Author Topic: Hughes  (Read 10494 times)

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hughes
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 10:42 BST (UK) »
Ha ha...you sure you want to confuse the English for the Irish along with all the other anomalies we have with this family.  ;D
Rosie has some knowledge about the death of John Hughes in 1866...which district was that death in?  Partick aged 56 or Calton aged 55? Did it name John's parents?
The tree I spoke of only has Margt on it (daug of John and Margt Hughes) which leads me to believe that the same details are on her marriage cert to Hugh Tucker as was on James' marriage cert so at least that shows some consistency at last!
Who knows, we might get to the bottom of this yet.  ::)

Offline kizzy1259

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 11:05 BST (UK) »
This is the possible death I have for John Hughes. Unfortunately nothing to verify it

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizzy,
Perhaps Rosie will be able to give us some more info on the 1866 death...maybe there was an informant on that one that we recognise.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 12:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Kizzy,
Perhaps Rosie will be able to give us some more info on the 1866 death...maybe there was an informant on that one that we recognise.
The information came from online tree 1866 Partick Glasgow father John Hughes mother Margaret McDonald
Kissy did notice the address for both families on the 1871 census at 301 Dalmarnock Road ..

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie...I have trouble with all the different districts of Glasgow.  :)
I just thought the informant of the 1869 cert for John Hughes was unusual having an informant being the 'keeper of museum'.  John Hughes we are researching has family and I would have thought it more likely that one of them would have been the informant.  Do we know who the informant is on that cert?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rosie...I have trouble with all the different districts of Glasgow.  :)
I just thought the informant of the 1869 cert for John Hughes was unusual having an informant being the 'keeper of museum'.  John Hughes we are researching has family and I would have thought it more likely that one of them would have been the informant.  Do we know who the informant is on that cert?
The only thing I thought was maybe he had been in the poor house as a death on the same page was signed by the same person

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:32 BST (UK) »
I suppose that's always a possibility.  :( 
I know the names are a bit strange on the 1866 cert but I tend to favour it given that James and Margaret Hughes (children of John and Margt) used the same names. 
Where to from here?  ???

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 13:47 BST (UK) »
We don't know for certain who their children were another possibility maybe John was dead before the marriage of Rosesann and was not recorded as being deceased ..Maybe the census Monica found in 1851 with the mother Margaret being a widow ...so many if's and but's  ???

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 30 June 15 14:04 BST (UK) »
Rosie, you found a marriage for James...do you know if his age on the marriage agrees with the 2 year old (b about 1849 Paisley) as per the family at School Wynd, Paisley in 1851?  And the Margt that I found on the tree today said to be born in 1851...is she on the 1861 census at 24 Douglas St Partick?  If we can just find something the two families have in common in consecutive censuses maybe we can draw some of the facts together that way.