Reggie Yates episodes... tbh I've little idea who the other people are.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 30 August 14 11:41 BST (UK) »
Next week Sheridan Smith.  The write up says it will be a happier show, if only because Sheridan Smith is such a happy personality  ::)

..but not sure why they need to put details of the whole episode in the papers beforehand:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/sheridan-smith-left-distraught-broody-4111726
(Don't read unless you want to know who she finds)

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk