Author Topic: Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes
« on: Wednesday 23 October 19 16:58 BST (UK) »
I am tracing my maternal family tree. Somewhat new to this, I would like to offer my findings for each generation, hoping others can validate, answer some questions and steer me in the right direction. My intention is to go back through the generations, but also to understand each generation. I welcome your comments.

The starting generation, that contained my grandmother were called Ikin, living in Over, now part of Winsford, Cheshire. From the 1911 Census - Hooter Hall, Stock Hill, Over, their parents John and Jane had been married for 16 years, having 10 children, but only 6 survived; living to a good age and as a child I knew all of them. (RG14 . Piece/Folio: 551 . Schedule Type: 276 . Page: 1 . Affiliate Record Identifier: GBC/1911/RG14/21700/0551/1)

Marriage Jul-Aug-Sep 1894 . Northwich, Cheshire
John Ikin and Jane Oakes (The only possible Jane)
Northwich 8A . Page 423 . Line Number 246
(It makes sense, as I knew the Ikin and Oakes families were related through marriage, but unsure where.)

I found their marriage on Family Search with an image: 08 Aug 1894 at St. Chad’s church, Over, Cheshire, John Ikin (21) and Jane Oakes (22), both of the Parish, with her father's name: John Oakes. Witnesses: John Penkethman? and Ellen Oakes. (GS Film: 2105306 . Digital Folder: 004018996 . Image: 00580)

On the 1901 Census, their only child is Jane Ikin age 0.

All DOB information was found on the 1939 Register:
John Ikin (27 Aug 1873) and Jane Ikin/Oakes (31 Dec 1872)

Between their marriage in 1894 and the first recorded child in 1901, a gap of over six years, could account for the children who died. I looked at the baptism records for St. Chad’s church from 1893 to the end of that book in April 1910.
Jane Ikin . Baptised: 21 Jun 1904 (29 Sep 1901)
Maggie Ikin . Baptised: 21 Jun 1904 (11 May 1902) - Grandmother
Harry Ikin . Baptised: 20 Apr 1905 (24 March 1905)
Nellie Ikin . Baptised: 07 Nov 1906 . 6 Months
Martha Lydia Ikin . Baptised: 06 Aug 1908 (31 May 1908)
John Joseph Ikin (Jack) . (22 Nov 1910)
All children were baptised and I am sure John (Jack) was too, had the book continued. I found no other baptism, naming John and Jane Ikin, or Jane Oakes as a single woman.

Looking through the burials at St. Chad’s church from 1894 that finished in March 1917, I found:
- Ikin . Unbaptised Infant . 25 Jan 1897 . 5 Minutes . Stock Hill
Samuel Ikin . 22 Sep 1911 . One Month . 8 Welsh Lane, Over
Fred Ikin . 29 May 1915 . 12 Months . 8 Stockhill, Over

Because of the address, I assume the unbaptised Ikin was one of their children. Considering my family were church-goers, I am still missing 3 children who died between 1894 and 1910; but found two others who were born and died after the 1911 Census.

On Family Search, I found births registered for Samuel and Fred, but also a Stanley.
Birth Registration: Samuel Ikin . Northwich Jul-Aug-Sep 1911
Mother's Maiden Name: Oakes . Volume: 8A . Page: 525 . Line: 31

Birth Registration: Stanley Ikin . Northwich Jul-Aug-Sep 1911
Mother's Maiden Name: Oakes . Volume: 8A . Page: 512 . Line: 32

Birth Registration: Fred Ikin . Northwich Apr-May-Jun 1914
Mother's Maiden Name: Oakes . Volume: 8A . Page: 511 . Line: 97

If there are no burial records, I assume they were not buried. It would seem they were not baptised either. I intend visiting Winsford in December and will look around the churchyard to see if there are any unrecorded clues. I was born and raised in the Over area of Winsford. Having checked online and through the church records, is there any other way of finding the missing information?

From the registration dates, could Samuel and Stanley have been twins?
It seems too much of a coincidence that Ikin is matched with Oakes in this small area. But the page numbers are different. I cannot find any death, so assume Stanley survived. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I feel one of the family left the nest never to be heard of again; but that was many years ago and could have been a dream. I found a marriage Oct-Dec 1938 of Stanley Ikin to Elsie M Woolley: W.Cheshire . 8a 985, which I need to check on the 1939 Register next time I am in the library. There is a death registered: Stanley Ikin, Oct-Nov-Dec 1991, with a birth date: 09 Jun 1911. Chester & Ellesmere Port . Volume: 35 . Page: 94. That is very close to my other birth and death dates.

In going back a generation, I know from the marriage register, her father was John Oakes, with the witness Ellen Oakes, probably a sister. I will post my findings after a little more digging.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Maternal Family Tree: Ikin, Oakes
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 17:01 BST (UK) »
From GRO index  :-\
IKIN, JOHN       mmn OAKES 
1896  Sept Quarter in NORTHWICH  Volume 08A  Page 277

IKIN, WILLIAM       mmn OAKES 
1898  March Quarter in NORTHWICH  Volume 08A  Page 278

ADDED death
IKIN, WILLIAM       0 
1898  March Quarter in NORTHWICH  Volume 08A  Page 188

IKIN, JANE       mmn OAKES 
1900  Dec Quarter in NORTHWICH  Volume 08A  Page 259

IKIN, MAGGIE       mmn OAKES 
1902  June Quarter in NORTHWICH  Volume 08A  Page 271

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 19 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks rosie99,
John and William look like two of the missing.
Jane in 1900, I assume was born and died before another Jane was born in 1901.
Maggie survived and was my grandmother.
I think the missing ones have been found and I can add their names.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 October 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
The Jane that I listed (Dec qtr 1901) is the same one you mention

Jane Ikin . Baptised: 21 Jun 1904 (29 Sep 1901)
Maggie Ikin . Baptised: 21 Jun 1904 (11 May 1902) - Grandmother]
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 October 19 14:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks rosie99, Looking again I realised it was the same Jane Ikin.

I am looking further into Stanley Ikin, and feel he is the twin of Samuel who died aged 1 month. Unable to find a death, I assume he survived to be an adult. As a family, this could be the one who was not openly mentioned.

There is a death for a Stanley Ikin: Oct-Dec 1991
Chester & Ellesmere Port Volume: 35 . Page: 94
Birth Date: 09 Jun 1911
The birth registration I have for Stanley and Samuel Ikin is Jul-Sep 1911. As Samuel died after one month, there could have been a delay in registering his birth.

There is also a marriage - Oct-Dec 1938 West Cheshire Volume: 8a Page: 985 Affiliate Line: 88
Spouse Name: Elsie M Woolley

I found nothing on the 1939 Register for Stanley, but he may have joined up for the war.
The only way to find more, is to purchase the marriage certificate, as that should indicate where he was born and his father's name. Considering I knew nothing about him, he has become the puzzle I need to solve, as doing so would conclude this generation.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 October 19 15:15 BST (UK) »
I found nothing on the 1939 Register for Stanley, but he may have joined up for the war.
The only way to find more, is to purchase the marriage certificate, as that should indicate where he was born and his father's name. Considering I knew nothing about him, he has become the puzzle I need to solve, as doing so would conclude this generation.

There has never been any birth information on Marriage Certificates from England or Wales.

On a Parish Register marriage entry, the words "of the parish of . . ." or "of this parish" refer to the place of residence at the time the banns were called.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 24 October 19 18:25 BST (UK) »
Of the 10 children mentioned in the 1911 Census, I now have 9 of them and possibly 3 more born after, the doubtful one being Stanley. Maybe the final one, born before 1911, is another un-named that will never be known.

I am confused with this. If Samuel and Stanley were twins, surely they would be registered at the same time and have the same, or sequential page numbers. Both are Ikin with their mother recorded as Oakes and both registered during the quarter Jul-Sep 1911. Samuel died aged one-month and the actual birth date of Stanley was 09 Jun 1911, from his death registration. That could mean both were born in June.

To register the death of Samuel, I assume his birth would need to be registered first. Surely at the same time you would register both births, though I do not understand how registers are compiled.

Thanks KGarrard, I appreciate the information on a marriage certificate is limited. The birth certificate for Stanley should give both parents and their address. That will show if he is part of my family, or not.

Is there a way of linking, or ruling out, the birth registration to marriage and death information?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 October 19 18:53 BST (UK) »
Of the 10 children mentioned in the 1911 Census, I now have 9 of them and possibly 3 more born after, the doubtful one being Stanley. Maybe the final one, born before 1911, is another un-named that will never be known.

I wonder if you are using the www.gro.gov.uk/ site to check out births, which show mothers maiden name.  You should be able to pick up all Ikin births with mmn Oakes and also search for deaths for these children.  Although you have to register it is free to use. 

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 October 19 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Pheno, I have been using FreeBMD and FamilySearch, with help from members of Rootschat. I registered with the GRO, but was not aware I you could search as you suggest. I will give it a try.

On FreeBMD I searched for a death of Stanley Ikin between 1911 and 1993. There were only three deaths registered and none fit with the birth date.

From FamilySearch I found the death registration:
Stanley Ikin . Chester & Ellesmere Port: Oct-Dec 1991
Birth Date: 09 Jun 1911
Volume: 35 Page: 94
This was not offered on Free BMD and the three I found on Free BMD were not offered by FamilySearch.

From the GRO I have ordered the birth certificate which will be sent on 31st October.
If Stanley is not part of my family, there is no point in me looking for the connection.