Author Topic: Shevlane Origins  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Shevlane Origins
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
On same page as the last record from 30th August, two up from the bottom shows a Kelly (Edmond?) having a son Michael Baptised, with wife Honour Daly. I'd be interested to see if anyone can read that name.

amac, can you please post a link to 'same page' or an image of the name "(Edmond?)" with enough background for letter comparison for any newcomers to the thread?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 19:44 BST (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634606#page/8/mode/1up - Rosinish that's the source, for Belmullet Church Baptisms. There are other sources too for marriages, all to be found here: https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0742. Hope this is of use to others.

Looking again at the names I think the Kelly individual might be "Bernard" or "Daniel". Daniel would make sense, since he is shown on 1834 Tithe records:

(http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587457/004587457_00639.pdf).

The name Daniel Kelly is very current in the family. I have a Daniel married to Mary Cosgrove in 1881 - record shows up under 1882. Also a Daniel born c.1832 and died 1915 in Wisconsin, married to Ellen Earley. Looking at dates, the Daniel on Tithe records could have been the father of the Daniel who died in Wisconsin. We also have Anthony Kelly (c.1838-1911) having his first child named Daniel Kelly (1870-1948), who died in Glasgow. I look however at Griffiths Valuation and only Kelly at Muingmore where Anthony lived is Terrence Kelly. So it might be that Terrence was brother to Daniel on Tithe records, making Daniel born in c.1832 Anthony's first cousin. The Daniel born c.1852 who married Mary Cosgrove in 1881 was son of Michael Kelly (shop-keeper) according to his marriage certificate. That might suggest Michael was brother of Daniel on Tithe record and of Terrence. Total speculation at the moment using naming patterns that may or may not have been in use. Sorry for this big digression into Kellys though!

I refer especially to an entry on 1st November 1841, as regards this Kelly. I can't make out the child's name but I do see parents as Michael Deane and Anne (?). Another witness was Catherine (?) whose surname is obscured.

Thanks for those Tithe records Heywood, never saw those before.

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 19:50 BST (UK) »
11th May 1842 - Neal Shevlane and Sally Lally show up as sponsors to Ina, daughter of Joseph (?)Tallat(?) and Ina Shevlane. I assume this might mean Ina was sibling of Neal, who died in 1900 and seems to have born c.1827. I fielded earlier that he might be a brother of Edward Shevlane, who in turn might be father of Michael Shevlane who married Anne Barrett.
This individual seems to be Joseph Barrett, shown here on Tithe record: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004587457/004587457_00637.pdf.
Not sure if he connects to the other Barretts, it is possible probably.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 19:59 BST (UK) »
I think that Joseph Barrett’s wife and daughter could be Sara.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 20:10 BST (UK) »
10th June 1842 - Entry with Barrett sponsor, not sure if it is "Bernard" or "Richard". It's for a child named Henry. Difficult handwriting to read.

29th May 1842 - same page, possible match for Joseph Barrett as sponsor. Again diffcult to read.

26th February 1843 - Richard Barrett is sponsor for a child of Michael Carey and Rose Barrett. Is Rose another sibling of Richard's? Or I wonder is he just a "go-to" for being a Sponsor? Perhaps not so directly connected? The location here is "Keels" or something like that.

5th May 1843 - Richard Barrett sponsor with Bridget Barrett for a child named Winifred Barrett, daughter of Thomas Barrett and Winifred Lally. This is in Shragh, a location more familiar. I wonder if there was more than one Richard also? Particularly as he appeared earlier with a woman named Mary and is now with woman named Bridget? I'm assuming he and his wife were joint Sponsors.

24th September 1843 - Anne (?)Mally(?), daughter of Edmond and Catherine Coyle. Sponsors Michael Kelly and Mary Coyle. Maybe same Michael who was shop-keeper and father to Daniel born c.1853?

I also forgot to mention the Neal Shevlane and Sally Lally connection for Joseph Barrett's child. Neal was married to Honour Barrett. Michael Shevlane (around same generation as Neal) was married to Anne Barrett. It might be possible that these are different Barrett families, but I suspect Honour is Joseph's sister. I suspect from the other records posted Anne is sister to Richard, Anthony, Rose = Michael Carey and Mary = Anthony Gibbon. This is ambitious but we might just guess that there were the following Barrett siblings:

Richard, Joseph, Anne = Michael Shevlane, Honour = Neal Shevlane, Mary, Rose and Anthony. It is also possible to throw in a Bridget Barrett who appears alongside Richard in one record above. Moreover, it is possible to guess that Neal and Michael were brothers, perhaps with father named Edward whose birth is given online as 1788-1790. Source for that unclear. This is entirely guesswork of course.

This is how far I've gone today, will reprise this in a couple of days time.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 20:57 BST (UK) »
I hope you don’t mind my saying this - do take care. Hopefully, you are a good organiser for these names and places.
If you look at names in general for the area, you can see how common certain names are. As you have pointed out, they may be related generations back and they may move from townland to townland but it might be all circumstantial too.
For example, my husband has Barrett in his family. Amongst his hundreds of DNA matches, there are several Barretts. Most do not have trees but looking at shared matches, there are only a few that connect to the family line.
His are from the Iniskea islands and Mullet peninsula.
On one page of marriages, 3 of the four are Barrett - all different families and townlands, including his grandparents.
Irish genealogy shows many Barrett records.
You have a difficult task. I don’t want you to make it more difficult for yourself  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 23:33 BST (UK) »
"On same page as the last record from 30th August, two up from the bottom shows a Kelly (Edmond?) having a son Michael Baptised, with wife Honour Daly. I'd be interested to see if anyone can read that name."

It could be either Edmond or Edward, difficult to say  :-\

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 15 October 19 23:53 BST (UK) »
This recently posted article may be of interest.
"Irish Naming Patterns and Baptism Traditions"
https://irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/irelandxo-insight-irish-naming-and-baptism-traditions

When considering female sponsors, keep in mind that their surnames may have been maiden names. There's a suggestion in the article that a priest might have mixed up mother's and godmother's maiden surnames as a result of "wetting the baby's head".
Cowban

Offline amac1210

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 16 October 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for those updates. I don't have time today to go into the registers again, but I intend to read those entire documents and continue recording all possible connections with locations too. Then perhaps, we can get somewhere! There do seem to have been a great deal of Barretts in Mayo - I wonder Heywood, if you can give more background information as to how they ended up in Mayo? From what clan origin did they come?

Online the pages about surnames can often be generic, un-factual, and lacking in detail. The Kelly family I only found out more about from an old history book written about Belmullet. The O'Kelly clan inhabited Co. Roscommon and Co. Galway since the early Middle Ages, fighting against the O'Donnells of Donegal in alliance with the Burkes of Mayo in the 1400s. I'll upload source later. Ultimately there exist (as Hallmark has pointed out on other thread) documents showing descent of O'Kelly chiefs from the Provincial Irish Kings and High Kings too.

Yet, I see nothing about Shevlanes. The information seems very sparse and I bet there is more to be learned. Did they originate in Mayo? If not, what century would a move have been likely? Scottish Highland and Island genealogy is much clearer on these issues, through recording of oral lore and family traditions. Many even name "progenitors" from, say, 1650 or 1700. That's the lines I'm thinking along. With the Barretts, perhaps their size indicates two or three progenitors going into those earlier centuries. DNA work en masse would be necessary here, to show who belonged to who.

Certainly Mayo and Belmullet of the Middle Ages seemed to be dominated mostly by Burke family - perhaps akin to MacDonalds in the Uists, or Campbells in Argyll - and their allies. The Burkes were the aristocracy before Queen Elizabeth I of England changed the landscape.

Further into the past, I notice lots of location names. In the Tithe records, the Parish of Belmullet is "Kilcommon". Does this mean "Church of St. Common"? Could this be St. Columba?