Author Topic: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby  (Read 121451 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #189 on: Sunday 04 September 16 01:27 BST (UK) »
Had a flick through the Gosforth transcriptions at Newcastle Library this morning. No further Gibson records around the right time. There were a few baptisms and burials from other families resident at Halls Gate. John Anderson burial 1765. Robson and Reay baptisms 1784 and 1785.

The Elizabeth Gibson baptism at Newcastle All Saints, 5 Aug 1759, father Thomas Gibson - Brewer.
Probably the Malt Maker from the 1769 Thomas Gibson baptism.

Alan.

Hello All

Thank you for the replies and thank you Alan for looking at the Gosforth transcriptions in the Library.

Looking at the Selby Parish Register of 1793 and 1800, both Newcastle (1793) and Hall's Gates (1800) are mentioned.

Interested to note in the Richard Gibson, Cooper Descent, that Elizabeth Brown came from Bedlington and I noticed Gibsons at Bedlington in the online newspapers.

Gibson Brewery at Gateshead
1787 Newcastle Directory under Gateshead
Gibson & Bedlington's brewery, Pipewellgate, m
.[/i]

TNA Bankruptcy Registers and Muster Rolls
I want to go and see these Bankruptcy Registers / Indexes relating to the periods (1807 - 1810) of the Richard Gibson Bankruptcy, also the Muster Rolls in BT 98 for John Hood, first, I hope the Bankruptcy items may just mention George Hood, Nephew of Richard Gibson taking over.

George Hood Burial?
Regarding George Hood of Selby, who died Selby 18th September 1845 (burial place unknown) I've had a disappointing email reply (or no reply really) about the Westgate Hill General Cemetery, Registers that basically says, I am welcome to go and look at the Registers for myself.

TNA, Kew, National Register of Archives 37680, give references as:-
Tyne and Wear Archives
Burial Registers CE.WGH/1 and Dx446 Register of Share Transfers.

Alphabetical Index CE.WGH/1/1 Index 1829 to 1846.
Burial Registers CE.WGH/2/1 [covering 1845]
Purchased Vaults CE.WGH/3 1829 to 1923.

Years ago, when making a polite enquiry by letter a quick look was very helpful, we have the info and a copy will cost you £5 - £10 (or whatever) posted. However, now email is here they have too many requests.

If anyone visits Tyne and Wear Archives please and can look, to see if George Hood is buried at Westgate Hill General Cemetery, please take a note of the reference/page number please? I can order direct.

TNA, Kew
We can get to London Euston in only an hour, although two changes to get back out to TNA, Kew adds another 1 & 1/2 hours, but the Muster Rolls are there as well and John Hood the Mariner, ought to be listed, so we'll head there.

Thank you.

Kind regards, Mark

Pipewellgate

http://www.gateshead-history.com/pipewellgate-history.html

In 1782 a directory lists six public houses within the area: Cross Keys, Fountain, Fox, Queen’s Head, Ship, Smith’s Arms and Turk’s Head.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Gibson married 1792 Selby- 1800 trade directory a Cooper Wren lane Selby
« Reply #190 on: Sunday 04 September 16 07:03 BST (UK) »
Coincidence  ??? 1869 Ship inn South shore Gateshead - Mr F Brown (Bedlington ?)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F-UNAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR7&dq=ship+inn+south+shore+gateshead&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ship%20inn%20south%20shore%20gateshead&f=false

The Schooner (Pub)  (Pipewellgate) today was the Ship Hotel Gateshead south shore.

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Sunday 04 September 16 19:33 BST (UK) »
Edward Kelly, The Ship Inn, Gateshead.

Allsopp's Ales, in the window.

But this Ship Inn premises, apparently in the High Street?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Monday 05 September 16 11:03 BST (UK) »
Coincidence  ??? 1869 Ship inn South shore Gateshead - Mr F Brown (Bedlington ?)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=F-UNAAAAQAAJ&pg=PR7&dq=ship+inn+south+shore+gateshead&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ship%20inn%20south%20shore%20gateshead&f=false

The Schooner (Pub)  (Pipewellgate) today was the Ship Hotel Gateshead south shore.

Interesting, thank you. Here is a snippet, about the United Order of Free Gardeners and their "Brother Francis Brown" Ship Inn, South Shore, Gateshead, reported in February 1868.

I wonder if Richard Gibson, Cooper of Selby and John Hood who married Elizabeth Gibson, were Freemasons?

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Monday 05 September 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
Some of the Freemasonry Membership Registers are available via Ancestry.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Monday 05 September 16 11:29 BST (UK) »
When they say south shore ? - We don't really know if that a general term: meaning the whole of Gateshead across the river Tyne ! from view point from the position of the populous of the bigger Newcastle: or meaning the south shore port side and near streets  ???.

I'm not ruling out Chester le street and Wearside as the Hood main origins (ie: James Hood/Sarah Arundel)

Meaning John Hood b1756 a mariner meets Elizabeth Gibson while on a Tyne port visit to Newcastle/Gateshead by ship/boat.

Hood Mainers to Brewers/Coopers (Hood/Gibson Farmers or farmer workers down stream: George Hood South Shields mariner with  farm lands Burniston / William Hood Quaker farmer at death 1862 ?) ???

Tanner  ? Straw hats ?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
South Shore, Gateshead, was a street according to this late 19th Century Map.

High Street, Gateshead, was definitely a separate street to the South, so the old picture of The Ship Inn, named as High Street (image title) was another drinking/ hostelry establishment.

Looking at the current 'Schooner' Public House architecture (formerly the Ship), I suspect that the earlier 1780s pub called the Ship, South Shore, Gateshead was either rebuilt, or the 'Ship' name transferred to this building, later renamed the 'Schooner'.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x487e7095a2669877%3A0x322a8ac0705a3b8f!2m5!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Flh%2Fsredir%3Funame%3D107015230389045133190%26id%3D6116494589760753810%26target%3DPHOTO!5sschooner%20pub%20gateshead%20%22ship%20Inn%22%20-%20Google%20Search&imagekey=!1e2!2s9beZcr25VCEzIQ2FsyR-yw&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiK9Ii4__rOAhXIDsAKHXbkD9EQoioIazAK

South Shore, St Mary's Church Gateshead and All Saints Newcastle also depicted on the map.

A "Ballast Hill" is marked, but not the burial ground.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 16:40 BST (UK) »
There was the old Ballast Hill Dissenters Burial Ground, Newcastle, which is North of the River.

Path made out of grave headstones, are pictured here ...
http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/ballast-hills-burial-ground.html

A John Hood was buried there, which one I don't know, but listed here ...
A Descriptive and Historical Account of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne, Including the Borough of Gateshead ... by E. Mackenzie 1827 
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=1JvkAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA413&lpg=PA413&dq=Ballast+Hills+%22John+Hood%22&source=bl&ots=51NLEPLvW9&sig=kLHR5F18QkYh4icfti-w9UG_hFQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQpIa7ivvOAhUHXBQKHdtiBVEQ6AEIKDAC#v=onepage&q=Ballast%20Hills%20%22John%20Hood%22&f=false

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Tuesday 06 September 16 18:04 BST (UK) »
We only know of two John Hood's in Gateshead, George's dad and the publican which I believe is the same John Hood husband of Elizabeth Gibson, as picture seems to becoming together,

You've been doing some digging, good detective work, I'm bogged down with Mary Davison at the moment  :-\- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Keep up your search

That should be an interesting walk down the gravestone path but I hate seeing that !!!! as inscriptions get worn away if the path is used a lot. >:(

Dob's  ;)