Author Topic: Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?  (Read 9663 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Index to Irish Wills 1484-1858: Where to find the wills?
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 01:34 BST (UK) »
I’m looking at an entry in the Irish Will Register (IWR/1832/F/521) for Thomas Wilson of Coggery (aka Cogry):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNT-3RFS?i=190&cat=234657

I’m trying to make sense of the notes in the “Consanguinity” and “What deemed” columns.  In the latter there’s something that looks like “Abs” ad “Absurp”, also a word which looks like “Army”, but it has a mark above to show it is an abbreviation.

The consanguinity column is obviously critical to working out how these people were related to each other.  The first note looks like “thra NC” and then maybe “thra” again, or is it “Obra”?

Is there a way to search just the Inland Revenue Will registers on Family Search? I can see how to pull up the images, but not how to search them....
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 03:23 BST (UK) »
I’m looking at an entry in the Irish Will Register (IWR/1832/F/521) for Thomas Wilson of Coggery (aka Cogry):

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNT-3RFS?i=190&cat=234657

I’m trying to make sense of the notes in the “Consanguinity” and “What deemed” columns.  In the latter there’s something that looks like “Abs” ad “Absurp”, also a word which looks like “Army”, but it has a mark above to show it is an abbreviation.

The consanguinity column is obviously critical to working out how these people were related to each other.  The first note looks like “thra NC” and then maybe “thra” again, or is it “Obra”?

The word that looks like army is Ann[uit]y

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 08:41 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to search just the Inland Revenue Will registers on Family Search? I can see how to pull up the images, but not how to search them....

They are now completely free and indexed on findmypast (I guess you need to be registered)
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search-world-records/ireland-inland-revenue-wills-and-administrations-1828-1879

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:06 BST (UK) »
Yea, I use the index on FindMyPast too.  However, I had a hunt around Familysearch and found this set of microfilms which include the original index:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/670225?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:09 BST (UK) »

Aha, thanks.  So I guess if that's annuity, then the other comments in that column refer to a single payment ... perhaps "Abs[olute]" or something...?

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 10:43 BST (UK) »

Aha, thanks.  So I guess if that's annuity, then the other comments in that column refer to a single payment ... perhaps "Abs[olute]" or something...?

That would be my interpretation also. Those entries are for outright gifts.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 11:03 BST (UK) »
Ok.  What do you reckon about the consanguinity column?

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 11:40 BST (UK) »
Does anything here help? :-\
8.2 Abbreviations used to describe relationships (under ‘consanguinity’ in the register)

Death duties 1796-1903
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/death-duties-1796-1903/#8-other-abbreviations-used-in-the-registers

Online jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 11:45 BST (UK) »
Stra NC (Stranger, Natural Child)
Stra (Stranger)
 :-\